Disco 2 ACE

pires54

My Disco TD5 ACE shows 2 faults related with valves on Nanocom. I thought to buy a second hand unit but as the seller don't assume that is a free faults unit, I cancel the order.

If I delete the complete ACE system and replace it for the normal system with torsion bars, what will be the pros and cons?

Best regards,

Do it. The system will get less reliable as it gets older, and the handling of the non ACE Discovery is perfectly satisfactory - I used to have one. In fact having driven both, I never liked the ACE system, I thought it made the ride harder.

No real pro's or cons, it is just straight ARBs with no additional input from the ACE, still less leaning or rolling as you'd get in a vehicle not fitted with either.

Although a fully working sysytem is seen as a plus point if selling.

My Disco TD5 ACE shows 2 faults related with valves on Nanocom. I thought to buy a second hand unit but as the seller don't assume that is a free faults unit, I cancel the order.

If I delete the complete ACE system and replace it for the normal system with torsion bars, what will be the pros and cons?

Best regards,

I did this when I put the galv chassis on I uprated to gas shocks.........Didn't notice any difference and that is even driving at speed. The Disco handles excellently. Another thing that cannot go wrong in my book.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

If one was to remove the ACE pipes and either leave the valve block or uplug it and remove it altogether from the vehicle, what else should one do to disable the ACE as a supposedly malfunctioning system? How is it done best?

My car is in the service and the "mechanic" has managed to sever some of the pipes and then broke on off trying to get it out of the valve block. Consequently the ACE system will be inoperable until I manage to find someone who could do it and possibly find the right parts or just go for a substitution to a passive roll bar system.

I need to drive the car in the meanwhile though.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Hi, I just removed my whole ACE system as the rear flex pipes were leaking.

I have the pump, ACE valve block + front and rear anti-roll bars/rams for sale if you're interested. They all work fine, although the ARB's have been sat under my 53 plate Disco for 13yrs so show some signs of rust etc.

Let me know

Mat

• 3 weeks later...

Most important thing to do is to remove the pump and to fit an idler pulley in its place. The rest of the system will just sit there and not really give any problems but running the pump on the engine dry is a very bad idea.. it will leave you stranded with no water pump, power steering and charging system one day. 

It's preferable to remove everything and fit standard anti roll bars in place, and find someone with a nanocom who can tell the BCU that the car isn't fitted with ACE.