Soldering Iron

Anderzander

My soldering iron has stopped heating up and is presumably deceased.

More accurately I have actually had a soldering gun, and liked the fact that it got hotter the longer you held the trigger - a control which seemed to cover jobs that would have needed a few sizes of soldering irons.

I'm open to a change though so wondered what is everyone's thoughts on irons / guns ? And if anyone has any recommendations of either type ?

Recently moved to a gas powered Portasol iron, 70W equivalent, but adjustable, find it very good, just remember where the exhaust is pointing!

Think it was around £50 with a good selection of bits.

Trigger irons I never found very good, they end up burning what little coating is on the tip off and then become impossible to tin.

I have a few. A 25w for circuit boards. A 90w for heavy wiring although after a while it gets the tip glowing red which isn't much use. A trigger one which is pretty good for wiring in the car you can usually put it down fairly quickly without if setting fire to stuff but is too bulky to be precise and a gas one which I use where there isn't electric, it's quite bulky in the body but it's nice not having a cable dragging your hand about. It also came with a knife for cutting foam etc which I've never used. You have to refill mine with lighter gas but I think you can get some that run on the cartridges like hair tongs? With all of them I find keeping the tips in good condition the hardest part. I don't know if they've changed the design but they used to last ages, now I find getting a tip to take solder can be a real art?

A good soldering iron is key to a good result. You need something of at least 70/80W and temperature controlled.

I dont think the gun type are very good at all, and there is no reason why you would want different temperature, solder melts at the same temp no matter what the size of the connection. You just need sufficient power to heat.

I do use a gas powered Weller Pyropen for off grid stuff, that also works well.

If your tips are deteriorating they are poor quality. I have had the same tip on my irons for at least 5 years.

it depends a bit (nearly funny) on what you are soldering and how well you have been instructed.

Like a socket set or spanner set.. one size doesnt fit all jobs, some need a bit of reach, some need a bit of flex etc.

If you are doing general and occasional jobs on vehicle electrics such as terminating connectors and repairing stuff, as long as the job is clean and you dont let the iron get too hot a portable butane gas iron is very useful. You have to be careful where the exhaust is blowing as it melts things including your fingers if your not careful. They have a huge advantage there are no trailing leads to burn or trip over. I have cheap dremel ones in the cubby box and one in the big tool cabinet.

If you are repairing or modifying things such as PCBs you really need a temperature controlled iron and for my money you cannot beat the Metcal range. But they are expensive. Keep a good selection of tip shape and sizes at different temperatures. I couldn’t live without them .. sad I know! They are only 20W yet they will generate exactly the heat you need and are very accurately temperature controlled.

Weller 45W TCPs have fallen out of favour as the industry now says you need something far better and more expensive. I used to section surface mount chip components after failures and for sure I know I could solder with a TCP or a Metcal and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. But they are out of favour nonetheless and can be picked up for next to nothing. Again, with care they are a good tool.

240V mains leads really have no place in the field so be careful with a hot iron on the end of an easily melted wire.

An aerosol of re work flux is handy to keep in stock and some IPA for cleaning the joint. There is no evidence of failure induced by not cleaning the flux but it looks so much more professional

The instruction is very important though. Anyone that can pee can solder but they need to know how to do it as its not entirely intuitive If bits are burning out quickly, joints failing or you are melting the insulation, you need to look at the materials and techniques.

HTH

I have the Dremel versatip and it's brilliant! It's easy to use and comes with a good selection of tips. The exhaust thing caught me out the first time when I melted the surface I was soldering on! I now use the exhaust to shrink the heatshrink.

I have 240v irons but to be honest I use the Dremel one more.

On the bench: Metcal or Weller

In the workshop / toolbox: Portasol Super-Pro, with the attachments it does soldering iron, blowlamp, hot air gun, hot knife, BBQ starter...

Have to agree, since your recommendation the other year I've managed to get our group at work to spend over 2k on metcal gear, probably nearer 3k tbh.

They are absolutely amazing kit, I let a mate borrow my MX5000 and he went out bought one straight away.