IRD blanking plate

frankmacc

Have 55 plate td4, 5dr. Reading horror stories of diff damage if vcu not replaced. 60 000 miles now. Dont think any probs yet although bit of a background whine similar to bad bearing noise. Had it checked out,bearings seem fine. Goodrich ko tyres could cause whine. Wonder if anyone has taken 2wd option using plate. 4wd not essential although occasionally useful. Thinking plate could save future probs. Wonder about long term use after fitting this plate. Any experience, advice? Cheers.

What Garry said.

Running 2WD is fine although it'll shorten the life of your lower engine mount (reaction bar) and it'll spin the front wheels a lot easier when pulling away (perhaps a bit obvious really!). A recon VCU is only about £250, which is a small amount divided over the 60-100k miles that they last. I've run many thousands of miles in 2WD and I much prefer how it drives in 4WD even if it does cost me a little more money.

The whine may well be the VCU support bearings, well worth replacing them at the same time as the VCU, and I'd say always use Genuine ones even if they are £££, the non-gen have never lasted for me.

• 1 month later...

What Garry said.

Running 2WD is fine although it'll shorten the life of your lower engine mount (reaction bar) and it'll spin the front wheels a lot easier when pulling away (perhaps a bit obvious really!). A recon VCU is only about £250, which is a small amount divided over the 60-100k miles that they last. I've run many thousands of miles in 2WD and I much prefer how it drives in 4WD even if it does cost me a little more money.

The whine may well be the VCU support bearings, well worth replacing them at the same time as the VCU, and I'd say always use Genuine ones even if they are £££, the non-gen have never lasted for me.

lot of horror stories about vcu and its quite simple. look after ya tyres, check the tyres weekly for pressure and condition, only replace in axle pairs and get look out for any tight feel on full lock and reverse, you should know how it feels anyway any variation check vcu checked if its over 70k ,,change it with the outer bearings. ..its simple maintenance