Steve200TDi's New Racer!!

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Is it a LR spec 22, and is it unmodified?  Sorry for the thread drift...

It's a 4l80 I use as a 4hp would likely wave a white flag with the power I'm putting through it, 

The valve pack has been changed but I believe that you can cheat the 4hp by manually shifting it 

3 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

So similar to how motorcrossers attack the whoops? Go at full speed and skip over them without going to the bottom of the hole each time.

Pretty much the idea, although I wouldn't recommend just driving at a ditch with it flat to the mat, I might have another video that shows us skipping over the rough terrain 

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2018 at 9:05 AM, RedLineMike said:

Id consider shifting the autobox manually & seeing if it helps as i found on my old auto truck with a hp22 that if i left it in D it was grim to drive quickly,

My current truck is an auto with a manual valve body & its much nicer to drive than a manual although i still have to change manually,

In regards to the bumpier terrain, if you have the balls to stay on the power it does get smoother, although if you lift or brake it can put put you in a whole world of pain, 
this is a video we did when we were testing last year, it took some working out in my head to keep it lit whilst heading for the rough stuff but its definetly smoother than slowing down

Thanks Mike, I'll definitely give the manually changing a go at the next round as well as just Drive and report back. Awesome video too! I want to get some shots like that too!

So just over a week to go and the exhaust is repaired and back on, just the co drivers seat to adjust and a kick plate fitting.

Steve

Rear facing shot is a gopro sticky mount on the atlas pointing backwards,

front views are a normal gopro mount held on with a jubilee clip, we did almost cartwheel it whilst testing but unfortunately the lense had some mud on it so it never made the final edit

One foot plate added for the co driver!

DSC_0775small.thumb.jpg.017f5db69f8abc31d1bac1873b68fa22.jpg

I even managed to use my new press to fold it too! Just a quick fold with some angle and box section!

DSC_0771small.thumb.jpg.f693b62e8bddf55b9fe40bb97685cf17.jpg

Round 2 is back at Tilmanstone, as Plurenden is waterlogged. I fancy a change of scenery, so I'm going off roading in the 90 at Slindon this weekend!

I need to re-seat the gasket on the autobox sump as it's leaking, but apart from that I'm ready for round 3!

Steve

On 10/04/2018 at 9:10 AM, steve200TDi said:

Mike - I'm racing in D. 

Bowie - Thanks! Dover was good! I was trying to lift off instead of brake over some of the bumps as it makes some of them bumpier if you do brake. Also on some of the wash board sections, flooring it made it slightly smoother. Yes, I'm in the process of making a little foot plate for Nix!

you soon work out that when braking into a washboarded corner it hurts. brake earlier and power through! makes life so much smoother!

12 hours ago, discomikey said:

you soon work out that when braking into a washboarded corner it hurts. brake earlier and power through! makes life so much smoother!

Exactly Mikey! as it is very bumpy and that what i tried to do and will do for the rest of this year.

I'm really looking forward to the next race!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

After checking over all the engine and gearbox mounts I found one of the front mounts to be not quite right!

One of the bolts had sheared causing the mount to flex and crack on the lower edge (sorry no photos) so I had to remove it, weld it up and drill out the sheared off bolt in the block...fun!

I also couldn't get to it, so I had to do some weight saving and chopped some steel out!

From this:

DSC_0799small.thumb.jpg.9367dcb2d8f3d56a352459e9a958ae92.jpg

To this:

DSC_0800small.thumb.jpg.f4d56075aba578917ffe4131a6c0a578.jpg

Then this:

DSC_0804small.thumb.jpg.741bafb2ca0a868a0990944094397b77.jpg

It all went well and is now all back together.

So I'm all ready to race at the weekend at Bagshot near Guildford.

Steve

Bowie - they are captive mount, I'll get a picture for you tomorrow.

lo-fi - I would say check www.scor4x4.co.uk, but it doesn't say much. Search for Independent fleet services as that car park in the trees is the parc ferme for the race. Racing is from 10am-4pm and scrutineering starts at 8am.

Fridge - Thanks! Probably thicker than it ought to be!

Steve

1 minute ago, lo-fi said:

Thanks Steve. Shame its on a Sunday, I'll be down at the Land Rover Rummage, or I'd have popped along to see the beast in action and taken some pics. 

Pictures would be good! There all on a Sunday unfortunately! The next round in July is over near Uckfield on the 1st.

Steve

20 minutes ago, steve200TDi said:

Fridge - Thanks! Probably thicker than it ought to be!

Just looking at the last picture it looks like the bit of "bodywork" you cut out was thicker steel than the engine mount! If anything the mount looks a little under-built, certainly it looks about 50% below Nige-spec, and for a racer I'd think it actually needs above average beef.

3 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Just looking at the last picture it looks like the bit of "bodywork" you cut out was thicker steel than the engine mount! If anything the mount looks a little under-built, certainly it looks about 50% below Nige-spec, and for a racer I'd think it actually needs above average beef.

Yes, you're quite right, I did think that the chassis mounts do look a touch on the thin side. I also think the plasma cutting has made the bit chopped out look a little thicker!

Steve

22 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

Yes, you're quite right, I did think that the chassis mounts do look a touch on the thin side.

It was as much the fact that it's clearly hit & bent the front part of the mount, stuff moves a lot more than you think (especially when racing), rule of thumb is it will move as far as if the rubber part was not there at all... looks like it could do with a little more clearance & either thicker material or some bracing. And/or a less flexible bush.

A great day was had at the weekend, full report and video soon, but in the mean time check out the awesome photos by Darrel Payne in the events section here:

Oh and Fridge you could well be right about the bush flexing as I heard some bangs and clangs at the weekend!

Steve

I Think you are right that the engine moves about quite a lot. The 2,5td mounts on mine are not exactly known for their flex but during challenge events the engine drivebelt can chew in a badly placed radiatorhose which is 1,5cm further forward. I think the problem is when enginebreaking going down step edges which might not be that big an issue for your type event though... 😀

/mads

4 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

Oh and Fridge you could well be right about the bush flexing as I heard some bangs and clangs at the weekend!

As I said, and as Jez taught me, any rubber part (mounts, bushes, bump-stops, etc.) you've got to design as if the rubber isn't there as under the right/wrong condition it *will* flex way further than you thought!

• Like 1

Bagshot was a great site. It's an old military site, but well worth all the paper work you have to fill out to be able to hire the site!

Nice sweeping and flowing turns, with a lot of loose gravel and dust.

I did all my laps, but suffered from some misfire towards the afternoon and I think this was down to water as the site is sheltered by trees and there were puddles at various points around the 3.5 mile course.

I went to investigate after the race last week and it fired up and rev up fine!, so megasquirt maybe on the cards over the winter!

I filmed a lot of my laps so I'll get one uploaded to facebook in due course. I also did some data logging so I had GPS position and speed on my laps, but if you don't have the correct time stamps it's surprisingly difficult to match the film with the data log. So I had to go with one of my early laps, and that still wasn't great. I gave up when it wouldn't play in windows media player, so some more trial error needed before the next race at Copford Sawmill at the start of July.

IMG-20180520-WA0020small.jpg.5b73c4dd93e005f6e0343656ae5f8f8d.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0011small.jpg.128649ce7c6578fa4a58f866076bb63e.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0009small.jpg.1d6096662632fac69416a42121779b19.jpg

Steve