Winter - What would YOU do?

If you were really lucky - and had a 'spare' defender - 110 just to drive to work and back - and its winter, and you are not going to off-road this one (because you have another 110 so in fact you would like to keep this one On-Road) What Winter Tyres would you fit (and is there anything else you think would be worth fitting?

Tyre type depends on when you plan to drive on the snow...

I've always made a point of setting a stupidly early alarm, on days when there's been a decent covering forecast, and hit the back lanes. Nice, deep fresh snow and mud terrains get on well.

Once it's been thoroughly squashed and polished, by countless cars with regular tyres, you're much better off with dedicated winter/snow tyres. The multitude of sipes grip significantly better, because it's the edges of each that offer purchase on the compacted snow.

If you were really lucky - and had a 'spare' defender - 110 just to drive to work and back - and its winter, and you are not going to off-road this one (because you have another 110 so in fact you would like to keep this one On-Road) What Winter Tyres would you fit (and is there anything else you think would be worth fitting?

BFG all terrains, and big coat, woolly hat and gloves!

Already got it (does that make me really really really lucky?).

BFG AT's, best tyre I have ever used in the snow.

Heated screen & mirrors naturally, been using them for over 10-years now and can't imagine being without them (never seen the point of heated seats though).

Standard cooling system & heater that work correctly, no need for "upgrades" or removing fans, blanking off the rad etc when the heater chucks out heat at engine temperature.

Fume curtain, keeps all that heat in the cab area (no need to heat the rear of the vehicle with no-one in it).

Already got it (does that make me really really really lucky?).

BFG AT's, best tyre I have ever used in the snow.

Heated screen & mirrors naturally, been using them for over 10-years now and can't imagine being without them (never seen the point of heated seats though).

Standard cooling system & heater that work correctly, no need for "upgrades" or removing fans, blanking off the rad etc when the heater chucks out heat at engine temperature.

Fume curtain, keeps all that heat in the cab area (no need to heat the rear of the vehicle with no-one in it).

Sensible advice.

In defender sizes you will have a job finding a true winter tyre dont think even Nokian or Vredestein or even continental do 265/75 x16 or above !

this is the only one I could find

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/kumho/winter-portran-cw51/235/85/R16/R/120/m?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d235%26profile%3d85%26rim%3dR16%26speed%3dAny&tyre=33881222

Wife's hair dryer/small heater on an extension lead half hour before I'm due to leave for work (not recommending this for obvious 'ealth n safety reasons :P

On the basis we see very little real snow in the south and having spun 360 degrees down a hill on ice on mud terrain tyres, I was considering another set of winter tyres. I was looking at Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 tyres, which are a soft compound winter tyre (without studs) https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt2/

I don't know if anyone has any feedback on these?

I drove up through Norway on geo lander pattern remoulds no problem with grip till I wanted to stop quickly. The rest of my group were on km1's which were better all round but not quite as good under power. For the temperatures we saw the standard heater couldn't cope we all had eberspachers (especially good if parked up or first thing) I had a heated screen worth every penny till a lorry smashed it with a stone for me (must get two for our current trucks).

Mike

Living here in Sweden where we get plenty of snow and too much black ice we run on the Disco Cooper Discoverer M+S LT with studs. I have BFG Track Edge with studs on the Hybrid. If I was to pick a tire without studs, I would take all day the Coopers. Excellent tire! I have a small hand towel in both trucks to clear the side windows.

Cooper Discoverer M+S LT Cooper Discoverer M+S LT Cooper Discoverer M+S LT

[1] Really-narrow-section tyres [to cut through the surface snow to the road below], preferably with studs. When it snows it's always amusing to see those with fat, low-profile tyres floundering when people with narrower tyres get through. 6.00x16 on old Series rims!

[2] A 3kw fan-heater in the footwell, an extension-lead and a timeswitch set to fire 2 hours before I need to drive. That way the inside of the Defender's nice-and-toasty and the snow/ice has been loosened from the windows by the time I climb aboard.

[3] A fully-charged walkie-talkie on the Farmwatch VHF repeater (or 2-metre-band amateur radio 50-Watt VHF transceiver if you're licensed) so I can find out which roads are passable (and where there might be a tree down so I can go out with the chainsaw to score some free logs!)

[4] A chainsaw. Snow brings down trees!

[5] List of phone-numbers for the highways-department, and the local electricity-utility company. More than once I've been 'unable to make progress' because there's 11/33Kv high-voltage cables down across the road.