defender 110 TD5 leak from driver side rear of engine

pupstew

Hi, just looking for some help. My 99 plate 110 TD5 has developed a leak...no surprise to many, but she been a good girl to date! It seems to be coming from around the location of the fuel pressure regulator or at least in that location. It is then running down the block and dropping of the bottom of the housing. Many feeds suggest it is the FPR, however why is it a source of leaking oil? Is the solution to replace the gasket? And do I replace the o rings while I'm in there? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Stuart

I had similar. It was leaking diesel that thinned oil in its path so it looked like oil under the truck.

Also check the plastic bung in the front of the head. It was leaking on mine and oil came from all over the engine because of it (Looked like it did anyways)

The fan blows it back to almost every possible run down the engine.

When the FPR failed on my TD5 the evidence of it appeared along the bottom of the bellhousing, the gearbox, the transfer-case and on the brake drum itself.. . . . and at first I thought it was gearbox oil.

The splash-tray under the engine can deflect the airflow in strange ways and this then blows FPR-leak Diesel through some unexpected paths where it can pick up oil along the way. Best test is to sniff the leaking 'oil' - that way you can differentiate between engine-oil, MTF94, EP or Diesel. The cardboard inside from a kitchen-roll tube can be useful as an extension to your nose when sniffing!

Well tonight I have sourced the illusive tube from the aforementioned kitchen roll, however I'm now not popular and the roll was full when I found it!!! Oops.... I will have a good smell round tomorrow night when hopefully it's not raining sideways in Durham!!!

So I have dug down to the FPR and smelled round as much as possible but I'm finding oil in that area but it isn't smelling of diesel. I've nipped up the bolts on the top engine cover but there is no obvious sources of oil....definitely no smell of diesel though either?? Any more thoughts?

I think the rocker cover can leak from the gasket at the back and i seem to recall that there is another bung at the back of the engine on the TD5 isnt there? - like the one at the front and not possible to change with the engine in.

I still reckon its likely to be the FPR though - i have trouble smelling diesel as i don't think its as distinctive to me as others find it.

• 3 years later...
On 9/19/2015 at 10:00 PM, pupstew said:

Right well it isn't the FPR as the oil I found this afternoon is coming from the engine joint above but not the black gasket on the top rocker box. I assume there is another seal in there ? I've tried to add a photo of the location but can't seem to add it.

Hi ! I know this post is a couple of years old but may I ask if you did fund the source where the oil was leaking out nearby the FPR ? I seem to habe the same situation, there is no fuel but black oil on the FPR. Rocker Cover sealing an is dry and the back if the engine as well. Looking for weeks ... Would be glad to see an answer ... Thanks ! Frank

I have exactly the same issue on my TD5. I thought it was the rocker cover gasket and replaced it a coupleĀ of times before I looked into the problem abit deeper where I found that I have a small leak on my cam carrier joint right at the very back of the engine. This drips down the back and ends up dripping from the bell housing like the crank seal has gone. As my leak is just an occasional drip it is staying like it at present as it is a head off job to fix (head bolts go through the cam carrier).

Toby