LED headlamps

You won't be disappointed Scott. They have a good quality feel! Am yet to fit and try them mind!

They are dead simple to fit as you know.. I need to adjust the aim of mine as they were low (but so were the old lights too, my fault!) but they are way way brighter than the H4 units.. :)

My headlamps arrived today from Germany as well as the looms from Richard (reb78...cheers!). The female econoseals are fitted to the sidelight wiring and I was sorely tempted to fit them this evening but I have a set of stainless steel retainers on order at my friends 4x4 emporium so I'll have to wait. My new original retainers are starting to blister and rust at just under a year old so it's as good a time as any to change them over.

Yes Richard, the White/purple is the earth for the side lights, Black is the +12v. I see the earth for the H4 connector is white too...remember these are U.S. made so that may explain their odd colour choice.

Ford and Vauxhall used to be a pain...GM had brown as earth and black for +12v, Ford were the other way round.

I got a free work light too, I also noticed the price of €249 on each lamp box (plus tax I assume) so a bit of a bargain.

More photos here:

Wiring (left to right) is
Purple - GND (presume side light ground)

Black - PWR (presume this will be the side light or are they daylight running lights too?)

White - GND (presume main and dipped beam ground)

Green - LB (presume low beam / dipped beam)

Red - HB (presume high beam / main beam)

Rob

edit: an interesting thought... I presume that the "dim dip" function if you still have it working and wired will need to be removed given the box says 9V upwards.... and I thought "dim dip" was 1/2 the operating voltage (6v) .... [i'll ditch that on mine when I get round to wiring it]

another intesting point is that they are reasuringly heavy hence have a good thick aluminium heatsink.... the problem with LED's is although they use less power... is they don't like temperature variation hence the heatsink is a good idea to keep the LED temperature low (as possible) .... however the old light fittings are installed within plastic bowls... hence are good at insulating from heatloss and prevent good airflow across the back of the heatsink .... when I get round to installing mine I may modify to ensure good air circulation and therefore good heat disipation for the heatsink (long way off fitting these...)

... incidently the sticker on the side of my box said 199 Euro... hence I would no put much faith in a sticker we're all happy with the price.

post-29552-0-04187600-1442045991_thumb.jpg

post-29552-0-46503100-1442046018_thumb.jpg

post-29552-0-50633400-1442046047_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the wiring confirmation. Wouldn't want to frazzle them at first turn on by doing it incorrectly!

I had thought the same about the headlight bowls and airflow/heat flow. I think the later ones have a much larger hole at the back, so I am considering opening the hole up with my 52mm hole saw. Having said that, I kind of like the idea of them being protected in that cocoon. I wonder how much difference the bowl will make?

Yup work lights fine, looks like it will do what it says on the tin and as an unexpected freebee I'm happy, and I'd look at their website in the future too

Headlight bowls, not a clue of the right answer, all options considered, may be worth an internet consensus search given the same lamps are also used in Jeeps and Harley led conversions and I'm sure there would have been a muttering about airflow from someone (may be worth an email to the manufacturers and see what they officially say with a few photos showing the bowled and lamp recess... Worst is they don't answer)

Rob

I put a three inch hole saw through the back of my plastic headlamp bowls when I had halogens fitted so I had access to replace bulbs without messing about at the front end. That's always an option if you're concerned about airflow

Aren't LED lights not only supposed to draw far less current, but as a result of this produce far less heat??

they do on both counts... but the problem is they don't like warm temperature... they love cold just not to get hot it degrades their lifespan (hence big heatsink to take the heat away as quick as possible).