Traction control/ ABS FAULT DISCO 2

jack54turbo

Hi all, hope your having a cracking Sunday ?

Recently got a high mileage disco 2 as a tow vehicle. Slowly working my way through all the things that don't work lol

The main issue I'm a bit stumped with is this:

The abs/traction control and hill decent are all not working.

The large square (not the spade) fuse under the bonnet 30amp marked on the list as "SM" was blown, so I swapped it from the spare (I had a spare one from what used to be the air sus but it's been removed)

Now the abs works..... But no light comes up on the dash and the TC and HD are still not working.

Do the discos use the and sensor for the TC?

Very grateful for Any advice guys and gals ?

Jack

Hi, it seems that the previous owner was schmuck enough to blank the warning ligts then... can you see the ABS, TC and HDC amber warnings(3 amigos) on ignition self test? ... if not remove the instrument pack and see if it's black tape on the display to hide them or not cos you should have the 3 amigos on ... then find somebody with a proper tester and read the fault codes stored in the ABS ECU... then you'll know what to do

I had a feeling this would be the case :/

The body roll dubery has been disconnected along with the air suspension and a 15p td5 fitted (triggers broom!)

I'll start with checking the led's, I have plugged it in and got a speed sensor code which I've cleared and will re check

• 4 years later...
On 11/8/2015 at 4:20 AM, jack54turbo said:

Hi all, hope your having a cracking Sunday ?

Recently got a high mileage disco 2 as a tow vehicle. Slowly working my way through all the things that don't work lol

The main issue I'm a bit stumped with is this:

The abs/traction control and hill decent are all not working.

The large square (not the spade) fuse under the bonnet 30amp marked on the list as "SM" was blown, so I swapped it from the spare (I had a spare one from what used to be the air sus but it's been removed)

Now the abs works..... But no light comes up on the dash and the TC and HD are still not working.

Do the discos use the and sensor for the TC?

Very grateful for Any advice guys and gals ?

Jack

We’re you ever able to get to the bottom of this?  I have the same issue.  

2000 Disco 2.

Have replaced the dash.  No tape or broken leds.  

In the 2nd position ignition test I get no abs or traction control lights.   
There is an amber hdc light top left.  However no hdc warning light below on the bottom.

Using the iLAND diagnostic app I was able to confirm that each wheel is registering speed and that abs is working on each wheel.  

Very curious what you discovered.

Is that iLand app smart enough to run circuit tests for the warning lamps in the BCU with it ?  if yes force on the warnings wit the app to see wha happens though only nanocom can disable or enable warning lamps so if they were disabled with nanocom your app is useless 

On 1/30/2020 at 2:04 AM, sierrafery said:

Is that iLand app smart enough to run circuit tests for the warning lamps in the BCU with it ?  if yes force on the warnings wit the app to see wha happens though only nanocom can disable or enable warning lamps so if they were disabled with nanocom your app is useless 

Many thanks for the response and advice.  The iLand app is smart enough to force warning lights on.  All of them worked except for ABS, TC and the Hill decent warning in the bottom left. 

Another key detail that I neglected to mention is that none of these systems seem to work at all.  Wheel spin over obstacles, and abs does not kick during hard braking.  

The iLand is reading codes related to shuttle valve, and pump relay open circuit.  I replaced the shuttle valve with a new one, cleared the code and it has returned.  

Hoping to find someone in Los Angeles with a Nanocom to see if I can get closer to the answer before digging in. 

9 hours ago, sierrafery said:

It seems that the warning lamps are disabled or blanked with tape as to hide the 3 amigos. The systems will not work as long as those faults are current, both faults are modulator related so it might be a crack in it's internal circuit ... see attachment to check earth points

SVS.pdf 245.29 kB · 0 downloads

It seems some genius must have disabled them.  Thank you for your time, advice and pdf.