Grinding noise coming from transfer box.

Long nosed pliers may do the job, you need to get the clips out to give you enough material to strike on, otherwise you'll just keep glancing off.

A rough bodge to tighten in the clips...get some copper wire (solid core not multistrand) that'll fit though both eyes then twist both ends together with pliers until it shuts the gap. It's not ideal and really depends on how strong the clips are. I've seen it work....cable ties can work too but the small ones wouldn't be strong enough.

Rebuilding the LT230 without the LR special tools is doable...doing it with little to no tools isn't going to be easy 

The excessive use of silicon on the end of the shaft and over the entire shaft end is recomended. COVER the entire thing.

he O Ring is a pretty much standard size you can ge them almost anywhere but genuine are best. The below sizing is of another site.

Front O-ring FRC8292 is a 122 - 2.62 mm cord, 28.24 mm ID. The groove it rides in on the front of the intermediate shaft is 28.18 mm diameter.
Rear O-ring FRC7439 is a 120 - 2.62 mm cord, 25.07 mm ID. The groove is 24.97 mm diameter which obviously should match the ID of the o ring.

1 hour ago, pantherslover said:

Ok so i got the thing installed,  i didn't use any silicon. Just the o rings. Do i take the shaft out again and install it with silicon? I didn't see your post until now tweety.

no it will be fine it will just probably leak from the intershaft end. You can still cover the end if the box isn't fitted yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok people,  i have the transfer box elevated,  in its two ratchet strap slings more or less in line with the transmission.  I did all this alone using a plank,  some concrete building blocks and a long piece of timber through the front door windows to suspend the ratchet strap action.

Now i have to put the silicon on the face of the transmission and mate the faces. Secure the bolts and then mount the input gear and retaining plate and pto cover.

Any tips,  advice   ideas on what to do / not to do,  at this critical stage?

Well chuffed to have the tbox in position and about ready to mount.

i would get yourslf some long bolts to guide the box onto the shaft. Get some long coach bolts cut off the head and put a slot in them so they can be screwed into the three or four left side holes. This way and especially as you are on your own you will not damage the seal. M10 x 180 (or 200) will do.

LET ME CHECK THOUGH. BE RIGHT BACK>

2 or 3 M10 x 180mm will do. Confirmed.

cut of the bolt head. put a slot in the place where the bolt head was for a screwdriver. Screw them in in positions nearest the shaft to assist you guiding the box onto the shaft. Once fitted replace bolts with the correct ones. NOTE the positions of all bolts as the wrong bolt in the wrong place will lock the box up.

I took a tip from Les Henson....

Long M10 bolts (I think M10 anyways..Please check!) with the heads cut off, smoothed and grooved...

Ideal as guides for removal and fitting of transfer boxes (And R380 gearbox in this instance)

In place for removal....

P3100039.thumb.JPG.db1ab0d8c23e2b4c57a3514431cd2918.JPG

P3100048.thumb.JPG.4ba55c017f42919ca86573b8456f7982.JPG

And ready for the fitting of the new Auto gearbox....

P3120059.thumb.JPG.6f984cd58ff5381852678213edfe5511.JPG

When used in a similar fashion for the LT230, if helps to prevent damage to the input seal while installing. 

• 2 months later...
On 07/02/2018 at 5:46 PM, pantherslover said:

Sorry but cow herding and survivalist methods mean the timescale goes out of the window. Ashley

Fancy starting a thread? It would make interesting reading I would have thought. Maybe like the book "Driving over lemons" by Chris Stewart 

Now if you knew more about me and where I am, what you have written would shock you. Suffice to say that on certain parts of my land I can see his place, el Valero.

I finally got the transfer case on, the input gear in and the pto cover on. Was much easier than I expected, all of it.

Let's say that I like to be in the right frame of mind to do these things.

More updates to follow. Thanks everyone.

That Chris Stewart drives a white colored discovery. He wears a hat and likes to get chummy with the likes of Virginia Woolfs grandaughter. He's got a very green bit of land tucked away at the end of the river bed down below.

Other than that i couldn't tell you much more. He gets his feed at the same place as me.

The book is a great read but it sounds as though he had a very hard time in the early days there. I'm sure you ride a rollercoaster too farming there and that's without transfer box problems on your Land Rover. Very glad to hear that it's almost ready to run again.