Steve200TDi's New Racer!!

same colour as mine. good old tractor paint. tough stuff!. dont forget to lacquer it or it will fade.... mind did :-(

Good to know, as this has happened on the defender 90, but as Mike said it's an off roader. But, as it's not road legal it wont get that much use/weather so it could last longer!

Does it just need normal aerosol lacquer?

Steve

As part of Slindon Shakedown I also found that the trailer needed some tlc too!

One of the trailer brakes was sticking and I later found that it was the brake cable that had seized.

I had a look underneath and found that 4 of the cables were in poor condition so the decision was made to replace all 6 cables!

post-7712-0-97440900-1446627615_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-51990500-1446627598_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-70959100-1446627608_thumb.jpg

Decided to strip the brakes down too and clean, inspect and replace if need be before rebuilding.

All parts were ok.

post-7712-0-78694800-1446627756_thumb.jpg

Shiny new brake cables (obviously had to go for red DaveTurnball!) only £1 more for stainless cables!

post-7712-0-66173700-1446627775_thumb.jpg

Started putting it all back together!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It must be time for an update, it's been a busy and eventful couple of weeks!

So after a busy couple of months sorting the racer and trailer out, testing, purchasing helmets, sorting a co driver out it was finally time to leave for Driven to the Edge.

post-7712-0-22861600-1448903956_thumb.jpg

Graham kindly volunteered to tow and Chris (GBMUD) came along to marshal and to support as well as Si (SimonR).

We knew the weather wasn't going to be the best, so we packed gazebo's and waterproofs!

We arrived late afternoon and set up camp alongside Tim Jones motorhome.

Saturday morning came and I unwrapped the car to put it through scrutineering, thankfully it passed with only the corners on the cars numbers needing radiusing.

Me and my co driver got suited and booted and we were soon waiting on the start line after attending the drivers briefing.

post-7712-0-39512100-1448905075_thumb.jpg

We took the first lap steady tackling some rocky sections, some bumpy sections and some wide open sections. There were punch areas to enter and collect a punch, but we decided not to do these as we were only there to get a feel for the car in a comp safari situation even though it had the simex style tyres on and a front winch, plus the weather was horrendous!! Wet and blowing a gale and cold too!

We managed to complete the first lap after a slight wiper issue caused them to jam and blow a fuse.

For the second lap we removed one of the wipers and this may have been the cause of the next problem!

We could see a lot better now so we may have been going a little faster on this lap. Also there was a car behind us so the racing instinct (if I have any!) may have taken over or not as the case may be and managed to put it on its side!

Thankfully we were both ok with only minor neck ache incurred by the co driver.

post-7712-0-66181400-1448905105_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-20606200-1448905125_thumb.jpg

We put out our SOS board and watched for the next car to come round the corner to slow down to get help.

The SOS system worked well and the marshalls were on the scene sorting us out!

post-7712-0-95673000-1448905226_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-17918400-1448905236_thumb.jpg

The damage was two tyres off the rims, which I later found out aren't punched and hold air, a bent panhard rod (a standard item) and some front body work damage. So a relatively easy repair.

As the weather was wet and miserable we decided not to try and sort it out ready for Sunday and go home early Sunday morning.

The weather was turning worse with the wind picking up so the decision was taken to put the Gazebo down before it blows away!

We spent the evening in Si's van and then Tim's motorhome in the warm and dry!

On Sunday I washed the car off, loaded up and we were off, stopping at Cardiff services for a late breakfast.

It was a shame that I put it on it's side as it was a great opportunity to race round Seven Sisters/Walters Arena and being my first speed event I still enjoyed it and want to do it again!

I had already penciled in the diary the Comp Safari at Slab Common, so I would access the damage and see if I could get it ready for then.

In the mean time I had to get the Red 90 ready for Winter warmer back at Seven Sisters the following weekend.

Fortunately the weather was nice and dry and just a bit cold. A great weekend was had at the last J33P event of the year!

After swapping to full Comp Safari spec and doing a little straightening on the front wing I was ready for the last Comp Safari of the year for the Southern Counties Offf Road club at Slab Common.

post-7712-0-08184500-1448905973_thumb.jpg

The weather was dry! And Chris offered to tow! - I do have my trailer test booked for December!

post-7712-0-29321300-1448906057_thumb.jpg

There were lots of interesting car there. If I wasn't competing I would have gone over and had a nose around!

post-7712-0-04754800-1448906122_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-68156500-1448906137_thumb.jpg

Me on the start line.

post-7712-0-93644900-1448906179_thumb.jpg

Me in action!

post-7712-0-49732000-1448906209_thumb.jpg

This was me in action on the first lap.

The course, even though it was a 'short course', was quite long (approx 3 miles) and very bumpy with lots of tight and twisty sections.

But the following three laps did not get completed as we stopped at varying point on the lap and had to get towed back to the pits.

I got to know daveturnbull quite well as he was the chief marshall/my personnel recovery service for those three laps!

