LED headlamps

Got my bezels today so stuck mine in tonight. I thought I'd be smart and fit the female econoseals to the headlights....only to discover the nakatenenga splice looms come with 2 female sets and one male set of connectors. Bugger. So, a hunt around my electrical goodies was left wanting so it was a case of soldering and heat shrinking the splice loom to the headlights. Just a minor set back...and like the light wiring nakatenenga use the black for +12v on the loom too (green being earth)

Some pics

AE89B0B6-412D-4EAD-A2B1-344CD2CDD94C_zps

One of each

2C39BA89-6836-4ED0-8DA6-AE78595122EA_zps

And the corresponding beams

ACA80F99-F5E9-452B-A100-340DDB5168C4_zps

Both installed

801A4243-98A3-4FB3-8700-30632B3D62CD_zps

Sidelights on

B6C0F3D8-3EAC-40F6-AFD0-B8814B650B88_zps

Main/dip beam

Haven't been out for a run but they're definitely bright!!

• 4 weeks later...

How are folks getting on with these in use? I have to say, i find them a little dull in dusk conditions and they don't seem to light much up until it really goes dark whereas the halogen ones would cast a helpful glow at dusk. I think i have them setup correctly - MOT due soon so will get the alignment checked properly then.

Yes pretty similar to your description. I have OE xenon/HID headlights in my other car and find it quite similar to their performance...ie a bit less infill at dusk. I have no issues when its dark as they perform really well. I suppose it's all down to the "colour" they throw out, it is a clean white light.

Yes pretty similar to your description. I have OE xenon/HID headlights in my other car and find it quite similar to their performance...ie a bit less infill at dusk. I have no issues when its dark as they perform really well. I suppose it's all down to the "colour" they throw out, it is a clean white light.

That's reassuring. I think its down to getting used to them really

Earlier i think. From reading around, the later ones have a heater element in the lens to help with icing up in the winter in snowy conditions. I think for mine i will use Bowies idea of a washer with suitable concentration of screenwash in it and adapt the rear door washer pump/switch to do the headlights. That is, if it even proves to be a problem over here in the South East!

Earlier i think. From reading around, the later ones have a heater element in the lens to help with icing up in the winter in snowy conditions. I think for mine i will use Bowies idea of a washer with suitable concentration of screenwash in it and adapt the rear door washer pump/switch to do the headlights. That is, if it even proves to be a problem over here in the South East!

The later ones are similar to the originals but with the 2 front position lights in the center divider. The the lights with the heater element are a "upgraded" version that can be ordered for cold climates. This has to be mentioned so that no one immediately thinks that if he/she ordered the lights now that they will automatically get the lights with the heater elements built into the lens.

Todd.

• 1 month later...

I'm quite used to them now. Beam cut off is very sharp but it's a very clean crisp light. Mine was MOTd a couple of weeks ago and the levels and pattern was spot on, the tester did have a few comments mostly about how they performed on the road. Main beam does have a longer reach than the wipacs (with night breakers) so all in all pretty decent. The first night I tried them I would have contemplated swapping back for the same reasons Reb mentioned above (minimal flood/fill), however I'm glad I persevered.

I haven't had any oncoming drivers flashing or gesturing about being dazzled, with the beam pattern being so defined you can see where it cuts off on the oncoming vehicles.

I'm quite used to them now. Beam cut off is very sharp but it's a very clean crisp light. Mine was MOTd a couple of weeks ago and the levels and pattern was spot on, the tester did have a few comments mostly about how they performed on the road. Main beam does have a longer reach than the wipacs (with night breakers) so all in all pretty decent. The first night I tried them I would have contemplated swapping back for the same reasons Reb mentioned above (minimal flood/fill), however I'm glad I persevered.

I haven't had any oncoming drivers flashing or gesturing about being dazzled, with the beam pattern being so defined you can see where it cuts off on the oncoming vehicles.

I'm still struggling with them Scott! I'm really not sure i like them! I agree with everything else you say about them above though. Mine does need its MOT so i will get the beam alignment double checked then. I'm kind of hoping i have overadjusted them!

Most of my night driving is on single track unlit roads with the odd A-road thrown in so that may have something to do with it? I have noticed when on a dual carriageway that they highlight reflective signs/road markers/cats eyes with a high degree of brilliance...almost to the dazzling my self stage with some large signs!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this. I had my MOT last week. I had adjusted the lights too low. The MOT station re-adjusted them for me and they are much better on low beam now - much more like my 2006 BMW. High beam was never a problem (especially with my spot lights).

I found similar - too low and they aren't that impressive, but adjust them up a small amount and all of a sudden they seem a load brighter!

Is anyone else noticing condensation/mist inside them after having them turned on for a while? Mine have a tiny bit of mist on the insides of the lenses after they have been running for a while - guess they were assembled somewhere humid and it's condensing on the inside of the lens now its cold outside...

Jon,

I had an occurrence like yours once after installing them. I simply ran with the lights on (200km round trip) which appeared to produce enough heat to eliminate the mist on the inside of the lens that has not reappeared since. ca. 2 years Even with the weather that we are having now my lights are clear.

Todd.