Project Shoehorn modified?

keiser

Hi all..

Does anybody know what this? I've got a 110XD which has the REMUS upgrade and a sticker in the window which says 'operation Shoehorn modified'

I can't find anything in the web apart from a revised weight due to Shoehorn mod!

Thanks

• Like 1

Ok, I'm starting to understand what Shoehorn was now... When the Bowman radio system replaced the Clansman, the vehicle units were 3 times heavier and apparently even broke an axle on a Wolf. Hence the Wolf 90 were withdrawn from service and the TUM were upgraded to accommodate the weight. (Post design project Shoehorn!)

I'm still not exactly sure what these upgrades were. There is mention of an extra roll bar and even stronger axles but nothing has been confirmed as yet.. I'll keep digging... Apparently the work was done in house by ABRO so I've requested some info from them.

XD 90's are being disposed as they just don't have the space for the bowman comms kit, IIRC bowman was the intended system for the XD/Wolf 7 pulse ambulance comms anyway, xd rear axles are already beefed up from new as part of the build spec.

it was probably a nickname for the bowman systen fit as it had to be 'shoehorned' in to the respective vehicles, I have MOD internet access at work, I'll see if there's anything on it about shoehorn can also read the Army's KIT online magazine for vehicle mods/upgrades.

I don't think it was an informal nickname. The sticker on the window is official looking and I've seen an Mod document which refers to the added weight as a result of the Shoehorn modification. They definitely had an extra anti roll bar as a result of the Bowman fit. Maybe that's all it was? The anti roll bar apparently added an extra 150kg to the gross vehicle weight.

Project shoehorn, as mentioned above, came about due to the vehicles not being able to take the extra weight from all the BOWMAN radio kit that replaced the old CLANSMAN radio kit.

For example...

A typical Command Fit for a LR would require a new rack across the width of the LR and one down the side, with only 1 seat in the rear, to be used when static. The width wise rack carried 2xVHF, 1xHF, a High Capacity Data Radio a couple of power amps. The side facing rack carried a printer and laptop.

All this extra weight made the LR very top heavy and I believe several rolled during testing before they solved the problem. Though I don't know 100% I believe Project Shoehorn was upgraded suspension, axle and anti roll bar.

you may have seen this already http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?51182-Project-Shoehorn-modification also asked a facebook friend

• Ralph Dadge Mr Hodge, do you have any info about 'project shoehorn' something to do with XD/Wolf 110 suspension mods for bowman radio fit, a forum friend on LR4x4.com is looking for info about it, as his vehicle is noted on docs as recieving the modifications.
  • 12003347_886604128089333_829077841981422
    Robert Hodge There is some info available in the Internet about it. One section covers a huge multi page document about alterations, if you've got the time to search it all. I'll have a chat to some fitters soon and see if they know anything.
  • 1000039_10151651127255219_2071551665_n.j
    Ralph Dadge Thanks, that would be great, do you have a link to the multi page document mentioned above

Google is your freind.

ARMY EQUIPMENT 2320-D-128-811 SUPPORT PUBLICATION 2nd Edition Oct 1999 (Superseding 1st edition June 1998)

Project SHOEHORN Revised weight data plate

SUBJECT: INTRODUCTION

1 Following the introduction of the BOWMAN communication system to the Land Rover fleet, it was found that some TUM (HS) variants were over weight. To address this issue SUV IPT tasked ABRO to modify specific vehicles (project SHOEHORN); this involved the fitting of a rear anti-roll bar.

This has given the vehicle an additional 150 kg weight capability, increasing the GVW from 3350 kg to 3500 kg. In order to comply with legislation an additional data plate indicating the vehicles GVW has to be fitted to the modified vehicle. The original data plate (located under the bonnet adjacent to the brake servo) is not to be removed.