exmoor front seats retrim

Soooo I have a 1988 90 and plan on doing retrim on all three front seats including the foams. Is it really as easy as the vids show on YouTube and are there any pitfalls, hints or tips on doing this as it's a job I've not done before!!!

Thanks in advance

An extra pair of hands wouldn't go amiss, apart from that it's relatively straight forward. I've done my front two and centre seat all with exmoor kits.The first seat will take you some time, the second about half as long....I'd recommend some bum-heaters too whilst it's all apart!

Nip down to your local dry cleaners and beg/steal/borrow a couple of the very thin poly bags they put around clothes. Put one on the seat back before you try to put the vinyl/cloth on - it will slide on much easier.

Be sure you have the right seat frames to strt with. you need the softback type seats rather than the ones with a moulded plastic backing.

Mine were the plastic backed type and where the kit did fit. and there are no issues with it, it was designed for the softback type seats (most common and most likely what you have)

Fitting is slightly harder with the hardback seats, but i still managed it on my own and the results were great. much comfier and more supporting foams not to mention looking 20X smarter

Thanks for your thoughts on this, my confidence is growing! ! Will place my order tomorrow. Good ideas on the plastic and silicone method, plus an extra pair of hands that seems to be the way to go.

I'll update this thread with some before and after pics, soon as santa has been :)

For the seat base, warm the plastic retaining bead in a bucket of hot water before you start, it makes the job sooooooo much easier. I'd also reject the advice in the instructions to hit the bead with a mallet, the vinyl sides of the covers are very easy to tear if the bead is a bit too tight.

For the seat base, warm the plastic retaining bead in a bucket of hot water before you start, it makes the job sooooooo much easier. I'd also reject the advice in the instructions to hit the bead with a mallet, the vinyl sides of the covers are very easy to tear if the bead is a bit too tight.

Thanks Dave88sw that makes sense with the hot water. Not sure on the vinyl so might go with the techno pattern material, not as sticky in the summer?!

• 2 months later...

Nip down to your local dry cleaners and beg/steal/borrow a couple of those very thin poly bags that suits/dresses come back in. Put them on the seat backs to make getting the tight outer covering on very easy. Also don't lose the little plastic rivety things that fix the cord on the seat base in place....

I've fitted Exmoor in the past, and Britpart half leather XS seat covers with heaters more recently. I think (Unlikely as it seems) that the Britpart kit was easier and little to call it in terms of quality! If I ever do another set, it will be Britpart! The kit included everything you need and even a video on DVD of what to do.

(Not often you hear anyone praise a BritPart Part!)

Si

As a general rule, if it turns, seals or is safety critical, buy Genuine parts from a main dealer. If they are just too expensive for you, 'Genuine' quality from Britpart or Bearmach are OK on the whole.

Anything else, Britpart or any of the others are fine.

Si