disco 1 v8 ignition key conversion to push button start.

duc900sss

Hi guys i really need help with my 97 disco v8 .my key broke and i desperately need a wiring diagram of any sort to install a push button start as i am way out bush of perth WA , and only hav some switches. theres a yellow ,a white ,and white red wire to fuse box and brown and green white wire to engine bay.any help ASAP would be great. thanks in advance to all.

If memory serves me right:

Brown is perm live

white is ign live but not while cranking

yellow is ign live and live while cranking

green/white is accessory live

white/red is live feed to starter solenoid.

With all that in mind and considering all you want is a temporary repair with some standard switches, i would connect the white, yellow and green/white together onto one side of a switch, and the brown on the other side.

Then with a momentary switch, join the brown and white/red.

Yes as the above comments to replace the standard ignition key lock you will need two switches.

A toggle On/Off switch for the ignition to run the electric fuel pump, ignition coils etc. and those electric circuits that are activated by the key position just before cranking and

A push button to supply power to the starter solenoid. (The supply for this comes off the toggle switch)

You cannot do it with a push button switch alone.

I've just spent 20 minutes and getting a headache from the LR wiring diagrams because you need to look at about 6 chapters just to understand how the key ignition switch operates but as Dave said:-

Brown (permanent live) into the input connection of the On/Off toggle switch

White : Green/White trace : Yellow Connect these three wires to output connection of the Toggle switch.

Bridge the Yellow from the toggle switch to the input connection of the Push Button. Connect the Red/White trace wire to the output connection of the Push Button.

To start, flick the toggle switch to ON, press the Push Button.

Or more simple you can release the electric switch from the barrel addapt it somehow to the binnacle and turn it with a short flat screwdriver to crank then back one step to keep the engine running and back to 0 to stop if you see what i mean... you can improvise a kinda plastic ''handle'' to attach to it then you can turn it by hand through all it's positions as you wish

You're right, my bad, sorry - White /Red -- mind you those LR electrical wiring diagrams would confuse Einstein which is another reason why I tore all the standard wiring harnesses out and totally rewired my Disco without the myriad of wires for factory fitted options that my car didn't have and that I would never want anyway - as well as doing away with the Spider, MFU and other electronic devices that I could never hope to repair in the bush should they fail at an inconvenient time - such as crossing a deep creek !