TD5 MAF wiring route to ECU

V8 Freak

I have a friend with a poorly TD5... Awwww....

Engine has no guts.... Popped on Nanocom and can see that MAF not working.. Constant reading of 4.0...

Put on my working MAF and no difference...

We will need to check wiring continuity back to ECU but it would help to know the route it takes in the loom and if there are any connectors before it finally get to Pin 11 in the red plug...

Can anyone help please....

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Seems to be a straight shot to the ECU, only the +ve comes from a header shared with the EGR, which goes through another header and comes from pin 22 on the ECU connector C0658.

The other wires go to ECU connector C0158, pins 11 and 20.

You'll probably want to look at the RAVE yourself.

No but tried mine in his..... (As mentioned above)

Mine working and showing air flow in Nanocom when connected to my vehicle... He's borrowed my spare VDO MAF as well.... But I think we have proven he has a wiring issue doing what we have done so far.

Now to trace wires and check connections...

Neil,

On the disco, these wires pass over the air con pump and then through some conduit towards the opposite side of the engine bay. They often chafe as they run over this route so this seems the most likely place to check to start with.

I think the routing will be different Rich.. Defender ECU under drivers seat, Disco in engine bay...I think it'll probably go over the back of the engine and join the main loom then under the truck to the seatbox... Not had a look yet but hopefully any chafing will be obvious...

Neil,

If I remember correctly from my engine change the ecu loom runs around from the centre up the gearbox tunnel then comes up the left of the engine across the front and around to the MAF. As it's the same loom it could be oil from the injector loom causing a short.

Jason

Thanks for all the responses...

The final outcome was good although not as hard to track down as I'd originally feared...

Got hands on the truck yesterday and got the meter out to check continuity between MAF and pin 11 on the red ECU connector...

Looking at the red ECU plug it had a metal socket connector in pin 11, but no wire coming out the back ! (Same for pin 10)

Closer inspection of the loom behind the ECU plug showed two wires taped together and out of the way.

Checked continuity of grey wire to MAF and bingo.

Other wire was output from Ambient Air Pressure sensor.. Continuity check to that plug also good.

Wired up two connectors onto the wires, popped out the redundant sockets and plopped the new ones in...

Fired up and all looked good in Nanocom.

Owner took it for a drive and is very please with his "new" truck...

Turned out he'd lived with this sluggish performance for 5 years !!

Neil

No.. The grommets were still the ecu connector so I suspect pulled through while someone working in there, both snapped clean, showing no wire outside of the insulation...

Possibly past owner fired up, it ran so they knew no better and taped them out of the way assuming them to be surplus.

Only conjecture.... Anyone else care to embelish the possible happenings of more than 5 years ago on a truck they've never seen... Maybe a Nige story, distracted after coating the cat in Waxoyl and forgot the wires.... :) Let the imagination run free.....