Range Rover TD6 compared to D2 TD5

reb78

Can anyone tell me how well the TD6 compares against the TD5 for on road performance? DO they have a similar amount of get up and go (whatever level that may be)?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how they compare. I have a TD5 in a D2 and am just trying to get a feel for how similar the TD6 would be - obviously they are different in gearing and weight, but some idea of comparison of spriteliness (or lack of) would be great.

Can't give you a direct comparison but comparing the figures would suggest that a stock Td6 would feel like a Td5 with an intercooler and mapping upgrade (in a D2 sized vehicle). The man I'd suggest you talk to is J.J. Fearn, he's well versed in the Td5, but when I was doing my Td5 conversion I was optioning a TDV6 and called him. He put me straight on that at the time and talked to me about his Td6 racers, so I believe he has good knowledge there too. I remember him being a very affable guy to talk to.

EDIT: It's supposed to be a cracking engine and one of the most robust diesel units out of BMW (designated the M57). I've been thinking about ditching my Td5 now and going Td6. It's also capable of a good bit more power than a Td5.

Speaking from direct experience, the TD6 in standard form has more get up and go than standard td5 auto. I personally think both feel a little sluggish off the line but when moving the TD6 feels much quicker. Certainly the TD6 is much better when overtaking at motorway speeds.

You might not want to trust me though as I have a TD6 for sale :ph34r:

Fearn isnt into it anymore IIRC due personal situation . The TD6 , as fitted in my110 CSW has a lot more shove than the TD5

in my disco2 , the TD6 has been remapped , but it is having to move a lot more than the TD5 . The TD5 was reckoned to be as smooth as a 6 , but the TD6 is far smoother , like comparing a V12 with a V8 . JMHO

Can't give you a direct comparison (so can in no way answer your question in any tangible way :glare: ) but a friend had a P38 with the 2.5 6 cyl diesel in and I was shocked how lively it was for a relatively old auto. I had an 07 2.5td ranger manual (ok only 4cyl but much newer and high techie) and I once saw him coming up behind me and planning to overtake me so I went for it thinking I would easily block him (as the responsible, safe driver I am) but I couldn't get anywhere near. OK he had a head start speed wise but I couldn't catch him. Very disappointing :blush:

P38 with the 2.5 6 cyl diesel in and I was shocked how lively it was for a relatively old auto.

Really? Because that's pretty much the most horrible LR I've ever driven. So many revs and so much downshifting... not ideal when you live at the bottom of a hill which it likes to scream up with a cold engine...

I have a Td5 110 and a V6 RRS. The 110 is Manual - so difficult to make a direct comparison like for like.

The acceleration from 0-30 is a little better on the Td5 but from 30 upwards, the V6 wins hands down - and has a much higher top speed.

Thus, the Td5 (chipped) develops more torque at low RPM.

My friend used to have a Td5 Auto D2 and from what I remember it performed similarly to my 110 - better at low speed worse at higher.

Si

Thanks chaps. I was specifically after td5 and td6 (straight 6) comparisons really (not the v6) I'm wondering whether to get a td6 range rover in the he place of these d2 but am worried the performance might be disappointing from what I have read hence asking for the comparisons.

I drive both all the time,road testing after servicing / diagnosis etc. There isnt really much comparison,for such a large car the TD6 is a fair bit quicker than a TD5 if both are standard. The TD6 has a 5spd auto with better software than the TD5,(Which is the cars worst fault as a vehicle) so you tend to point and squirt with the TD6 and concentrate on steering rather than being distracted by the TD5's box not shifting when you think it should.

So the TD6 is a better road car,sharper steering better cornering etc. BUT all this comes at a price, many TD6 failures are very expensive,GM autoboxes are at their limit in a standard car driven sensibly.Chipped and a tow bar make things even worse.The worst one I looked after had 3 engines,2 turbo's and 2 boxes to get to 120,000m... The wealthy owner eventually gave up on it.

Parts prices are higher too,but overall its still cheaper to fix than a D3/RR Sport.... (Horrid things)

Really? Because that's pretty much the most horrible LR I've ever driven. So many revs and so much downshifting... not ideal when you live at the bottom of a hill which it likes to scream up with a cold engine...

I don't know how it would compare on a straight drag as he was going faster than me and I was expecting to walk it so didn't do as well as I could have but yup, I couldn't block him or catch him in time to pass him before the speeds got inappropriate.

Hi

I have never driven a rr td6 but can compare the two engines in a 90". I must say that an untweaked td6 is a REALY nice engine, and the tweaked td5 can only just reach the same level of powerfeeling but not the smoothness. That said I reckon that a rr and a disco are two quite different vehicles so the trouble may more lay in the "wrapping" of the engine vehicle wise? :-)

mads

Thanks chaps. I was specifically after td5 and td6 (straight 6) comparisons really (not the v6) I'm wondering whether to get a td6 range rover in the he place of these d2 but am worried the performance might be disappointing from what I have read hence asking for the comparisons.

Is it actually the TD(V)6 you're asking about? Sounds like you're talking about the BMW M52 (straight six turbo diesel) from the P38 Range Rover? They are very different beasts.

I don't know how it would compare on a straight drag as he was going faster than me and I was expecting to walk it so didn't do as well as I could have but yup, I couldn't block him or catch him in time to pass him before the speeds got inappropriate.

The M52 in the P38 is not bad once the turbo is wound up, but it's pretty gutless at low revs, and suffers from massive turbo lag, so it's quite nice to drive once it's moving but terrible off the line (with an auto box - manual would be better provided you didn't mind engaging in some clutch abuse). That said, it's still underpowered for the weight of a P38 and it's not great for overtaking, so unless your friend's was chipped I doubt he'd have made the overtake without the run up.

Is it actually the TD(V)6 you're asking about? Sounds like you're talking about the BMW M52 (straight six turbo diesel) from the P38 Range Rover? They are very different beasts.

He explicitly stated not the TDV6. The early L322s came with a 3L 6-cylinder BMW diesel.

No problem Geoff - The TD6 L322 is in my price range and there are more of them for sale than the V8 petrols for some reason. I had read lots of reports of the TD6 being quite gutless, but if it is a bit quicker motor than my TD5 then it should suit my needs, hence the question about how they compare. I just want a comfy motorway cruiser in this, not a speed machine.