Fundraising...

Nick Boy

Hello everyone,

For our expedition, we are raising money to support Medecins sans frontieres. Unfortunately, we have been unable to proactively carry out fundraising events. We had hoped that visitors to our site may donate to our charities, but until now, despite over 500,000 hits, none of our website visitors have given anything.

We have had some press attention now, and have appeared in papers across surrey, we have also attended car shows including the Dunsfold collection show in a bid to increase our profile.

If anyone here has any ideas on how we may improve this, or please let me know.

Nick + the Lone Wolf Transglobal Team

Probably not what you want to hear Nick but what about selling all that kit you have collected and donating that, plus the money budgetted for fuel, etc for the trip to MSF?

We intend to sell most of the kit afterwards, with the agreement of our sponsors, donating the proceeds to the charities. But given that we are supposed to be the most charitable country in the world, what can we do to get people other than ourselves to give to these charities.

What are you doing for your expedition exactly?

Why did you choose Medecins sans frontieres?

Are you Dr's or nurses yourselves?

The main objective of our experdition is to travel overland areound the world.

We chose MSF because we support the work they have undertaken until now, and feel they are often overlooked when it comes to charity support.

We are not doctors or nurses, but our expedition leader has taken an emergency medical technician course, so he knows how to apply a basic level of medical first aid. two of our other team members have some first aid experience.

We do intend to carry out some support to MSF along our route, mainly supplying remote hospitals with medicines.

First of all check out the Royal Geographical Society site, even better try and visit them. They have two big resources that will be a help to you. The expedition advisory service. Staff there are dedicated to supporting expeditions in the planning and in the field. They have some fantastic resources, and do a great book on expedition medicine. Also consider a book called 'where there is no doctor'. I am a Fellow of the RGS, so if I can help in any way, let me know.

Make sure you get good immunisation advice before you go, and take Malaria very seriously if you are in areas where it is a problem. A lot of travellers think by taking the tablets alone they are covered. They are NOT! There is a lot of resistant strains of malaria out there, so nets soaked in premethrin and personal DEET repellant is essential.

I had quite a lot of experience of fund raising for such activities in the late eighties. I worked in Medical centres in Ethiopia and Romania. All our fund raising was done by Drs and Nurses performing Human MOT's in shopping centres. It was a lot of fun and we raised a lot of money. There are other options, one would be advertising on the vehicles for a fee from companies.

Let me know if I can help anymore.

Thank you, of course your help is valuable, Daniel is also a fellow of the RGS, and we have spoken to the expedition Advisory centre. You are right they do have a great wealth of knowledge.

We already have companies sponsoring our expedition, and one company sponsored us for £5000, provided half went to charity.

If you have any further advice on supporting medical organisations in the field, that would be very welcome, especially as that appears to be your field of expertise.

Nick

Should have looked at your website before posting, as you are obviously advanced in your preparation and planning. A very impressive site, and the Wolf looks outstanding.

One thing I forgot to mention is about the medicines. If you are planning to carry lots for other organisations you will need the appropriate documentation. Make sure all medicines are in date. Documentation is especially important if you are carrying scheduled or controlled drugs. A lot of medicines will use a trade name, which could actually be scheduled. May seem harmless enough, but could prove a real pain in the butt trying to explain on the border.

a lot of information about classification of medications can be found on the BNF site. This will also be useful for your own medical kit. http://www.bnf.org/bnf/index.htm You will need to register with the site to access all of the information.

I just hope Romania is in the EU before you reach their border, as officials can be a real drag. I have a very good Romanian friend who is a customs an excise officer. If you have problems getting through let me know. I lived over there for more than a year, and the bureaucracy is excruciating and frustrating. Be aware of this before you enter, and it doesn't get to you so much. It happens to everyone as most officials are looking for a bribe.

I also have several Dr contacts in Transylvania, so again I can help you out there if anyone needs medical attention when passing through. I am not sure of your route through Romania. However, make sure you see Transylvania. It will change dramatically when they join the EU, so must be seen and experienced now! The three counties where mainly ethnic Hungarians live are the best in my opinion.

You will see a big difference in the quality of roads when you cross the border from Hungary to Romania. You will also see a big difference in driving standards! Seeing an 18-wheeler overtaking on a blind bend is not uncommon! My wife comes from Transylvania, so I have driven across Romania many times. It still scares the c**p out of me.

Are you camping in Romania? If so be careful in the plains that surround Transylvania, leave nothing unattended! You will never see it again. If you are winter camping in Transylvania the temperatures regularly hit double figures below zero. I am sure the Nords on your expedition will not be fazed by this, but it does take some getting used to.

You will like Hungary. Lake Balaton is especially nice, although I have never been there in January.

You will also see a big difference in driving standards! Seeing an 18-wheeler overtaking on a blind bend is not uncommon! It still scares the c**p out of me.

you wanna try driving in Bosnia.... :rolleyes: I know they've had a hard time, but they must have something to live for.....

you wanna try driving in Bosnia.... :rolleyes: I know they've had a hard time, but they must have something to live for.....

I haven't been to Bosnia myself, but I have heard a few nightmare road stories from the army lads here.

My wife was telling me that the driving test is examined by traffic cops. Her firend sat her test with this unshaven and generally deshevelled looking policeman. She was so nervous, it took her all her strength to get the Dacia in 1st. The policeman said "come on love, you can be rougher than that with the gearstick, pretend its your boyfriends dick"!

She failed, as she didn't pay the bribe! I didn't ask if it was money he was after.