Quick MIG question

Anderzander

A beginner MIG quandary ... I'm welding a patch on the chassis and I can't seem to run a decent bead. But when I run one on my test piece it's fine.

At first I thought I had the settings wrong - as when I set it up last time the power and particularly the wire speed were much lower than I'd have thought. But if I turn it up I blow through - and it's putting a good bead with penetration on my test pieces.

The metal is clean, I've cleaned for the earth. It is in an awkward spot where I can't get comfy and can't get in position to properly see the weld pool ... I accept I'm a carp welder - but am I missing anything obvious ?

It may also be easier to "join the dots" rather than try for a nice run. Can also save time having to grind back a whole run when it goes Pete tong. Also check the the tip is tight and the nozzle is free of slag, if the weld area is a bit carp it doesn't take much spatter to foul things up.

Couple of things that may help, firstly you wont get a good weld if you cant see where you are going. In the past I've set up a mirror to look at the weld area. Do a dry run first to get your brain around the reverse image. Also get plenty of light into the area,even whilst welding,I use mag mount LED lamps,often 2 or 3 pointed at the area where I'm working - you cant get it too light,esp if your eyesight is getting worse like mine. You HAVE to be comfy and be able to breathe naturally whilst welding and make sure nothing snags you 1/2 way along a run.

Getting a decent setup for each weld is 95% of the problem when doing chassis/body repairs,its not always easy - even when you have been doing it for over 30 years....

Thanks both ??. It was the gas - and the position.

I had been given a new flow meter and hadn't got it right - or rather it's revealed how out my gauge is - so I've turned it right up - wedged myself in and got much closer and it's worked.

I have though now set fire to my arm and rushed indoors for the burn cream. I think I need a leather onesie ....

Hmmm my old motorbike leathers maybe in the attic still :-)

Thanks for your help - and in seriousness I do need an apron or something.

Anderzander,

Firstly I agree, (besides the gas) being able to see the puddle is important. Being comfortable is even more important. You'd be surprised at the difference.

Buy yourself a proper flow meter rather than a regulator (you want the floating ball type)

And get some Kevlar welding sleeves, I love them. Not too hot and your arm can breathe but welding and UV burn is no longer an issue

It's always a good indication of how high your pain threshold is! That elusive blob always gets down a sleeve or down the back of your overalls and settles in some tender areas...got weld burns and blisters in some weird places through the years.

Spatter is the nastiest, that stuff gets everywhere, had some in my ear once - wearing a full helmet too

Definately think about protection but not just splatter, I welded my cage mounts on to the chassis in nice weather so polo shirt as I was above the welds. I got horrendous, well a lot, of UV burns on my tummy half way through and had to wear a very hot top to avoid the pain from more UV!

Also got an odd patterned sun tan!

Marc

i did similar not long ago. welding a metal box to put my fuel tank in, registered my forearms where warmish but didnt have a second thought. had fairly painful burns all the way from wrists to bottom of t-shirt area for a week. peeled off nicely though! not recommended makes getting dressed of a morning rather uncomfortable.

Mikey

I saw your post after I'd bought a jacket .... I'll see how I get on with it before I go for the sleeves. I've actually got a burn on my chest - so maybe a jacket offers a bit more protection for me.

My fix for the gas today was using a floating ball valve my neighbour gave me - it was that that showed up how far out the regulator was ...

Stephen

Anderzander,

Firstly I agree, (besides the gas) being able to see the puddle is important. Being comfortable is even more important. You'd be surprised at the difference.

Buy yourself a proper flow meter rather than a regulator (you want the floating ball type)

And get some Kevlar welding sleeves, I love them. Not too hot and your arm can breathe but welding and UV burn is no longer an issue

Wow, a conversation about welding injuries that doesn't involve our treasurer.

Maybe he's in hospital :lol:

I think JeffR and HfH should be the forum's Health and Safety reps....

Glad you are getting to grips with this Stephen. MIGs are very useful tools.

Thanks Mickey ! I've an old series to get lots of practice on :)