How far afield??

Paul64

Siret and Bacau

Depends what form of LR recovery and from where! :lol: Don't tell me you know Mike H?!

I worked in the village Ojdula, the closest place I know that I have been to Bacau.

No, I don't know Mike H. I read a thread about you somewhere on this site that you teach marshalls recovery and are very good at it?

hahaaa... like it....Africa & easern Europe and my old home town gets noted as "a bit iffy"........and probably quite rightly so....

PS. As the thread seems to have wandered slightly into medical care, what do you lot do? I'm a Resuscitation Officer. Basically I attend cardiac arrests in hospital, but mostly ~I teach emergency care techniques to health care staff. Anything from resuscitation of the newborn to anaphylaxis or airway management etc... A glorified lecturer with management thrown in. Possibly because of this I tend to take a very basic first aid kit. I have one or two collegues who seem to carry a trunk full of excessive stuff with them in their cars near home, let alone on a tour.

Jas

Thanks Jas,

Senior Primary Care Nurse for two medical centres. 90% management these days, but I still try to keep my hand in. I used to do more acute stuff in the NHS, Neuro trauma ITU.

My brother drove his ex electricity board 110 from Sheffield to Nepal via europe, turkey, iran, pakistan, Kashmir, india, nelpal. He drove 16,000 miles in 9 months. He had to fly home though as Iran would not give him a visa to recross the country.

He finished work 2 weeks before he went and did the following extensive (not) preparation:

overhauled engine,

fitting new steering box

24hrs before leaving he fitted it out as a camper with some ply wood and some caravan seats.

1/2hr before leaving he raided the washing basket for some clothes.

The roof tent was picked up on the way.

Some gear teeth were found when the gearbox oil was changed in Germany, but it didn't seam to make much differance.

He had the engine tuned in Pakistan.

He had no problems. All you need is a sense of adventure, passport and money.

I spent some time with him in Pakistan/Kashmir - from that I would suggest:

fit the exhaust heat sheild!!, 55C in the cab is no fun. Aircon would have been excellent.

Hand water purifiers/filters are great/simple. But in 40C 3 people can drink the water as fast as you filter it. An electric one would have been good.

Fit extra fuel tanks - Jerry cans are no good.

Make sure you carry enough cash - there are not many cash machines in Kashmir etc. We had to sell our jerry cans to get enough fuel to get back to Islamabad.

Adrian

I also meant to say that if you don't need a 4x4 don't take one. There is tamac right aound the world. My brother would take a Merc van if he did it again as it would have been cheper to run, buy, more relaxing to drive and would have had more room in the back.

If your going off tarmac make sure you don't do daft stuff like get a hire car stranded in the morocan desert as the sun goes down with no map, compass, communication equipment, water etc. It's very very stupid and very stressfull...... However afterwards it makes a good story at parties/impresses the ladies etc....

Thanks Leeds,

Sounds great! Any photos? Did you camp on the trip? Where did you go in Romania?

Cheers, Paul

Put one pic up on Lapland thread. Got hundreds of photos.

Romania is a great place to go. Driving on their 'roads' can be fun.

If you are interested will put a thread up with photos

Regards

Leeds

The trip to mongolia started in Hyde park (london. I confused a few people in Sheffield by not adding the London).

First stop was Prague and then across slovakia, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, back into russia and then Mongolia.

Its actually a fairly easy trip at the time of year we went (summer) which is why the rally organisers make the 1000cc or less rule on the cars entering.

If you want more info www.mongolrally.com

or our website www.teamsnailracer.mongolrally.com if its still working. It also has some very small pictures

Snailracer

The trip to mongolia started in Hyde park (london. I confused a few people in Sheffield by not adding the London).

First stop was Prague and then across slovakia, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, back into russia and then Mongolia.

Its actually a fairly easy trip at the time of year we went (summer) which is why the rally organisers make the 1000cc or less rule on the cars entering.

If you want more info www.mongolrally.com

or our website www.teamsnailracer.mongolrally.com if its still working. It also has some very small pictures

Snailracer

Looked like you had great fun!