2.0l MPI engine

oddballrovers

I give it 5 mins before the MS word is mentioned.

To answer your question properly my brother has a t16 in his lightweight which is basically the same engine but with a turbo attached. He is using the factory ECU so I can't see why you would have problems. I will point him in the direction of this thread for his comments.

• Like 1

Off the cuff - yes it should work, early discos didn't have much in the shape of integration, so in theory I would expect the ECU to be stand alone - A quick look at the discovery mpi wiring manual which you will need is a good idea.

G.

• Like 1

When I saw one of these in a scrap yard I had a quick look and it seemed like the flywheel housing might mate up to an LT77 and the back of the engine looked like a rover 620 lump

I think I read that the kit car men have got the 620ti running so putting two and two together and getting a big number, I wonder if that's a viable powertrain for us?

• Like 1

Never fear, Chris is here!

In a word yes. You will need to get the ecu decoded so that the immobiliser is removed, but some one on the many rover forums will be able to point you in the right direction.

Alternatively you could try and source an early rover t16 ecu without it. But they aren't wasted spark and will require a 2 gap reluctor ring to be fitted to the flywheel as well as a dizzy to the back of the cam shaft... and possibly the matching camshaft with a dizzy drive.

Personally i'd get the immobilser removed as it will give you more clearance on the bulkhead. And it shouldn't be too expensive.

The wiring diagrams are all available. You should be able to use the disco loom. But you may need to disconnect the immobilizer connection at the ecu plug.

Don't use a turbo ecu. It won't run right.

If you need any more help just shout.

• Like 1

I run my lwt t16 turbo through a lt77/lt230 using sd1 2000/v8 parts so I have a very short bell housing setup. Although I will soon be connecting it to an r380. You can use the disco box, but its much longer.

Thats excellent to know its possible, I've often thought an LPG petrol setup for the 90 would be nicer than the TDi and more refined for everyday use.

Do you have any pictures ?

I'll do a search now, note to self, stop being lazy... :-)

• Like 1

Hi

That is great news, I do not think MS is an option as it has to be low cost, and from experience with Rover cars using the same generation ECU I have seen how clever they acctually are, and I have a DTA box on the shelf wich could be plan B or the lifeline :-) But I think it would be nice to make it simple just using the OE ECU, I do already have a bellhousing from such a disco so so that will be used for making an adaptor kind of thing to the gearbox I am going to use, and that has not been decieded upon as yet.

Since I have the chance of getting everything I want from the car, my next question is what should I get?

Cheers

Ole

Sorry for the slow reply. Comps been playing up.

Just search ecu decoding, theres alot of companies that do it.

Heres one in the uk i found that does rover MEMs ecu's, but you must have comapnies that do it locally.

http://ecu-technologies.co.uk/

Looking on the rover tech forum, it should cost around £30 + postage to have one decoded. So shop around.

As for parts, i would try to lift the ecu/ engine loom and fuse box. the fuel system isn't much use as teh disco will have an internal tank pump. but the exahust should be chopable. and is a fairly decent bore to start with.

Hi

That is just great, decoding was the word :-) thnx, but there are not many here in DK that offers that service so I think that I we make use of the link as they do list the mems box.

I do wonder why i did not find the tread about your car, but nice it is now :-) to read, I do think "The Kitten" will be pretty quick with 140BHP ish and the max6500 rpm is just great since it runs the low ratio OneTon gearbox, max speed now with the 2,5 4pot is 100km/h so the GPS tells

Cheers

Ole

Theres a few pics here. I didnt take many, but hopefully this gives you an idea.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=81634

That is a very neat solution and sits well back in the chassis, was there any need to modify the foot wells like a typical v8 conversion.

This is potentially a painful thread as I have a spare chassis, bulkhead, axles, I think a gearbox and I'm close to retirement.......

There's a guy on the Series 2 Club board (Simeon I think was his forum handle, maybe here too?) Who put an Mpi lump in a SWB on the standard Series box.

Tidy job by all accounts, made an adapter ring using dimensions from a Prima conversion, and welded a 2.25 mating flange to the MPi backplate to make it narrower.

Running the Mpi ecu etc, reckons it's as good as a 2.25 petrol, similar torque figures, but double the BHP so moves a lot quicker, and can crack 30 mpg.

I wrote a feature on it for Classic Land Rover magazine sometime last year.

• 6 years later...
On 10/1/2015 at 4:41 PM, MECCANO said:

Never fear, Chris is here!

In a word yes. You will need to get the ecu decoded so that the immobiliser is removed, but some one on the many rover forums will be able to point you in the right direction.

Alternatively you could try and source an early rover t16 ecu without it. But they aren't wasted spark and will require a 2 gap reluctor ring to be fitted to the flywheel as well as a dizzy to the back of the cam shaft... and possibly the matching camshaft with a dizzy drive.

Personally i'd get the immobilser removed as it will give you more clearance on the bulkhead. And it shouldn't be too expensive.

The wiring diagrams are all available. You should be able to use the disco loom. But you may need to disconnect the immobilizer connection at the ecu plug.

Don't use a turbo ecu. It won't run right.

If you need any more help just shout. 

Hello, I want to ask you my friend about the wiring loom! if i use the engine from 620ti, is it fit the wiring loom from the Disco mpi?

Many thanks