Are these rims tubeless?

FridgeFreezer

OK not a part-number request but definitely requires some ninja anoraking ^_^ having picked up a slow puncture on our travels the tyre shop have discovered there's a tube fitted... now BFG's as far as I'm aware are not designed for tubes so I'd like to remove the tube, but I'm not sure what the rims are. Can anyone tell me?

I believe they're 1-ton / HCPU rims possibly ANR1534:

web_IMG_1737.JPG

Right, just been for a moist wander to the tyre shop, rims ARE stamped ANR1534 and TSD turned up the frankly brilliant weapons-grade-anoraking thread "Fvckwit's Cool fizzin' Rivet countin', Monumentally Bell-ended, Anorakin' Buyers Guide to Super-Hereto Deep-Dish, Forward Control, One Ton, 130, Rims & Wheels" which shows detail of the rim form, which I can confirm is what I've got (screenshot showing example):

post-21-0-03937100-1442848508_thumb.png

Those are indeed not tubeless, they don't have that tyre securing extra bulge on either side, and they are riveted together which will not hold air. But I'd suggest through personal experience that buying some proper Agri-grade tubes that are thicker makes the world of difference when running tubes in tubeless style tyres (like the BFG's) Have for some years now run tubes in both my 33"s and my 35" Krawlers, both of which are tubeless design, with very low pressures for long periods of time without a single problem. But with the cheap thin tubes that people normally put into 7.50's well I've had lots of punctures!

Thanks guys, that's a bu99er as I've therefore got the combination of tube-type rims (I've looked it up on the catalogue site now: ANR1534 WHEEL-STEEL ROAD, PRIMED, RIVETED, TUBED, 6.5L X 16, WITH HEAVY DUTY SUSPENSION) with tubeless type tyres.

Possibly the answer is ANR4583PM - WHEEL-STEEL ROAD, PRIMED, TUBELESS, WELDED, '6.5J X 16"', WITH HEAVY DUTY SUSPENSION (Wolf rims) but those are "wrong" for the age of vehicle.

Or maybe agri tubes as Soren suggests.

Since some time in the mid-Td5 run the 'standard' Land Rover rims are now tubeless. If you can find a set of new take offs from a modern vehicle they would do the job. A coat of olive drab can make them suit.

However they are only 5.5" wide, so only really any good for 7.50 tyres - if you want to run larger 235's for example then the 6.5" wolf rims are your best bet.

Looks like one wheel has a tube, the spare has a tube, the other 3 don't have tubes in :rolleyes:

Short-term the flat one is getting a new tube, long-term we'll probably get a set of tubeless Wolf rims to make life easier - don't fancy being stuck on a trip having the argument with some foreign version of Kwik-Fit with mismatched rims/tyres <_<

Still, I dont see a problem with putting a tube in a tubeless tyre. I forever ran that myself.

I once borrowed a 200tdi Disco from a friend, that had (unknown to me) just recently had tubes fitted in the BFG MT it was shod with.

In monday morning traffic, in the middle lane of the M4, while travelling near the speed limit (not saying which side), the tube in the offside rear wheel failed suddenly. As the tyre was undamaged up to that point, there was no warning at all.

It took me all three lanes and the hard shoulder to gather it up. I have no idea how I didn't hit anything. I have no idea how it stayed upright.

I can't help but think it would have been even nastier on a tube type rim, with nothing at all helping the bead stay in place.

It's not the only blowout I've ever experienced, but it was the most exiting and I don't want to try it again.

I wouldn't run tubes without a good reason, especially on anything that might travel large distances at high speeds, and the price difference between 4 tubes and 4 wolf rims isn't even close to being a good one for my money.

Where do you get agri-style HD tubes from?

I Bought them here:

http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1095_1263_1296

I use 10 x 16 inner tubes.

To reply to TSD; Ok, there may be instances were an inner tube went wrong, but given the situation of fridge with tubeless tyres on non tubeless rims, which is illegal, I'd say fitting a tube is an improvement. I personally run tubeless tyres (simex), with tubes on a tubeless rim. This in my experience is the best way of keeping a tyre seated on the rim while offroading at low pressures (short of bead locks). I suppose the risk is them running hot while driving at speed with too low pressures, then blow out. Also, the correct size is important.

I suppose a blow out has never happened to me in 24 years of driving my landrover, and that's why I dont worry about it.

Daan