Steve200TDi's New Racer!!

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

My work PC runs Linux Mint and half the time I've got Mint in one monitor, Windows WM in another and Ubuntu VM in the 3rd :lol: and yes I do need a 4th monitor...

There's a few wrinkles to cloning XP / Vista / Win7 machines if anyone needs the info I've got it wrote down somewhere... :ph34r:

Virtual, 4 screens for f$$ks sake I struggle with smart phone and tablet one at a time regards Stephen 

PC chat:

I've heard of this virtual machine business, but don't really know the first thing about it or where to start. 

At the moment, the PC works fine and meets my needs, but I appreciate that it may not last forever, so future proofing may help. I may need to sort my laptop out first before doing that depending on virtual machine requirements.

Racer news:

I stripped the shifter down mainly to remove the gate plate and to see how it comes apart. It's very simple in construction. I started the shifter linkage. So once that is done and I've made a bracket to support and hold the cable I can properly test out my new gate plate to see if I have the measurements right.

Steve

Virtual machines let you create a PC inside a PC, which means you can keep specific software like CAD packages going inside a VM on an "obsolete" operating system but move it from computer to computer as you upgrade.

For example, we have some old but useful CAD software that is happiest inside Windows XP, if we tried to move it to a Windows 10 machine there'd be a small explosion, but we don't want to keep a dusty old Windows XP box kicking around - so give it a virtual machine to live in and you can run it from any PC with no compatibility problems, no virus worries, no updates which might break it, etc. and you can make the VM with no network connection so it can never "phone home" and decide it's obsolete.

The software is mostly free - either Oracle Virtualbox or VMWare.

You can create a VM from scratch if you have an operating system CD or similar to install, or you can (with a few wrinkles) clone an existing machine like your laptop into a VM so you can have your laptop inside another machine - that's a bit more involved.

You do need a reasonable amount of RAM as you're effectively running two computers in one, but VM's are surprisingly fast, I don't notice any lag working in them.

• 1 month later...

It does all sound rather interesting, so it may happen in the future!

On the subject of computers, I was rather chuffed I managed to order and fit a new battery to my laptop, so now it doesn't have to be permanently plugged in at the wall!!

I'm now looking at a larger SSD and more ram!

Right, I have done a tiny bit more on the racer! I now have steering which is now 5/8th to 2/3rds of a turn quicker! Now I can remake the steering guard and make a stronger drag link.

The shifter is progressing too.

I just need to find a supplier for the little horse shoe/omega/ohm shaped bracket which holds the shifter cable in place. There's a little groove it sits in to stop the cable sliding forwards and backwards.

Any help appreciated!

Steve

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, steve200TDi said:

I made the gearbox linkage and then started on the cable support bracket.

DSC_4797small.thumb.jpg.73ffa026000e274b09d81cdbeebf468a.jpg

I'll obviously be trimming it down to make it more bracket shaped, but I just needed something to get it in the right position.

I also made a short adapter from the imperial UNF selector cable to M6 quick release ball joint.

A little quick job on the lathe made this, I filed down some flats so I could secure it.

DSC_4757small.thumb.jpg.fe0639e3e1514a8d81caf5aa65ddb8bb.jpg

I'm still impressed by the simplicity of this shifter with the ball detents to go left to right.

DSC_4120small.thumb.jpg.3abfcdbdd1429cbf3f2a5a612162d7d5.jpg

The CAD design I drew for the shifter plate didn't quite line up and so I had to do manual CAD MAD (cardboard Metal Aided Design) using a file!

DSC_4758small.thumb.jpg.164a1025e46d268bb0e7a462ed23f0ce.jpg

DSC_4799small.thumb.jpg.ec8e2ecb7da5b40f9c1c05bda336c757.jpg

This now works and can be drawn in CAD or manually drawn on some stainless steel for the shifter plate.

We're getting there slowly, but winter and this clod weather is slowing things down somewhat!

Steve

From what is that shifter?     I like the tooth  idea .  

55 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've got one of those shifters with the stick that you waggle around, lets you choose any one of 5 or 6 gears whenever you like... :ph34r:

Well until it wears out then it's not quite whenever you like.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've got a V8, any 1 of 3 gears is usually fine. :SVAgoaway:

When I get my arse in gear with the 1UZ I could probably get away with only one :SVAgoaway:.

