Dinky (Dumpy) Dizzy

Don Del

I installed a Megajolt system on my V8 Defender over two years ago and rate it as the best modification that I have done to the vehicle so far. I am now toying around with replacing the distributor with a Dinky (Dumpy) Dizzy. While these are readily available in the UK I happen to be living in La Paz, Bolivia, so by the time approximately 100% is added to the purchase price to cover shipping and duties together with the fact it would be difficult to part exchange my existing distributor this becomes a very expensive option! I have been scouring the internet but haven't been able to come across any write ups on modifying the existing distributor to a cut down version. I have got a spare distributor and intend dismantling later this week with a view to cutting it down. The necessary machining work does not present a problem. If there is anybody out there who could give any pointers, recommendations, drawings or photos I would be obliged.

Cheers,

Del

A friend with MJ and going to MS soon is going to drop his truck over (for me to wire up MS to), he DIY'd a dumpy, will photograph it if no-one else comes with anything :)

IIRC though, it is pretty simple, machine off almost all the aluminium housing, cut the shaft down under the weights and pop it back in. If you want to waterproof it, cut a thread and fit a suitable cap to it -though my mate just stuck a polish bottle lid on his, happened to fit very well(!)

A friend with MJ and going to MS soon is going to drop his truck over (for me to wire up MS to), he DIY'd a dumpy, will photograph it if no-one else comes with anything :)

IIRC though, it is pretty simple, machine off almost all the aluminium housing, cut the shaft down under the weights and pop it back in. If you want to waterproof it, cut a thread and fit a suitable cap to it -though my mate just stuck a polish bottle lid on his, happened to fit very well(!)

Mods very much as I thought they would be. As far as the photos go let's see how this thread develops.

Cheers,

Del

Oh, found this!

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87607&p=754164

Best one was in Ian/BBC's Whats the BHP thread, but the images are gone :/

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14006&p=168634

Great! Ian/BBC's post is good stuff. Pity about the photos though. Perhaps if he comes across this thread he may still have them (I should be so lucky!!)

Cheers,

Del

• 2 weeks later...