We reckon it's a fueling issue. The symptoms were coughing and spluttering and then dying all together. On the last lap I was racing round with my foot at a certain position, but I could hear and feel the engine loosing power and regaining continuously as if it was loosing fuel pressure and gaining it again. Once it died I got it started again and was able to rev it to 3000rpm and it would run fine, drop it to 2000rpm and it would do the surging thing again.

So I'm going to check there's no debris in the tank, remove the second spare pump from the system as you could switch between two pumps, delete the switch so it has a permanent live feed from the ECU and go from there.

Any other pointer would be greatfully recieved, It's running ok at idle so you could rule out the ignition system.

Further improvement will include overhauling the wiper system, greasing the belt mechanisms up and adding some mudflaps amongst other things!

But again it was a good day, dryer than DttE and I enjoyed it!

So how did it go Steve ?

Mo

Ok, I guess!

having seen pictures on facebook,

the shine has been taken off, however it appears not a huge amount of damage was done, more superficial

I didn't actually get to meet you, but I saw you had fun in your new polaris style buggy thing!

The damage was thankfully minimal and has highlighted that not crashing doesn't incur fixing time!!

Steve........

I never put 2+2 together until just now.

I was in the car (red 90) behind you as you rolled on that stage! we got out to check you were ok and still never clicked!!

:blink::hysterical:

It may have been my fault as i was yelling at my driver to chase you down.. sorry :blush:

Sorry that you never got to finish the event, and if i had realised that Si was going i would have asked about the bandsaw! Show's i need to come on here a bit more often eh!

• Like 2

Steve........

I never put 2+2 together until just now.

I was in the car (red 90) behind you as you rolled on that stage! we got out to check you were ok and still never clicked!!

:blink::hysterical:

It may have been my fault as i was yelling at my driver to chase you down.. sorry :blush:

Sorry that you never got to finish the event, and if i had realised that Si was going i would have asked about the bandsaw! Show's i need to come on here a bit more often eh!

Haha.... yes I remember a comment on Facebook: James saying; We were chasing him when he rolled, my co drivers comments were " go on, get him, faster" .... "no, no dont get him, BRAKE!! "

Maybe see you at a future DttE event.

Also what was your take on what happened as to start with I couldn't really remember as it happened so quickly!

Steve

I actually remember quite vividly, it was round an off-camber right hander, the back end broke loose, you slid nicely for a second or 2 then the rear appeared to clip the left hand bank spinning you 180° at which point the tyres must have dug in flipping you onto your side and then over onto the other side as you ended up with your roof facing us!

Quite impressive really

Will definately make more of an effort next time to see who's going to what before i set off!

I actually remember quite vividly, it was round an off-camber right hander, the back end broke loose, you slid nicely for a second or 2 then the rear appeared to clip the left hand bank spinning you 180° at which point the tyres must have dug in flipping you onto your side and then over onto the other side as you ended up with your roof facing us!

Quite impressive really

Will definately make more of an effort next time to see who's going to what before i set off!

That's what I thought happened roughly too!

That's why I had my GoPro on for the first lap last weekend as neither of us had ours on at DttE :angry2::angry::(

yes, we'll check next time to see who's going!

Steve

Ok, I guess!

I didn't actually get to meet you, but I saw you had fun in your new polaris style buggy thing!

The damage was thankfully minimal and has highlighted that not crashing doesn't incur fixing time!!

unfortunatley i couldnt make it as i was busy working in scotland & the car was in wales

however i was following on facebook,

Id guess that it was simon crowe who was out in his Rzr, Used to codrive for him few years back,

unfortunatley i couldnt make it as i was busy working in scotland & the car was in wales

however i was following on facebook,

Id guess that it was simon crowe who was out in his Rzr, Used to codrive for him few years back,

Ah, I see I'm getting confused there. I thought Simon Crowe and RedLineMike were the same people for some reason!! :blink::unsure:

Glad you enjoyed your first, albeit slightly brief, comp safari. I won't wearing my chief marshal hat next year due to family commitments, but hope to be at the events that aren't as far away as the moon (i.e. Kent) so will probably see you again at some point, tow rope close to hand :lol:

So today I've looked at the throttle position sensor and found the wires to be frayed where they come out of the unit.

It seems quite hard to source a second hand one and a new one is quite expensive, so I thought I might have a go at retrofitting one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACP-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TPS-Genuine-Low-Cost-Direct-Replacement-/390971305551?hash=item5b07b4ae4f:g:3hIAAOSwQJhUflqA

If it cures the problem I'll need to look at making it more robust/permanent.

If anyone has a TPS sensor, then let me know!

Thanks

Steve

• 1 month later...

Racer (and trailer) prep has started. The Racer is washed and in the garage to look at the fuel system, the wipers and the steering.

In other news I know a lot of you passed your driving test before 1998 (read 'are old'!) and can tow a trailer.

But now I can tow a trailer :i-m_so_happy::D:rolleyes: As I passed my trailer test at the end of December.

I can now tow my Racer to events!

Steve

• Like 2