Oil cartridges

Anderzander

Reading this suggests that is the case:

How does Nexcel work?

Nexcel works rather like the ink cartridge in your printer. It contains the engine oil and filter, as well as electronics to interface with your car for management.

The exact amount of motor oil needed is pumped out of Nexcel into the engine to then circulate and lubricate as normal, returning to the Nexcel unit to pass through the filter.

It can work in a wet or dry sump system, depending on the requirements of the car. With Nexcel, the idea is that you'll always be using the right amount of oil and the right type of oil, with a close interface between the car's management systems and Nexcel.

When it comes to changing the engine oil, you'll select a service setting on the car's management system. The oil will be pumped back into Nexcel and the entire oil cell is removed. The new oil cell is then slotted into the housing and the required amount of oil is pumped out again.

In principle it sounds like a good idea. But then we all know the difference between the cost of some ink, and a printer cartridge. Unfortunately once you tie into a custom brand format, they can do what they like with the price.

it does rather look like a solution looking for a problem to solve.

I suppose if you are a main dealer all those 20 minute savings over a year might make a fair difference and you could use unskilled labour for that task..

Dunno, interesting but not likely to be something I need to worry about, the way the world is going I'm more likely to need a bale of hay for a donkey than an oil change :-)

Yes i'm sure its ECU controlled. It has the advantage that only the correct oil is used (or tied in to expensive brand) and the article infers that it will automatically top up the engine as required, so it must keep a bit of reserve in the cartridge. But i bet the reduced cost of servicing wont be passed on to the customer.

As mentioned before its printer cartridges in another form, and theres not one of us out there that think they are good value.

Reason ink cartridges work I think is that people change them their selfes and don't want to get their hands dirty in an office. With a car, you take it for a service, were you pay people to get their hands dirty regardless. Hardly any normal person changes oil on their car anymore these days.

Daan

Correct conclusion. It helps that we can just lie under our cars, where with most normal cars you can't.

I spent 15 minutes hunting high and low in the engine bay of my boss's Audi RS6 for the dipstick to double check the computers recommended "oil now" message, took a call to main dealer to find out it don't have one :o

This thing is the next step for manufacturers to isolate drivers even further from their cars, "most" cars still have a dipstick for the driver to check the oil level.

funny, i thought this was a thread on the new trend of plastic oil filter housings and going back to old paper disposable elements :(