Series security

Anderzander

there are lots of things you could do,

switched stop solenoid feed, immobiliser (just immobiliser not alarm too), hidden isolater key, pedal lock, gearbox lock, etc.

most of this you will have do design and build for yourself. the companies who do this for defender don't see a profit in series vehicles unfortunately.

Like they said.

Most has to be DIY as the industry thinks we're a minority not worth their profits.

We have several things done for when we're abroad.

Here, we have dogs and shotguns...

switched feed to stop solenoid waste of time , as anyone looking to steal , will know to put a wire to stop solenoid on pump.

The only things that you can try and make starting difficult , and buy time. try putting a tap in the fuel supply line , in a well hidden place that you can access. Steering wheel disclock . A method of locking pedals or gear lever , trans lever in low for example.

Series were of the technology, that used to allow you to start a lot of vehicles with just a 3penny bit in the fuse box. A 200tdi need just two jump wires to start and run . HTSH

• 2 weeks later...

Add as many different deterrents as possible, if it is a pain to you it is a time delay to them and may only may make them think twice. But TBH no one will supprised at some one on the side of the road pulling wiring out of an old LR!

Probably the most dissuading bit will be the delay of having some want to talk about it??.??

Good luck

Marc

Other options include brake and clutch line locks. Popular in italy, for some reason, they nobble the hydraulic lines so that they can't be used. There is some question as to the legality of their use in the UK, so research first. Doesn't stop the HIAB merchants, but stops a drive away.

G.

I still like Simons (xeng) pedal blocking flap, but not sure if it's available for all utilitarian landrover shape vehicles of just the defender

Yes it is pricy but its probably one of the biggest things that someone braking into the vehicle will say boll%%&£! Now what do I do...? And either smash hell out of it or walk away...

Smartwater stickers probably help if the intent is breaking it... But not an opportunistic joy ride or ram raid tool..

Then there is the trackers (but I've heard that proper thieves will use a radio frequency radio detector device) so who knows plus you have the ongoing cost if using a managed service...but I've heard that some insurance companies make them mandatory on 100k plus vehicles (hence the ongoing managed cost pricing of some of the better signal ones)... I have heard that the gsm managed ones can be a pia...given if they loose signal you get a phone call from the mgmt co or if the GPS coordinates change... But I have heard of similar with tractors and GPS alarms at 3am in the morning... Where the owners log on to the engine management software and nope it ain't moved.

Really you want something that shackles or incapacitates the would be thief in the drivers seat until you return for a enquiring chat (...tazer type device...(can't see that being legal any time soon but neither is thieft so which came first chicken or egg in a defence claim...))

Rob

Most has to be DIY as the industry thinks we're a minority not worth their profits.

I don't think that's fair!

Although it sounds easy to design a product and sell it - there are a lot of costs involved in design, development, prototyping, testing, marketing, advertising a new product. Any product is a gamble - as you have no idea at the outset if anyone will buy it, and often you make a loss over all. Many of X-Eng's products took 3 years to pay for the development costs and some never did.

You have to choose very carefully and unless you want to go bust, go after the ones that are the best bet.

Si

I usually take 2 wheels of :)

an extra solonoid in fuel line might help. It will run for a little then but not that far.

mine has a manual stop lever (so no electric solonoid).

maybe 4 freewheeling hubs and put them all in free ;) hahah i'd love to see the look on the face of the guy trying to drive away!!!

That's a good idea - a mechanical fuel switch/valve hidden in a subtle place. Can one get such a thing, I wonder?

Could you not plumb in a hidden tap fairly easily by extending the fuel lines and fitting a fuel cut off tap similar to those found on small 4 stroke engines (mowers, wacker plate, generator, etc.)

Just have to make sure that it's both hidden but not vulnerable/likely to knocked as I doubt having the engine keep cutting out would be much fun!

James

On my series, I put a fuel stop solenoid from a Truck inside the chassis rail. The fuel line went into the chassis then popped out in the engine bay. The wiring came out of a different hole. Threading all the tubes & getting the solenoid in was tricky - but possible.

I connected several of the lights to relays so they needed to be on / off in the right combination to supply power to the solenoid. When the engine was running, the solenoid was powered by the Alternator Charge light - so the lights could be on / off in any combination once it is running.

It was sometimes a bit confusing if it stalled in traffic - having to remember what combo of lights would make it run, but you soon get the idea and it becomes second nature.

Si

On my series, I put a fuel stop solenoid from a Truck inside the chassis rail. The fuel line went into the chassis then popped out in the engine bay. The wiring came out of a different hole. Threading all the tubes & getting the solenoid in was tricky - but possible.

I connected several of the lights to relays so they needed to be on / off in the right combination to supply power to the solenoid. When the engine was running, the solenoid was powered by the Alternator Charge light - so the lights could be on / off in any combination once it is running.

It was sometimes a bit confusing if it stalled in traffic - having to remember what combo of lights would make it run, but you soon get the idea and it becomes second nature.

Si

I had a similar thought about using a relay or 2 in the ignition system controlled by a pattern of switches, much like your fuel solenoid Si, that combined with as many physical defences (fuel tap, gear/transfer box lock (or removalable sticks) and pedal lock should prevent or deter a drive away theft, and lots of chain and concrete attached to axles and Chassis to stop the hiab buggers!

James

Powering it by

Si

sounds good. A hidden push button combined with alternator light steering a relay sounds solid. You can't forget to enable the mechanism that way... however. If there is enough fuel in the lines for just starting up the enging the relay flips and the engine is running anyhows.

I'd prefer a toggle switch.

Whatever you do, you have to be sure it'll be safe if it malfunctions while you're driving at speed or on a dangerous piece of road or trail. So, while the hydraulic locks are legal in clutch lines, they are illegal and unsafe in brake lines, and ideas like blinding dash strobe lights or tasers are positively lethal if they go off accidentally.

Just as an aside, are we aware of series land rover being stolen at the moment. I am not sure were to put the series, in simon's R words: 'you couldn't give a series away'. Which would mean not interesting for thieves. But a restored example fetches strong money these days, so I am not so sure how things are with them.

Daan

It seems there may not be a massive demand for security specifically designed for a series motor, not at least for a company with overheads etc.

however. I have recently got my welder running properly, and am keen to create something for my own truck.

If at the same time, anyone on here wants something to protect their series, or at least put off potential thieves, drop me a PM, and ill see what i can do! I don't want to descuss the design or specifics of anything security wise on here, hence the PM.

I will happily post up a few pictures of anything i might make along these lines to show the general gist of things, but nothing that may comprimise security

Anyone interested? I'm keen to make things which suit individual vehicles and their owners rather than one thing repeated over and over.

On my Capri I used a miniture toggle switch under the dash, the trick was that it was a three way switch with Off-On-Off.

When parked and set to Off in the up position if found the thief would put the switch down which as it was a miniture switch was most likely to go past On and down to the second Off without realising.

On my Capri I used a miniture toggle switch under the dash, the trick was that it was a three way switch with Off-On-Off.

When parked and set to Off in the up position if found the thief would put the switch down which as it was a miniture switch was most likely to go past On and down to the second Off without realising.

Going off your suggestion I just installed a 25Amp 2 way switch under the dash that is coupled directly to the ignition. With the ignition switched to the "on" position, there is no power til the switch is engaged. The switch is somewhat hidden and is unmarked so should slow down a thief.

Yes. We can only try to slow them down. If they want it - they'll take it.

Hidden switch is needed for the fuel solenoid - and a remote controlled fuel line valve will see the guy running out of fuel after bout 300 mtrs... I hope it will die and be left behind.

Did consider a remote controlled C4 package...