Disco rear axle hubs

Boydie

Has anyone drilled and tapped and put a grease nipple into these hubs?

I'm looking at the official Land Rover service manual, section 51, page 1 at the sectional drawing showing the rear wheel hub, (item 4) and the disc (item 10) and I can see no reason why a grease nipple cannot be tapped and fitted into the hub to permit easy greasing of the two hub bearings without having to remove the halfshafts and inner bearing in order to do so.

Has anyone done this ?

Can't see any reason why you couldn't do it, but I'd be a bit sceptical as to the actual effectiveness of such action. I must go into my wheel bearings every couple of years usually for brake maintenance, I'll scrape the old grease out and pack new in and box it up. I've never seen the need to top it up... something else to think about is the venting of the old grease where's it going to pop out... your either going to push it into your axle case or its going to pop out behind the hub and make a god awful mess....

Points noted and I will ponder on my next course of action, incidentally I only use Lithium based high temp bearing Grease - very similar to that used on the front CV joints, as you know this turns to a liquid when "working" and goes back to a semi-solid when idle, I prefer to use it as even as a thick liquid it gives far better lubrication to the bearings than conventional bearing grease.

Why not do as I did Iain and rip out the seal in the axle and let the diff oil circulate through the bearings, I did that on all four corners, much prefer oil lubed wheel bearings, at the most they just need nipped up once in a while, I changed the greased bearings as often as I'd adjust a set of oil lubed bearings.

Key advantages being that oil, cleans, cools and lubricates, grease lubricates to a point, but once its migrated off, bearings rapidly wear out.

The early RRC rear wheel bearings are wet and its just ep90 diff oil. Its very simple and works very well, thats how my back axle is and its been kicking around since the late seventies.

Taking the oil seals out of a later axle effectively does the same thing and in my view is a sensible improvement, the only downside is that the hub seals and lands have to be in tip top condition ... but they should be anyway.

LR themselves think its a good setup as the seal fails after a time and does the modification for you :-)

HTH

Straight 80/90W hypoid gear oil.

Rear drive shaft flanges benefit from a gasket over RTV I've found, front drive members on mine got swapped out for Bearmach HD ones with screw on cap with a few turns ptfe to seal, but was told that a felt pad and a dollop of Vaseline inside the plastic cap is cheaper and retains the factory engineered "shear point" as in splines of DM should wring off before serious damage occurs