Range Rover Classic with Hiab

mickeyw

Which perusing that well known auction site I came across this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ranger-Rover-with-Hiab-Crane-amp-Which-V8-6-2-/161801514429?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I have no connection with this sale, but the photos have certainly peeked my interest. Does it belong to anyone on here? I'd love to know more about it.

post-7124-0-65085800-1440752747_thumb.jpg

post-7124-0-31849900-1440752803_thumb.jpg

The 6.2 is probably needed as a front axle weight to keep it level!!

It must drive like a supertanker, lean badly on bends, accelerate like a snail and take miles to stop!!

Surely an arctic tractor unit with a Hiab would be better suited?

Marc.

The RRC is not renowned for its handling anyway, but I agree this model's handling won't be any better than a standard one. I somehow doubt it spends much time on the motorway ;)

This really is one of those 'because you can' builds, and I think it looks cool. I bet it's a very useful tool. It may not be the best tool for the job, but if it's at all well built I'd love to have a chin wag with its builder.

There have been a lot of unusual conversions made with a LR as a base. Some are incredibly innovative and well built (the Log Rover is a fine example).

One of my own one day projects is to have full PTO hydraulics on my V8 110 - not especially sensible or efficient, but it's something I want to do and will make it more versatile for me.

I have a log splitter that we ran from PTO hydraulics on CwazyWabbit's 110 Tdi.

A trailer mounted Hiab would be dead handy, or even a tipping trailer perhaps - so much vapour :lol:

My mates got a small manually positioned crane with a 12v winch on it - it slots into a 5" dia socket on the trailer/hi-cap/whatever and off you go - it's a great tool for loading heavy and unwieldy items, we even did an engine swap in a field with it once.

I bet the fully hydraulic crane on this Range Rover is fantastically useful

• 3 months later...

I know of the vehicle and have helped a friend cut up an old scrap matador chassis using the rangie to move the various chunks/axles etc.

Can't comment on how it drives but it's a fairly solid well built truck, chassis being massively strengthened at the back to take the HIAB and legs.

Biggest problem with it is the HIAB pump is battery powered and the 6 batteries are all old and knackered. Could do with being driven off a pto from the LT95.

I know of the vehicle and have helped a friend cut up an old scrap matador chassis using the rangie to move the various chunks/axles etc.

Can't comment on how it drives but it's a fairly solid well built truck, chassis being massively strengthened at the back to take the HIAB and legs.

Biggest problem with it is the HIAB pump is battery powered and the 6 batteries are all old and knackered. Could do with being driven off a pto from the LT95.