Panic Buying Fuel.....

Guest MJG

Well the Camels empty and I can`t be arsed filling up till I need to, I cycle to work most days so don`t really need to panic buy. If I had something planned this weekend I`d probably go and chuck a bit in, but as I don`t I`ll get around to it when I need to.

Price for diesel ranges from 92.9 to 99.9 around here, who said some people ar`nt cashing in on it. :angry:

therefore they know that even if the charged £5.00 in fuel duty we'd have to lump it and pay up

No Siggy, you don't have to lump it. There is another way and as far as our future on this planet goes, the only way.

http://www.bio-power.co.uk/

I intend to try this fuel but if anyone has already perhaps they could let us know how they got on.

Jon.

Well the Camels empty and I can`t be arsed filling up till I need to, I cycle to work most days so don`t really need to panic buy. If I had something planned this weekend I`d probably go and chuck a bit in, but as I don`t I`ll get around to it when I need to.

I tried to fill up on Monday but the volvo's battery died when I was in the queue at Tesco :angry: Managed to get a jump start and didn;t bother trying to fill up in casethe same happens.

Don't camels drink water? :rolleyes:

As I also cycle into work 3 times a week, now that I'm down to may last couple of gallons, I can't use "the no petrol" excuse not to come into work. :(

I suppose I could drive the lwt - twin tanks, both full and a pair of jerries in the back, mostly full but would be scared in case I get mugged :o

Jon

What happens when the Government decide to stick fuel revenue on the bio fuels/lpg and force it to be sold at the same price as other fuels

After all, all they want is YOUR money they not interested in your job health family etc just your money

so don't blockade which will soon be classed as an illegal act don't buy any fuel they can't make that illegal

take vehicles off road SORN no tax revenue no fuel revenue.... no war on iraq, no money for immigrants no nhs

wholesale uproar new Government(s) after all the next lot will be the same........

Well the Rebel went out to fill the company car yesterday.

In our area (Emswoth/Chichester) EVERY garage he went to had no diesel!

Sat in Tescos (Chichester) 2 cars from the pumps, when they closed too!

Came home, local village garage had some, but wait for it..... £1.05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God knows we will need to remorgage the house for the Shires challenge on sunday the way he drives his series!!!!

Siggy,

The following is an extract from the Bio-Power website:

"...In Germany, Italy, Poland, USA, Australia and many other countries around the world, there is no charge of Duty on the use of non-fossil fuels for any purpose including transport. This is because the taxation in the European Union only applies to 'Mineral' hydrocarbon fuels, and not to organic hydrocarbon fuels. It is clear that Britain is a very long way behind our European partners in providing the legal framework to encourage and foster a viable bio-fuel industry. We hear plenty of 'Green Speak' from politicians, but little 'Green Do' from the British government.

In recognition of the need to address the issues of Global Warming and Climate Change, Britain is also signatory to the Non-Fossil Fuels treaty. We have made an undertaking described in the 'Non-Fossil Fuel Obligation' (NFFO) to reduce the use of fossil fuels and encourage the introduction of renewable energy. Britain has since attempted to reduce the rate of change to the absolute minimum. This is very much an example of fiddling whilst Rome burns, except in the case of Global Warming it is the future of the whole planet that is so seriously at risk. The government claims that the NFFO applies only to fuels used in the generation of electricity and does not relate to fuels used for transport purposes, yet this amounts to a very significant part of the carbon emission into the atmosphere. It is our view that the obligation must apply to the use of transport fuels if the purpose of the undertaking is to be achieved at all. In our view the scope must be broadened to cover the use of all fossil fuels in any situation, including high energy industries like cement manufacture, and transport fuels. We also argue that the proposed extent of change from fossil to renewable fuels is far from adequate to save the fate of the planet..."

I think in the light of this and our governments commitment to the Kyoto treaty they would find it very hard to justify any further increases in duty on bio fuels, particularly in the face of effective lobbying. It would also help a great deal if the opposition and who ever eventually leads them could be encouraged to make a greater commitment to addressing the issue.

In addition, if we lessened our dependency on the use of oil there would be less of a reason for conflict in the middle east.

I also think those who object to 4x4's in general would find it very much harder if the 4x4 movement championed the cause of bio-fuels, in particular the use of veggie oil.

So whilst your idea is sound and with the best intentions, in principle it's not going to work because folk will still need to use their vehicles. By switching to fuels such as those that are produced from used vegetable fat, for example, people can still use their cars whilst sticking two fingers up at the oil companies.

Because the government is committed to reduce car dependency in order to cut CO2 emmissions (and congestion, which is a seperate issue), fuel prices will need to be kept high, especially if the government want to meet their targets, so it is very likely that fuel will need to go over £1 a litre and remain there.

Bio-Powers V100 fuel is between 75pence and 80pence a litre and if some of the good folk who are producing this fuel could get funding to build bigger plants I would imagine the cost per litre would come down further.

It seems that there are several other benefits in using vegetable oil, making it worthy of further investigation, which I intend to do and will gladly let everyone here know the outcome.

And just in case anyone is wondering I am in no way connected with Bio-power, I just find their ethos attractive in addition to the prospect of running the landy and not having to give any more of my money to an oil company for the privilege.

Jon.

Agree with a lot of what is said, Siggy has some good points & the Biofuel is very much a practical option if they had the same lobbying power as the mores established fuel suppliers.

Same goes for LPG, although still a fossil fuel, anyone who has ever been near an offshore installation or refinery will know just how much of it goes up in flames every minute.

My feeling is the government is simply afraid of loosing control of their revenue so stick with blanket taxation. The laws we have, many of them fine and stood the test of time, have to be looked at again with a more balanced view rather than the somewhat paranoid view that our leaders seem to have.

John Prescott pokes his head up again he will get every egg I can lay my hands on :P

By the way - Same thing is happening in Indonesia right now, fuel prices going up, people stockpiling and Stations running out. There is going to be a big fire soon having seen what they are carrying around in and the way they cook in most of the shacks around here. :o