Hole in rag top, anyone used a glue on patch with success?

casperboat

My roof is wearing a little thin in places and a small hole has appeared, above where my daughter sits laugh.gif, it's fine my side... Looking on ebay you can buy tent repair patches for a few quid, some are self sticky, which I would guess are rubbish?, some need glue.. Not sure how good the canvas is either, doubt it's as thick as the existing roof.. Do these things actually stay stuck on? Has anyone used one they can recommend, or will I need to sew a patch on for any lasting use. My roof is black, so I did think of cutting something else up to use as a donor for the patch..
Thanks.

I'd try find a suitable canvas material from a rucksack or a bag, look in a charity shop or similar, and attach it with a hot glue gun, followed by a hair dryer to melt the hot glue into both canvases, wear gloves as it will be HOT. Or have a helper below holding a wooden board, and use an iron?

Then apply waterproofing, and start saving for a new tilt.

Didn't think about a hot glue gun, we have loads of those at work.. I did consider finding something made of suitable canvas I could cut up to use, not sure what yet.. You can buy cuts of canvas off the net, but until it arrives, you've no idea what it's really like, could be thin rubbish..

My canvas top is very worn and develops holes all the time - I just patch with squares of canvas (the material similar to the roof material) and glue with hardware "Liquid Nails". For very small holes I have used the iron on patches for repairing holes in clothing - all edges need to be rounded though as they will lift at corners if left square.

Garry

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. These hot glue patches have been on a little while and it has been very wet this week, but they are holding up well. The whole roof though, is damp on the inside.. I've got some Fabsil to treat it, but it needs to be dry to do it, but it hasn't dried out for a week now.. I've just had to wipe the inside of the rag to remove the start of mould! I need a fine dry day...