How noisy should a Fuel Injection Pump be?

As above, how noisy should the Bosch VE FIP be? Mine has a noticeable and loud tick (a bit like tappets but a lot faster, and I'm convinced its not the tappets) - Its there all the time you are using the accelerator and is particularly noticeable if you apply light throttle on the overrun. I am convinced that a large proportion of my cab noise is this and if i can reduce it my cab would be a quieter place. Is noise from them normal or should they be nearly silent? Its been like this for 3+ years, so i dont think it is a problem that is going to disable the car overnight, but it does seem to be getting gradually louder.

Does my pump need a rebuild or is this normal?

If it is normal, would building some sort of soundproofing box or blanket around the pump be beneficial to reduce the noise?

get a long screwdriver (or socket extension) and put the blade against the suspect component while the engine is running. put your ear to the other end of the screwdriver and listen. it becomes very clear what the noise is coming from if you probe around a few suspect things!

Sorry for the slow response, i was trying to get a video.

You can hear it most of the time i am accelerating in this:

http://vid645.photobucket.com/albums/uu179/reb1978/3C7F7D36-C30A-4797-975D-6862D9F61F79_zpsnxldpvkh.mp4

For the purposes of helping you hear it though, i get the specific noise i am talking about to go silent at 1.38 (just rolling in gear at about 30mph, no accelerator) and then enter a speed camera box at 1.41 and make it start again as i carry on going forward, but just add light pressure on the accelerator pedal. Its the high pitched clicking noise you can hear on and off throughout and, like i say, it is most noticeable on the overrun with just a light touch on the accelerator pedal. So when i go through the camera box, i am not accelerating, just moving down the hill, in gear with a light touch on the pedal.

It cant be the lift pump as the mechanical unit is gone, replaced with a facet electrical pump. Flow is high on this and so i also doubt it is lack of fuel. Furthermore, the noise was the same with the old mechanical lift pump (one reason for changing it was in case it was the lift pump making the noise).

The vacuum pump - perhaps, but i thought that was a problem with the 300tdi mainly, and i cant see why that would come and go with light throttle?

Discomikey - i have been all over it with a stethoscope, but it doesnt seem to do it at idle (or even if you rev it in neutral), so i cant find it this way.

I am convinced that if i can reduce/eliminate this noise i will make the cab a much quieter place to be! I hope you can hear it!

Just that it would cause a tick under load if it wasn't injecting on time. Ive got a few injectors in the Shed, I can post you one to try swapping them out if you want to?

Thanks for that David. These injectors were reconned about three years ago - no guarantee that they aren't the problem though. I've got the old ones in the garage, so I might try swapping them around. For this process will I get away with reusing the current injector seals and leak off washers?

The viscous fan is an interesting one Scott. I don't think it's that in this case as it's been off a few times for various jobs and the 110 run intermittently without it and I don't recall the noise going away.

One thing I have wondered is that the old lift pump had potentially failed for some time (but with no effect on performance apparently) - would the fact that the FIP would have done the job of lifting fuel have damaged it and caused this in some way?

???

im assuming he means with viscous fan remved, you can use a fag paper to detect exhaust leaks. not what you want to hear but dont 200's 'tick' if headgasket has gone at cyl 4?

also a mate of mine thourght his engine was knocking when over 1800rpm. so he reshelled bottom end to then realise that it was fip.. :blush:

i cant really tell by your vid as there are to many other rattles, any change of a vid of it stationary?

im assuming he means with viscous fan remved, you can use a fag paper to detect exhaust leaks. not what you want to hear but dont 200's 'tick' if headgasket has gone at cyl 4?

also a mate of mine thourght his engine was knocking when over 1800rpm. so he reshelled bottom end to then realise that it was fip.. :blush:

i cant really tell by your vid as there are to many other rattles, any change of a vid of it stationary?

You just can't hear it at all when stationary. Seems that it needs to be under load.

If the HG had gone, wouldn't I be able to feel it if gas is escaping and causing a tick? I can get me hands round the back of the engine and can't feel any puffs of air. (No water or oil loss or mayo in the oil, not that that always accompanies HG failure)

Yes, I retract my suggestion of vacuum pump - the 300 is prone to ticking when worn. I assumed this was such a beast.

I'd double check that you've got good fuel pressure to the FIP. Take it for a spin, pull over, then crack the nut on top of the filter, or the inlet to the FIP. Check you've got a good flow of fuel.

I've heard similar noises when associated with clogged filters/failed lift pumps. In fact, when I was running on WVO and prone to clogged filters, I used to use the appearance of such a noise as a warning of impending complete fuel starvation.

Other than that, then yes I'd agree with FIP noise. HG or exhaust manifold doesn't quite work for me - it's just a little too distinct and doesn't appear at idle.

I'd also be looking closely at your electrical replacement. Given that it's non-standard, I'd be looking at the spec and if it's working correctly.

The fuel to the FIP should be good. I have this pump fitted:

http://www.facet-purolator.com/dura-lift-pumps.php

Details of my installation here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=93879

Flow is really good - its rated for 33-50 gallons per hour. It will fill the filter in seconds. One thing I have noticed about it is that you can sometimes observe what appears to be a low fluid level in the clear filter bowl. This worried me at first, but reading the bottom FAQ here, i think it is normal? http://www.facet-purolator.com/faq.php - Removing the outlet pipe and running it into a bowl, it pumps really well regardless. Also, it has made this noise for at least two years, so has done it on several mechanical lift pumps too and has been through regular filter changes in that time.

I'm a bit stumped.