tdi manifold on a 2.25

kerin

hello everyone new to the forum and first land rover

i have been looking on the internet and have noticed some people have been putting 200tdi engines in there series land rovers but they have been removing the turbo and exhaust manifold and fitting a 2.25 exhaust manifold instead to make a 200di so what i wanted to know was if i got a 200 tdi or 300 tdi turbo and manifold would it with a thicker head gasket to lower compressionbe able to fit it to my 2.25 engine ? or would i be better off fitting a v8 instead its just i wanted to be different

any advice would be great thanks kerin

2.25 diesel? You will kill it in short order. Even if you wanted to, you would need to somehow change the injection system to increase fueling as boost comes on. If you are talking about a 2.25 petrol, then it is even more complicated as you need to change timing with boost.

We ran a 2.25 Turbo charged diesel back in the 90's and it is possible.

We used a turbo from the 2.5 and it takes a few mods but, bh., it is not worth it.

You could end up with a lot of work for an engine that lasts very short.

Diesel upgrade : 200 / 300 Tdi.

Petrol : 2.5 is very nice... V8 a bit ott.

Have Fun.

• 2 weeks later...

In my view the best engine mod to a series land Rover is to fit a 200 Tdi; they seem to go for £500 plus, or a MOT failed Disco with a good engine for a bit less for some reason. The donor vehicle can give you all sorts of extras to help the conversion and a few, like the wheels, that can also be useful.

Fitting a 200 di (without turbo) into a series Land Rover is not difficult, gives you a bit more power, quite a lot more low down torque and halves the fuel consumption. The only part that needs any real effort is inventing a new exhaust. It should also last for ever. Have a look at http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

The only series Land Rover I have experience of the full fat 200 Tdi is a Series 2b Forward Control; that was a more serious job which involved (in my case) cutting the chassis, tilting the engine 5 degrees to the right and rebuilding the seat box to give clearance as well as spending weeks trying to sort the exhaust. However, it goes like a bird, or did until the pinion bearings went in the rear axle.

Go diesel. However, if you really want to experiment with 2 1/4 petrol engines I (and I expect many other people) have two of them you can blow up.

the biggest pains in fitting a 200 tdi to a series (with the turbo) is the exhaust and intercooler, and if you are fitting the turbo you will have the same issues anyway so you may as well go the whole hog.

i think fitting a V8 would be even more work again, but as FF says its probably the most fun the drive. i find my Tdi Series 3 can be a little unpredictable in the wet, if the turbo starts to spool up in the middle of a corner it can easily go brown and pear shaped very quickly

They seem to come up on ebay quite regularly. I set up a search a while ago and get emails when they come up. The prices do tend to vary wildly though, as does what yo get with them.

I got an adapter complete with a late model Series 3 gearbox and a load of other bits and bobs for just over a hundred.

Yeah, the adaptors do come up. I think I paid about £50 a few months back. Having done both a diesel and a V8 conversion now, I can tell you they are about the same amount of work, bulkhead fettling aside. The diesel is economical but I found boring. I feel like I'm throwing a twenty out the window every time I fire the V8 up, but it makes me grin so much to drive I don't care!

A turbo 2.25 would be quite fun, just for giggles. But more effort (and more technical) than both conversions combined to make workable, unless you're already quite skilled at setting up diesel injector pumps... Same goes for petrol with ignition and fueling. Depends on your level of experience!