Factory redline is just shy of 7k but with swapping out a cam (as I recall you have done) then reportedly good for 9k. It has been slightly insane generating some theoretical gearing plots - 5th low range good for >70mph :o

21 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

When I get my arse in gear with the 1UZ I could probably get away with only one :SVAgoaway:.

Factory redline is just shy of 7k but with swapping out a cam (as I recall you have done) then reportedly good for 9k. It has been slightly insane generating some theoretical gearing plots - 5th low range good for >70mph :o

I wonder what the transfer box innards would think of that? Would the higher than usual speed of the input cause the oil to perform differently?

9 minutes ago, CwazyWabbit said:

I wonder what the transfer box innards would think of that? Would the higher than usual speed of the input cause the oil to perform differently?

If you're willing to sacrifice a gearbox and transfer box I'm willing to give it a go :rofl:

Off topic - hopefully Steve doesn't mind but: here's the low range plots with my current setup (300Tdi R380, 1.2 transfer box and 32" tyres).

image.png.bdf42311590e92c3ab97d5a0805cc2da.png

And a slightly silly high range:

image.png.e98d83ab780d4db17906bde65f65104b.png

What's nice is that it puts 70mph 5th gear down at ~2500 rpm which is in the middle of the maximum torque curve of the stock 1UZ (assuming the plot below is to be believed). OK it's not in maximum power but it'll still be pootling along with at least the same amount of power that a 300Tdi has at best, with another Tdi's worth in reserve :P

1UZ-comparison.JPG

And probably twin turbos to get there...

I remember going through some calculations and the ~110hp of a Tdi was good for ~100mph with the aerodynamics of a brick. I suspect 260hp isn't going to be enough to get it to 200mph. I can't remember the exact figures but for the original Veyron to hit 200mph required "very little" of it's ~1000hp - I think it was under 200hp, the extra 800hp was to get it from 200 to 250mph. And it's a damn sight more aerodynamic than a Defender.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, steve200TDi said:

These type of shifters are common in america with off roading and drag racing, amongst other things. This one is an Art Carr shifter, another make is Winters.

If anyone is looking at aftermarket auto shifters for the 4HP - the shift pattern and spacing is the same as the US GM 700R4 auto box, and there's plenty of aftermarket shifters available for those - you will need to make a different quadrant for the shifter arm on the box but the rest should work. 

I'll start a thread at some point - I have a Lokar auto stick shifter and the bracketry to mount it in the standard defender shifter location, using the standard gearbox gaiter boot etc. With any luck it'll end up like this:

https://www.defendersource.com/threads/show-me-your-lokar.61569/#post-630388

39 minutes ago, =jon= said:

If anyone is looking at aftermarket auto shifters for the 4HP - the shift pattern and spacing is the same as the US GM 700R4 auto box, and there's plenty of aftermarket shifters available for those - you will need to make a different quadrant for the shifter arm on the box but the rest should work. 

I'll start a thread at some point - I have a Lokar auto stick shifter and the bracketry to mount it in the standard defender shifter location, using the standard gearbox gaiter boot etc. With any luck it'll end up like this:

Do it! My plan for the Merc auto is to build a shifter I can squeeze into the standard tunnel and reuse my original stick. Hopefully using a D3 shifter as a base as it's got the manual option.

38 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Do it! My plan for the Merc auto is to build a shifter I can squeeze into the standard tunnel and reuse my original stick. Hopefully using a D3 shifter as a base as it's got the manual option.

I have all the bits downstairs - Lokar floor mount shifter, the bracket and linkage from RW Engineering in the US. It's worked out reasonably expensive, but has the massive advantage that I can use any centre cubby, rather than needing something custom or spending £500 for the Ashcroft NAS console. Man maths at it's finest :D

It's also an anti-theft and MOT man confusion device - it will look like a normal manual stick, but no clutch pedal :D

As said, I have all the bits, just waiting on some time to get it installed :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, =jon= said:

Yes, please do start a build thread, that looks an excellent idea!

Steve