Daft Question on Axles and Diffs

tweetyduck

I don't know what a pulse ambulance is, sorry, but odds are you have a Rover axle in the front and a Salisbury in the back, unless it's relatively modern. Either way, the TruTrack would only fit the front. Hopefully someone more up to date will chime in as I believe there are some compatibility issues beyond that.

Hi, its a pulse as I said which means its a 1998 300Tdi on a 130 XD chassi with the "normal" wolf 24 spline XD axles as fas as i know.

The Front Diff assembly is FTC3272

The Rear Diff assembly is FTC3483 (at least theres no varient for the Ambulance shown so its likely the 110 assembly)

does that give you enough to work out if someone would call it a 24 spline Rover? As the question is would i just be able to bolt in a TrueTrack destined for a "Rover 24 spline"

OK thanks. Ashrofts sell em so i suppose Dave might know. Its an auto locking diff as far as i can describe.

A Trutrac is not exactly a locking diff. It's more an automatic torque balancing unit (how do you explain that in six words or less? There are videos on youtube showing how it works). I believe that they are quite sturdy. A friend has one in his alleged 90 (shortened 110) and it has taken many years of off road abuse.

• 3 weeks later...

An Automatic Torque Biasing diff does not lock, it only spreads the torque to each side IF there is traction avaiable.

Lift a wheel and it will stop moving. This can be helped along by adding braking to each wheel which will proved enough drag to enable the diff to work again.

Without traction to one wheel and the diff works as an open diff.

The strenght of a 4 pin diff and an aftermarket LSD will generally be similar as the centre has a similar machined style, 2 pin diffs are the weakest and are cast.

IIRC ATB diffs work well in the front (perhaps because they don't lock?), my friend has a V8 J#$p with some kind of auto locker in the rear axle (Detroit?) and with a heavy right foot on tarmac it leaps sideways as we found out in traffic and parked cars!

The hangover didn't help his reactions?

• 10 months later...

I have had a TruTrac in the rear axle (when it was a Rover axle) of an 88. The TruTrac, unlike a Detroit for example, is torque biasing, so there's very little to notice about it, except when you need it. As mentioned above, it is not a locking differential. If only one wheel has traction, it does not help. You can spoof it a bit by braking at the same time as applying throttle. There is no noticeable clutch action or loading/unloading with the TruTrac.

For a Series 4.7:1 diff, the TruTrac was quite a strong unit. In the above mentioned application, I have no idea. I did experience a number of long side half-shaft breaks at the diff end - but these were the chocolate and tin alloy Series half-shafts.

I would much rather have a selectable locking differential. If that is not feasible or cost effective, the TruTrac, in my experience (an 88") was useful - and that included use in the Malaysian rainforest.