T-Max Compressor - Any good?

dantastic

I'm in the market for a new compressor to pump tyres. After googling a good bit it looks like the TMax 160l compressor is cheap and, at least on paper, quite good.

Have anyone got one of these? How long have you had it?? I'm seriously concerned as it is being distributed by Britpart and I have never had any luck with their longevity.

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/tmax-compressor-160lpm-ba2663-p-3923.html

I have read reviews saying the pressure meter isn't accurate. I'm OK with that as I will modify it to take a normally closed tyre inflator.

I have one permanently fitted in my 90 for onboard air. It's only been fitted for a couple of month so I can't talk about longevity but I've been impressed with the performance and build quality

It doesn't have the capability to start under full load so I use a check valve and unloader circuit which also switches it in and out at set pressures. I binned the standard hoses and tyre inflator and use proper workshop stuff instead

I use a check valve and unloader circuit which also switches it in and out at set pressures. I binned the standard hoses and tyre inflator and use proper workshop stuff instead

This was exactly my thinking. Was thinking might even add a 1-2l tank as just a bit of buffer to prevent the thing from just starting-stopping-starting-stopping. Or how do you find it? What pressures did you use for the pressure switch?

Mine lasted about 2 years with being used about 5 times for filling the odd tyre... not impressed at all... the motor packed in, on taking it apart it was pretty nasty cheapness... SO the replacement I got was the cheapest Britpart one I could find, and I was gobsmacked at the quality difference (britpart one being much better)... - and thats a statement I've never ever said before ever!

When my last ARB HD compressor gave up the ghost in my competition motor I decided enough was enough and replaced the ARB with a T-Max on the grounds that, at that price, it doesn't matter too much if it dies within a couple of years. I'm still on my first one though after 2 1/2 years so quids in !

The on/off switch seemed a bit cheap and nasty so I bypassed that (no need for it in an automatic system) and it's wired through a Maxi fuse and a suitable HD relay. As per the manual that came with it, I've put a none return valve between the pump and the reservoir.

I have a fairly large air tank in my setup that I'd previously disconnected because the ARB couldn't really cope with it, the T-Max copes with it though so it's back in too.

It's mainly used for Diff locks and winch freespool activation and tyre inflation at the end of an event.

I used a cheap Chinese non return valve from eBay (~£2.50) and a four port compressor unloader valve with built in adjustable pressure switch (~£20) the same as most domestic mains compressors would use. Like Dave w I bypassed the standard switch and wired the relay switching circuit through the pressure switch. I already had a small moisture trap/regulator, and a 2 litre tank fitted from my previous install. I adjusted the pressure switch to cut in at 90psi and out at ~125psi, the regulator supplies 80psi to the locker and freespool to keep them happy. I also have two pcl outlets for plugging in the tyre inflator

DSCF2046_zpsuzf3yoaa.jpg

DSCF2045_zps2emfeym2.jpg

DSCF2043_zpspmzutcp7.jpg

Hope this helps

I don't think they're any bigger than what you have, the cylinder bit stands about 350mm high 140mm diameter. They're pressurised to 50 bar though so I guess they'd be thick enough to mount under the car without worrying about the odd rock hitting them if space was an issue. Guess you could plumb a few together for extra volume. Think I have 4 or 5 in total.

20150922_082938_resized_zpsfeajmw18.jpg

20150922_083021_resized_zpslntxmr5o.jpg

"Disposable" welding gas bottles are a perfect size. With regards to using a bigger one on the basis that you get more is a bit difficult. Unless you were to go for something really big, your benefits are really small. I have about a 10l tank, and will run much smaller next time.

Mine is charged from an air con pump, but have a t max plumbed in as spare. No complaints about them, have killed one but that was understandable because of how it was treated !

G

The black box is a mechanical switch which trips on and off with the air pressure rather than through an electrical coil. There is a 2 pole switch inside which is just brass contacts and is fine on 12v providing your pump doesn't overload it current wise. I use one on my A/C based system and they are ok with the 5ish amps the clutch draws however I suspect a T-max draws significantly more so I assume people use this to switch a suitable 12v relay. They also have a decompression valve built in for the supply line and a safety valve so are ideal and cheap. You just need a check valve on the reservoir so that you don't decompress that!

I have a 24 litre tank from a domestic compressor, if you ask around they're usually kicking about as the cheap motors / pumps fail and then you have all the fittings you need, I've even known people buy them new from lidl etc and skip the motor / pump :) The big reservoir is ideal for putting tyres on rims or running air tools as it gives you that initial quick flow of air you need. If it's just for lockers or pumping tyres back up after a days offroading then your probably just unnecessarily working your pump risking early failure.

Hope that makes sense.