Brake disc's and pads - best make ?

IanT90

Spotted a set which includes a pair of: rear brake disc's and 4 pads - not come across the manufacturer Mintex - Anyone used or heard of them or should I avoid !

With exception of genuine parts any recommendations ?

Regards Ian

Mintex are good OEM brand, Made by a company called TMD friction.

I've never had a problem with mintex products, but some people claim their brake pads squeal.

Other good brands to look out for are:

Delphi

Ferodo (OE brake pads on 300tdi defenders)

Pagid (also made by TMD friction)

Mintex are a decent and relatively frugal brand used by many car manufacturers. You won't have any problems with them. I like EBC Green Stuff pads, but others have reported some crumbling issues. It might be batches or use - I have them on my RRC and that doesn't go off road, so may be a factor, but they gave great braking improvement.

• Like 1

I fitted Mintex before my recent trip from the UK to Greece and back (110 CSW 300TDI) and they started to rattle after about 2.5K miles and then squeal and squeal. I had used new fitting kits (the pins, springs and split pins). The front discs were new and the callipers were all new (AP). Tried copper grease but I can't stop the squeal. Taken off, sprayed with cleaner, fitted again with a bit of copper. They still squeal. I blame the pads and when I get chance I will be changing them for another brand to try to find the cause. If that doesn't help I'll check the disc run-out. :angry2:

Thanks for the advice much appreciated, plenty of things to consider and now I know Mintex are a good reputable OEM firm for the future.

My personal preference though has always been Ferodo pads, and always has been as far back as I can remember.

I have since posting this thread found some Ferodo pads for the same price as the Mintex, so this may become a no brainer.

Must admit I have not got around to replacing the front pads yet, as they had plenty of wear left last time I checked but they do rattle so they will be next to be changed.

Plan is to refurb the whole rear brake system first though, new calipers, disc's, pads and the hoses. The front discs are in good condition, I replaced the N/S caliper when I did wheel bearings, seals etc so once the rear is sorted I will replace the O/S caliper and both sets of front pads.

After that it should give me whip lash whenever I step on the brake pedal to stop :hysterical:

My greenstuff pads have been less than impressive. Never had a problem with minted pads. Ive been waiting to wear out the current pads to swap to minted but they just aren't wearing. They squeal constantly St the moment such an annoying trait

My greenstuff pads have been less than impressive. Never had a problem with minted pads. Ive been waiting to wear out the current pads to swap to minted but they just aren't wearing. They squeal constantly St the moment such an annoying trait

I also had EBC drilled and grooved discs, all replaced at the same time. never a judder or squeal, but markedly better braking than the original OEM pads and discs which were in worn but fair condition. What discs do you use with the EBC pads?

BP drilled / slotted / vented discs & Mintex pads (F) & BP drilled / slotted discs & Mintex pads ®, had these on my 90 for about 3-years now and they are excellent. I swopped to this set-up as I fitted BP drilled / slotted / vented discs & Mintex pads to the front of my wife's Freelander and was impressed with the performance.

Time has shown that on both vehicles they are wearing very well.

Never had any squealing trouble with mintex pads luckily. Over the last 5 years I've found a combination of Lockheed discs and mintex pads has done the job well.

I did have a spell where I thought the rear pads had lost their grip but I suspect it was down to dicky calipers. The problem disappeared with new calipers and pads, the old pads showing no sign of glazing.

HTH

Mo

The idea behind the drillings is to allow the gasses created by the pad heating to escape into pockets rather than "lubricate" the friction interface. The grooves are for self cleaning. If you are doing sustained braking that causes a lot of heat build up, then the drillings should help. But for normal use, they will reduce contact area, and so reduce braking slightly. For off road use, they will collect mud and accelerate wear like said above. The best discs for off road applications is plain solid discs - not vented, grooved or drilled.

The idea behind the drillings is to allow the gasses created by the pad heating to escape into pockets rather than "lubricate" the friction interface. The grooves are for self cleaning. If you are doing sustained braking that causes a lot of heat build up, then the drillings should help. But for normal use, they will reduce contact area, and so reduce braking slightly. For off road use, they will collect mud and accelerate wear like said above. The best discs for off road applications is plain solid discs - not vented, grooved or drilled.

On the "road" V8 I have vented discs, on the working 110 i have solid discs - horses for courses!