Electrical Problem

Iain_o

Hello,

Having a wee problem, not sure if related however recently had the Rear cross member replaced.

Since I've got it back a few small problems with Electrics; Stereo not working, Full beams work if put on and off however not it pulled towards me (flash), rear right indicator not working.

Was looking for advice, when I first noticed rear indicator thought perhaps related to rear cross member but cant see how that would effect the stereo. The full beam issue is baffling to me as clearly is partially working.

The defender is a 1985 110 CSW

Many thanks

Iain

First step, check and clean the relevant fuses. Unless it's been updated you fuse box will be full of glass fuses which are notorious for poor connections. The feed for the headlamp flash is seperate to the high beam main feed.

Mo

If you have had the crossmember replaced, its likely they have damaged the loom as it runs inside the chassis.

First check if any fuses have blown, but then you are going to have to check the loom. Many who replace the crossmember, run the loom outside the chassis afterwards. This may be what you will have to do to find the problem - i.e chop the loom at the rear, pull it out from the front and re-splice it outside the chassis.

If you had it done professionally and they have damaged it, i would suggest talking to them, as it should be repaired by them.

Normal full and flash will come from different fuses, one perm feed one with lights. Its no surprise.

If you had it done professionally and they have damaged it, i would suggest talking to them, as it should be repaired by them.

Only problem with that is that most garages etc. still think scotchloks and a 100m reel of red (or black) cable is all the wiring kit you need, I'd rather DIY it and know it was done nicely.

Also I'd suggest getting this tracked down ASAP - Land Rover don't fuse everything so you don't want a vehicle fire like Nige had recently. Might want to keep a fire extinguisher in the car... :ph34r: