101 Engine and Gearbox Mounts

garrycol

Hi Donald - yes there are not all that many 101s around these days so it is hard at times to find information specific to the vehicles but that goes with the territory.

I hope you get some time soon to do some work on yours and get some use in. They are a great vehicle to drive.

Cheers

Garry

• 4 weeks later...

From experience, a linger front prop seems the best way to eliminate the rumble.

The longer front prop on the auto conversion on my old GS never rumbled, contrasting with the manual box which did it regularly above 50mph.

Sitec found similar on his 101 with the cummins conversion.

Your other option is to fit a set of 4.7 crownwheel/pinion gears, and if so desired a set of lower ratio high range gears (stage 1 perhaps) in the transfer box to lower the rotational speed of the props for a given road speed, as noted above, my GS only did it above 50mph (80kph).

Worth asking Andrew what he thinks with the current setup on his truck, as from memory he's got a set of 0.9:1 high range gears, 4.7 diffs and overdrive with a fairly chirpy 3.9 engine.

Might be a good comparison if you're thinking on building a reasonably trick 4.6 for it.

It seems that the problem is the v8 engine and the way it sits on the chassis rails keeping the gearbox high and a steep angle of the front propshaft. In my Gs I fitted an isuzu 3.1 engine and land rover auto box and made a point of lowering the unit in the chassis rails.There is no rumble and have done away with the annoying gearbox bulge in the rear load bed

Thanks for those points - Andrew is loving his 101 but his still have the rumble. The main solution seems to be lowering the engine hence my question.

My current front driveshaft is rubber filled to damp out vibrations and has larger UJs with finer needle rollers and while this has reduced the vibration and noise it is still there.

cheers

Garry

• 5 weeks later...

I thought that fitting a double cardon propshaft at the gearbox end stopped the rumble (I think gearbox end is correct!).

Nope - been done and does not work. Is no better than just keeping the splines and UJs well greased.

There are only two proven fixes - rotating the front diff or lowering the engine/gearbox unit.

Garry