How did you guys get your transfer boxes back?

Boydie

I've got my Disco up on ramps, getting the transfer box out to fit a new Ashcroft differential was fairly easy, to a certain extent after fitting the three guide studs it was gravity assisted :blush: and restrained with a sling from inside the cabin, but it's too low for a transmission hoist of any type so, any advice would be appreciated - bear in mind you're talking to a 68yo pensioner who gave up lifting weights about the same time I gave up exercising with a Black Edition of Penthouse.

I have made a cradle for that on wheels - but our 110 & 90 are higher on their wheels - and that is in high demand...

Most people have a go and lift it while under the vehicle - not a smart thing to do unless you are into weight lifting.

Some people fit a good solid beam inside the vehicle against the veiling and after rolling it under the vehicle lift it through a pulley attached to said beam. Be sure to to support the thing before getting under the vehicle again. Pulley attached to enginehoist also works usu. quite well.

Good luck.

^^^ On a 90/110 I lift them through the hole in the seat box with a wire winch puller thing.

RRC and D1 - only did it once and it wasnt fun but I made a block of wood to fit the bottom of the sloping bit and ratchet strapped it to my trolley jack, then using long studs for alignment kinda worked it into place.

I stood the back of the truck on a couple of low ramps to gain a bit of crawl space and as a little tip, to do a bit of fine adjustment a hi-lift under the tow bar to move the body/chassis/ground relationship just a couple of inches. ( not talking about lifting the vehicle, just moving it on the springs a bit)

As miketomcat says, the workshop manual has the drawings for the correct cradle.

I made one up out of scrap angle. Weld a spigot (I used a security wheelnut iirc) on the bottom to suit the trolley jack, and then the only heavy lifting is loading it onto the jack under the car.

I used my legs; lie under the car with the box on your knees with a bit of foam between your knees and the box. Bend your legs upwards, once your up and move to the left onto the boltholes, fit 2 bolts with your hands, done. On their own, the boxes are not heavy, loose the brake drum and it becomes pretty manageable.

Daan

fortunately, these days i'm lucky enough to have a 4 post ramp and transmission jack. before that i had to lie on my back and lift it in. not a nice job. easy to damage seals when you are struggling with it. i would highly recommend making or buying a cradle to jack it up with, even better if you have a jack with 4 omnidirectional castors.

its the shape more than the weight which makes it awkward. 75% of the weight is within the output portion of the box, rather than around the part which you are trying to align

when you bolt it back in, make sure the bolts which thread into the transfer box from the front aren't too long as they can foul on the gear inside creating a lot of swarf in not a lot of time. once back together put the gearbox in neutral and transfer box in gear, and difflock and rotate the output. as you know it should be free and smooth.

when you bolt it back in, make sure the bolts which thread into the transfer box from the front aren't too long as they can foul on the gear inside creating a lot of swarf in not a lot of time. once back together put the gearbox in neutral and transfer box in gear, and difflock and rotate the output. as you know it should be free and smooth.

Maybe I'm forgetting something.... but I can't think of any bolts into the transfer box? Are you meaning the two M10 studs?

Done one the manual way, that's not fun at all.

Borrowed a jack/adaptor the second time - made it a hundred times easier.

My first one I lifted by hand on my own from inside the Defender and that was painful as well as not fun (at 68 you won't be doing that).

My 2nd one was helping James so we had the adaptor plate and two people! This is what I recommend :) You will need to raise your disco a bit to get everything underneath though if I remember correctly.

With my recent series conversion I must have lifted the LT230 in 5~6 times. Each time I had one of my sons in the cabin who gave a helping hand to lift the t-case into place while I was underneath lifting. The extra set of hands made it possible for me.