Grinding noise coming from transfer box.

Hi all.

I've just fitted new gear box to my 130 and taken it for a run and I'm getting a noise coming I think from the transfer box on overrun. (The best way a can describe the noise is as if you run a knife down the side of a bakedbean tin). I've had the 130 since Jan but haven't driven it more than a mile to and from the garage for mot, so don't really know if the noise was there before as the old gear box was very noisy as it had a tooth missing. It's louder the faster you go but doesn't seem to make it on acceleration just coasting or when let off the accelerator completely. Any help will be much appreciated. Chris.

Oh dear, I think that you have used the wrong length bolts on the two locations at front of the transfer box, (R380 to transfer box retaining bolts) from memory there are two, one just above the diff lock switch and one below the high/low selector assy, both of these are shorter than any of the other bolts. Use the longer ones in these locations and the end of the bolt will rub up against the main gear inside the transfer box.

Yes, 35mm at the front sounds about right, but did you look at the ends of the bolts to see if they were rubbing against the gears?

If not and if the grinding noise is coming from the transfer box you are going to have to drop it our again and see what is going on inside, it should be fairly obvious :o .

I've just done mine and fitted an Ashcroft ATB differential, new bearings, seals, shims etc, I'll look through my assembly notes to self for future reference and see if I can shed any light on what your problem might be.

Keep us posted.

Well there were no rubbing marks on the end of the bolts but a put some washer on there to bring them out a bit any way, made no difference. I've been driving it for the last few days and it's not getting any worse. A mate has suggested that there us a bronze bush that separates the gears in the transfer box and they can wear leading to the gears touching. I don't know if the box is original the motor has done 175k. The gearbox had one tooth missing so so it's had some pressure at some point. So now on the lookout for a transfer box.

There isn't a bronze bush that I'm aware of, certainly not in mine anyway. Try goggling with the High/Low selector lever to see if the grinding noise is being caused by the selector while being in High isn't impinging on the Low

It is possible if the wrong bolts have been used at some point that instead of rubbing on the gear they actually deform the internal bearing crush tube. The bolt holds the gear in position but when removed and replaced with correct - This allows the main gear to float around and cause a grinding noise. There is no evidence to be seen on the end of the bolt when withdrawn. I know this as I did it myself once.

Remove the rear pto plate and input gear and you can get your hand in and feel for play in the main gear.

Apart from the cost of the bearings the actual work isn't too hard and you can overhaul your own box quite easily. The biggest hurdle is getting the sucker out and back in again. Read my thread on how I installed my Ashcroft ATB to get some clues.

One thing I would look at if you have access to a good machine shop is putting a steel liner in the rear of the box for the intermediate gears shaft - the shaft tends to wear the case away and is a common oil leakage point.

Also, the bottom two bolts on the cover plate, put a dab of liquid pipe sealant on them, even with loctite these two little suckers always leak as they are tapped direct into the oil pan - all the rest are "blind".

I would second what Boydie says. They're a bugger to get out but actually pretty simple to work on. Sorted out my LT230 easily having never opened up a transfer box before.

On other possibility might be to take off the bottom plate as you can see most of the box itself.

Boydie There is a bush in the transfer it sits on the outside of the centre differential. Around the long end of it.

Its an IEE100050

TBF when mine expolded this bush was shagged along with the bearing. I'd get it out and take it apart. You can put them back together really easy all you need is a crush spacer or three if you want to fiddle about. Mine ran all the way to south africa after being very roughly rebuilt on my garage floor.

FRC7437

Copy that, IEE100050 is the high range gear bush, if this was really badly worn it could cause the high range gear to make a noise, FRC7437 is the crushable spacer that, when selected correctly pre-loads the intermediate gears two taper roller bearings - if it was selected undersized these two taper bearings would be noisy from assembly but in the worst instance the lateral movement of the intermediate gear cluster would only be in the vicinity of 0.20" so I don't really see a problem there.

the crush spacer is single size and the previous selectable size spacers are now obsolete really. i'd not use selective spacers in any box to be fair but i'm no expert. The crush spacer is just that it crushes and all you need do is fit it and tighten up the inter bolt until there is zero endfloat (movement) in the inter gears. just keep tightening until it stops floating. Simples.

if you are dropping the oil and take the lid off then try to move the inter gears and if they do you need to rip it apart. IIRC none of the gears float in any way or at least nothign you can feel. i rebuilt mine in South Africa on the floor twice as i was paranoid there was something worng. its easy to do even in a campsite ! There was nothing worng except i lost all my center diff thrust washers which i replaced with doubles as the diff was impossible to set up otherwise. plus my diff lock linkage was catching on the bolt on the top of the housing and it was driving me potty so i chamfered the bolt.

As for you noise, i'm at a loss. let us know please.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, . I've just been sold a defender 110 2001 td5 it seems to have a similar problem.  especially bad when using the gearbox to slow the vehicle down,  or climbing and not so noticeable in low.

Also when in gear and diff lock off there seems to be an awful lot of play in the front driveshaft, almost seems like it's in the front diff?  Can thus be possible. 

Not sure where to start really.  Im not a bad mechanic but i don't want to just  start tearing the thing apart.

What

happened in the end muddychris?

Edited by pantherslover
missing info

Does sound a little like that but not exactly.  Strange is in low its not as bad.  Third is about the worst.  Then if i change up into 4th 5 th the same i think it's propshaft speed related as the sound changes speed related to Road speed not gear.

I can try to take a recording and up load it.

The lay shaft still turns when fourth is engaged, it just has minimum torque on it as the main shaft gears are idling.  So, noises disappearing in 4th are typical of layshaft bearing faults,rather than something impinging on the shaft or its gears.