Steve200TDi's New Racer!!

I will do - hopefully the weather will be decent enough for me to have a proper look at it over the Christmas period..

I went with the easy route and bought the RW Engineering kit from the US which has a bracket to mount the Lokar shifter on the transfer lever mount, a replacement quadrant for the ZF and a slightly longer transfer box linkage to account for the thickness due to the bracket. I would imagine with enough head scratching it would be easy to make your own, calculate quadrant lengths etc :)

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2022 at 9:07 AM, Bowie69 said:

So Steve, now lockdown and all that nonsense is over, how's this thing going?

Well, to put it bluntly.....not very well!

I still have it, but after a house move in October, I'm still doing house stuff, decorating, a kitchen re model later in the year. There will be a shed build for all my land rover parts (I hope to do a build thread on her for this), so that I can organise my single garage with all my tools. Once that is all sorted, I can at least think about the racer. I still want to continue the mods that I had planned and to go racing and try them out. After that, we'll see, maybe sell it to concentrate more on my 90.....

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

The 90 not fully sorted then....? 

There's always things to do on it! New snorkel, some paint, maybe look at fitting rear seats for my daughter. Door maintenance to minimise rust! So if I'm doing racer stuff, the 90 will get left again. It's just going to take a little bit longer to sort all these bits out. Once the house stuff has been finished or slowed down I'll have more time to work on the fleet and hopefully get out in one of them!

Steve

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been another year and nothing has happened, so I thought I'd better uncover it, wash it, wash the trailer and the bit of drive it sits on.

So I set too uncovering it and checking it over so that I could start it, to move it off the trailer.

The battery got put on charge and I checked it over. One fuel hose end has cracked, so chopped the end off and refitted it. The fuel pressure vacuum hose had done the same thing, so chopped the end off that too. 

I barred the engine over first to check it turned over and it did, so I was ready to refit the battery and go for a fire up. Oil pressure was gained, but it didn't burst into life......

I had a fuel pressure gauge to check in this instance and sure enough, no fuel pressure. The pumps could be heard, so I took a hose off and it was bone dry inside. I took the Facet fuel pump hose off and that was bone dry. So having a think I though I might try and prime the facet pump and give it a go in a jug.........Yay it started pumping fuel!

So all back together and it happily drove off the trailer!

Move forward to this weekend and I was ready to get the pressure washer out!

Well not until I play with fuel pumps again! The fuel was a bit old and a bit yellow, but it ran fine last weekend, but I guess the fuel pumps didn't like it sitting inside them for a week as now they both don't work! FridgeFreezers facet pump did a fine job last weekend, but now is very slooow and the high pressure pump doesn't do a thing! So I will definitely be pumping out the old fuel and doing some fuel pump swaps.

DSC_9828small.jpg.9d7be93d1ed364f3ef1b1ac3782a3333.jpg

DSC_9823small.thumb.jpg.702a7e091669fca595f812115e6f7e24.jpg

DSC_9821small.jpg.5e9893878c86dbd5c45576c21eda47b0.jpg

So you maybe wondering what the plan for this is going forward......

Well, Bethany arrived in February and Josie has just started school, the house has progressed and we are nearing getting the shed built which will lead to sorting the garage space out. The 90 still has things I want to do to it and then there's all the fun things I want to do like making crank shaft coffee tables, gear clocks, making things from cutlery which I haven't started yet, I have the bits though! I just don't have enough time to do everything!

And so I have enjoyed tinkering and the fabricating journey, especially fitting the 2.5 remote reservoir shocks and I've had fun racing it through the tight, twisty SCOR sections and visited some great sites along the way and have some great memories too.

It is now time to hand the baton on and let someone else have some enjoyment out of it!

So it'll be up for sale soon!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A shame to see, but understand your reasons, its nice to have the toys but even nicer to actually have the time and funds to use them.  I have just seen the for sale ad, some one will get a bargain with this to get into racing. You can always get another when the girls have grown up, hope to see you out in the 90 soon 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Same. 

There is a good for sale group for comp safari stuff on FB, if so inclined, may stop a muppet wasting your time. 

Thanks Bowie and Jon, I think I know the one. I'll also put it up on my the MUD WUN Racing Facebook page if you haven't seen it.....

• Like 1