Bleeding fuel system and wiring help please!

Hi

Can someone run me through how to bleed a 110 200tdi fuel system, so far I have emptied the tank of water :) replaced the knackered lift pump, bled throught the fuel filter as per instructions in the book of lies, removed fuel return from injection pump and pumped til clean diesel came out, turned engine over and it wont start, quite a lot of watery diesel got throught the pump before i drained the tank so I assume its going to take a while to clear the injector pump? At the mo I'm going to go with the plan of turning it over for a bit longer when I have recharged the battery!

Any advice would be great, also if anyone happens to have a 1993 200 110, a digital camera and a spare 5 mins would they mind photographing the various junctions in the wiring looms that meet on the bulkhead by the fuel filter? There are several connectors and various combinations and the bright spark that disconnected them on my car forgot to label them :rtfm: . Could this kind person also include a description of roughly where each wire runs to?

Thanks

Mike

by the sounds of that then you may be missing the stop solinoid cable for the injector pump - as I would of thought by the amount of pumping you have done already it should start. The one I use to bleed her through is to crack off the injector feed pipe nut, so you can see if anything comes out.. (naturally be careful of spray so once its comes out screw it back on sharpish or turn the engine off :D

the solinoid cable is a singular cable (fairly long) I think its white, I shall have to have a look in a bit as its parked outside in the carpark. don't have my camera to do the rest though sorry.

Hi

Can someone run me through how to bleed a 110 200tdi fuel system, so far I have emptied the tank of water :) replaced the knackered lift pump, bled throught the fuel filter as per instructions in the book of lies, removed fuel return from injection pump and pumped til clean diesel came out, turned engine over and it wont start, quite a lot of watery diesel got throught the pump before i drained the tank so I assume its going to take a while to clear the injector pump? At the mo I'm going to go with the plan of turning it over for a bit longer when I have recharged the battery!

Any advice would be great, also if anyone happens to have a 1993 200 110, a digital camera and a spare 5 mins would they mind photographing the various junctions in the wiring looms that meet on the bulkhead by the fuel filter? There are several connectors and various combinations and the bright spark that disconnected them on my car forgot to label them :rtfm: . Could this kind person also include a description of roughly where each wire runs to?

Thanks

Mike

Slacken off all the injector unions, and turn it over until you see fuel coming out (remember the rag to mop up spills). Tighten it all back up again, put your foot to the floor and spin it over.

If you have a fat battery, you can get away with putting your foot on the floor (signals the injection pump to put in the most fuel and hence bleeds it quicker) and spinning it over. You have a Bosch pump on that so it shouldnt be too difficult. The Lucas pumps (2.5 TD, 2.5) are very sensitive to air.

also if anyone happens to have a 1993 200 110, a digital camera and a spare 5 mins would they mind photographing the various junctions in the wiring looms that meet on the bulkhead by the fuel filter?

Hi Mike,

Just been into the garage and taken the enclosed pics. I don't know if it helps? If not I will go out again. Just let me know what angle or how close up you need the photo.

Cheers, Paul.

DSC03944.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

DSC03946.jpg

DSC03947.jpg

Thanks paul you star! Will go and have a go at it now and let you guys know how I got on... I think most of the left over wire are green but I'll be back on tonight... I also need to get my bloody bike charging properly aswell so lets hope a new reg rec will work... I can tell its going to involve a basil fawlty sapling attack :)

Thanks for all the help

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah feels good but now i have no excuse not to get on with wiring! i have a few issues like, dip not working, horn only working when dip is on, reverse not working, tailies not working, stop only working 1 side and only when lights are on etc etc... i'll murder that spider when i find it :)

Actually Ralph I had a question for you... how do I wire my leccy fan so that it works off a thermostatic switch (gonna get xeng one after xmas) and so that i can switch my VWP rocker ON to override it (wading), it needs to switch on so I can wire in my big warning light to remind me to remove the override? My friend mentioned switching 12V each side of motor so it has no current but i wasnt really listening :)

Thanks

Mike

Not sure about lekky fan wiring, only cos my diesel hasn't got one, so can't really advise from 1st hand, IIRC X-eng include wiring info with the switch unit, Si is probbly the best person to ask.

yup, I have just fitted one (not wired it yet though) but you get pretty good instructions with it for different methods of wiring. look on there site http://www.x-eng.co.uk/Instructions/X-Fan.pdf

you seem to have enough help here, but I have a 93 110 tdi so if you want any other pics, giz a shout.

Jas

yup, I have just fitted one (not wired it yet though) but you get pretty good instructions with it for different methods of wiring. look on there site http://www.x-eng.co.uk/Instructions/X-Fan.pdf

you seem to have enough help here, but I have a 93 110 tdi so if you want any other pics, giz a shout.

Jas

Hi Jas,

Those diagrams are good but kind of the opposite to what I want, I'd like to override the fan so its off for when i'm wading or whatever, the thing is i need the switch to be in the on position when its turning the fans off... if you see what I mean...

Thanks for the offer of pics, as it happens i'm having a nightmare with my rear lights so if you wouldnt mind taking a photo of where the loom from the lights/fuel level sender joins the dash loom on the bulkhead that would be great!

Thanks

Mike

if you want the switch to turn the fan off when you turn the switch on you need a 'always on' relay. rather than like normal relays where the switching current connects the circut you can get them the other way round so the switching current disconnects the circut. then wire it as normal.

i cant think where ive seen the relays for sale offhand but i know they exist.

lots of green wires in the engine bay? dunno if it helps but my disco has 4 green wires on the bulkhead, they are the reversing light & difflock switches.

What you really need is a change over relay. This has 2 outputs (87a and 87b I think). One output is normally on and when you supply power to the relay it switches output to the other terminal. I did this on a mates car. The normally on terminal controlled the fan relays and when you turned off the power to the relay it turned off the fan relays. This then put power out of the other terminal which was connected to a red warning light on the dash. The light stayed on until you turned the fans back on.

HTH

Ivan