LED headlamps

I'd be interested in knowing what your thoughts are now you all have had a chance to live with them for a while . I'd certainly like to be as visible as possible

to the masses of drivers that seem not to notice 2.5t of LandRover rather too often . To that end I'm actually considering DRL's too .....

cheers

Steveb

No, Mo, not several hundred. But, by the time i had priced in e marked crystals from say bolton bits, a set of relays, appropriate wiring, probably new bulbs and my time to make up the looms etc, they are probably £100 ish more. Given that they are a straight swap and they provide better low beam (especially if you adjust them correctly) and excellent high beam i think that makes them worth it. To be honest, i was quite disappointed until they were readjusted last week, but now i feel better about spending the money.

I'd be interested in knowing what your thoughts are now you all have had a chance to live with them for a while . I'd certainly like to be as visible as possible

to the masses of drivers that seem not to notice 2.5t of LandRover rather too often . To that end I'm actually considering DRL's too .....

cheers

Steveb

They're alright Steve. Certainly bright to look at so i think they would certainly help with being seen! They were easy for me to change in an hour (perhaps less), but i guess a set of crystals and a bit of time setting up the appropriate relays etc will improve the low beam lighting suitably to be able to see.

I've opted for the Crystal type rear reflectors and Osram night breakers....

Pretty good light and definitely good enough to drive with in the countryside....

To save my light switch I plan to fit relays but the man reason is the switch and not expecting a dramatic illumination change....

I like the look of the LED lights but think they are "too stealable" and to date not seen any vast improvement in the light quality over my current setup.

Now if I could have what a colleague has in his new AMG 63.... That would be worth an upgrade.... It recognises and shields drivers ahead and oncoming from the headlight glare while offering something like main beam for all other areas of the road in front.. Very adaptable and very effective!!

http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/adaptive_high_beam_assist/detail.html

As an aside I installed a loom and relays in my latest Puma and went for Wipac Crystal and installed the Nightbreakers that I'd been runing in the standard lamps in this vehicle and the two previous ones. I have no forward facing auxiliary illumination on this vehicle but find the setup perfectly acceptable.

On my Hybrid I had replaced all the wires to the headlights, used separate relays for both Lo/hi beams, installed VW Golf II clear lens headlights topping it all off with Osram +50% bulbs. Even with all of these "upgrades" changing over to the LED headlights produced a huge difference with light output and light spread on the road and ditch.

post-194-0-56774500-1449735202_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-58341500-1449735229_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-08996700-1449735250_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-62909200-1449735265_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-74926600-1449735279_thumb.jpg

In the above pictures the LED's were not properly aligned, we ended up adjusting the headlights with 2 rotations upward on the up/down adjuster screw.

I agree that even with the multitude of "upgrades" to the standard lighting system the lighting is better but changing to LED is still even better. Light output and light spread is considerably better unfortunately at a cost. Time is on our side though, as prices have began to come down on LED headlights.

Todd.

I bought a set of the truck lite LED's for my RRC and I think they're a massive improvement.

In the CSK I had Wipac crystal with Halfords 120% brighter bulbs and I made up a relay wiring loom, I've put the LED lamps into the 4 door and they're a massive improvement. I'm even thinking about buying a set for my MGB GT V8 :)

Been driving an LED-equipped truck this evening, I have to say I am not very impressed, no idea what make they are, but less bright that my Audi on dipped beam, and that is stock bulbs, and they were never very good on dipped, main however is great.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a love hate relationship with these lights. On the motorway the other night, in the rain spray with the light brown coloured tarmac and i hated them. Got off the motorway into the proper dark (no street lamps or other cars about) and black tarmac and i thought they were great!

I really dont know if i like them or not!

I know what you mean - they seem to suffer on certain road surfaces. I tend to notice it on damp roads, especially if there's spray - they just don't seem to light the road up that well. But on other roads, in the dry etc they are very bright...

I wonder if it's to do with the colour temperature of the light being very white/pale compared to normal lights. My point of reference is an imported subaru that has ridiculously bright HIDs though - not sure if it was fitted with higher power units in Japan but they light the road up like nothing else I've had!

Well after now making my truck proper wade-able... I've been thinking about the earlier incident where I flooded out my trusty wipecs and popped the bulbs... this has led (pardon the pun) me to taking a bit of interest in this thread, mainly due to the fact they're a sealed unit... but the whole getting snowed/iced up issue really kind put a damper on the topic for me, and then it kinda goes against the grain having to fit ones with glass heaters to keep them clear whatever the weather...

So for now I just stuck gaffer tape around the rubber gator thing on the back of the lamp to help stop water flooding in them... will wait and see how people get on with them...

I know what you mean - they seem to suffer on certain road surfaces. I tend to notice it on damp roads, especially if there's spray - they just don't seem to light the road up that well. But on other roads, in the dry etc they are very bright...

I wonder if it's to do with the colour temperature of the light being very white/pale compared to normal lights. My point of reference is an imported subaru that has ridiculously bright HIDs though - not sure if it was fitted with higher power units in Japan but they light the road up like nothing else I've had!

I was wondering if it was a colour temperature thing too. I was amazed at the difference once I got off of the motorway onto black tarmac in the dark.

Well after now making my truck proper wade-able... I've been thinking about the earlier incident where I flooded out my trusty wipecs and popped the bulbs... this has led (pardon the pun) me to taking a bit of interest in this thread, mainly due to the fact they're a sealed unit... but the whole getting snowed/iced up issue really kind put a damper on the topic for me, and then it kinda goes against the grain having to fit ones with glass heaters to keep them clear whatever the weather...So for now I just stuck gaffer tape around the rubber gator thing on the back of the lamp to help stop water flooding in them... will wait and see how people get on with them...

In the recent snow I never had any issues with frosting over, wouldn't say it's any more of a chore than having to get out and wipe the halogens down once the filthy road spray bakes onto the halogens and reduces light output to a candle...my mk7 transit headlights get filthy and opaque very quickly.

• 10 months later...

Well, it's nearly 18 months since I fitted my truck lites and after a 6 hour run with them on yesterday in the cold, I gave them a wipe at the end of my journey and noticed condensation on the inside of the lens! It was gone this morning, but back again after a 45ish minute run with them on. Is anyone else with these having this issue? It's the first time I've noticed it with mine. Is it a fault that I should chase with the supplier? (Not sure what the warranty was now)

• Like 1

My OE xenons in the VXR have a little condensation every now and then...very dependendant on ambient conditions though. The rear LED clusters in the Evoque were very prone to this too, I did highlight it to the dealer at the time and was told it was nothing to worry about.

I installed a pair of these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/led-headlight-kit-h4-led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kit-with-flexible-tinned-copper-braid/2221/

but see that they are listed as being discontinued. I am quite happy with them. I purchased a set of the Quadratec LED replacement headlights for my Jeep JK and am really pleased with them also. However they are pricy.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0001_14.htm

I have also replaced all of the other lights on the truck with LED's.  I have an LED equipped MGB and learned to be very visible so that the texting Millennials would not ride up my rear bumper.  Not so much of a problem in a Defender...