Series 3 diesel 200tdi conversion startup problem after battery change

DLR1982

Starting to get cold and knew I had a weak battery so decided to get a new one and put it in, turned the key, cold start lamp came on and went away and the truck fired right up - feeling good about my new reliable battery I go inside to come out the next morning.....

Key in ignition, the yellow cold start comes on and then flickers (almost like something got fried) and then nothing... Won't turn over at all.

All lights work, gauges, etc. But the engine......silence....

I've checked the terminals they look good, shortened one on new fresh copper. Did the start engine fry? A fuse?

Any thoughts is greatly appreciated.

I'm alone and this is my only car - food supplies will last apx 3 more days :-)

Thanks for the replies.

Such an amazing community. The battery is brand spanking new and tested it w volt meter and its strong. Will go through and check starter wiring but it all looks good. My fear is that I fried the starter, when the I turned the key that time after the flickering of the glow light didn't feel right at all. Any other thoughts is greatly appreciated. Looked the engine no up and its a 200tdi from 12L which is from a Series 1 Discovery (1989-1994). Thanks for thoughts, need to get this thing started in a day or two. Supplies are running low...

check your starter to battery connection at the starter . With a live from the battery to the stop solenoid on the IP and a brief live to the white/red trace to the starter it should turn over and start . After that its a question of tracing to the loose connection

cheers

Steveb

Its freaky I had exactly the same issue last week, after changing the ignition switch and starter I realised it wasn't any of those but the braided earth cable at fault. The way to check is use a jump lead connected on the starter back to the neg terminal on the battery. If it starts - it's an earth issue and easiest to replace. Keep us updated.

How did you wire up the heater plug switching? Straight through the ignition switch or with a relay? If you didn't use a relay, you'll have fried the ignition switch.

Good point. The 2.25 diesel heater plugs are in series IIRC. The TDi is in parallel. Pretty sure the current for the TDi glow plugs is much greater than the 2.25.

I never bothered to wire mine up when I did my conversion actually.

Thanks for the replies. Gonna go out tomorrow (weather report says sunny) and I hope I can get it started. Down on food right now. I should attach a picture as to where I am (cabin on a mountain top pretty much) but I'm a new member and don't qualify just yet to post those. Any way.

So gonna trace the ground wire and do the suggested test see how that goes.

I never changed battery before in this truck and cant determine if there is a relay or not to the ignition switch, if I have fried it I have the get a new one correct? Anyone know how much the run roughly?

I'm so amazed to have found this forum and to know I'm not alone. Thanks everyone.

Hi! Thanks again for all thoughts.

So I'm up on the NY Canadian border and today its -10C° so not to bad yet.

Sorry for the slow update but phones and internet has been out after a storm, BUT the River now starts better and stronger than ever. Started tracing the ground wire, re-crimped, sawdered, and then started w the plus pool from the battery to the starter and when I got to the starter and the 5 different connectors on the plus thread the nut bolting them down was loose so I just cleaned and sanded (600 grit or something) the connectors, tightened the bult down and put some lithium grease on it and boom I was done - then drove the 20miles each way and got some food, beer and a bottle of Laphroaig Scotch and is now back at the dwelling. Thank you all for good advise etc. I need 2 more approved posts then I can post some pics ;) in and there was a relay BTW starter and ignition. Next up is getting the heater working cause I drove the other night and without a thermal suit it would have been very cold, my dog was medium happy in the back. Til next time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit late on this, but why do you need the glow plugs on a 200 tdi? I've never connected them and never needed them through 3 winters. I will admit to a can of easystart in the cab, but never needed that either.

There about as much use on a 200 tdi as a radiator fan. I haven't got one of those either.

glad you got sorted out . How cold does it get mid -winter ?

Easy Start ......the most mis-labelled can in the world . It's a really good way of killing a diesel engine , there are a myriad of other ways to get it going from a flaming rag on the end of the wheelbrace held over the air intake while cranking to a gas torch or hot air gun / hair dryer . Hot air in the intake is the key - that's assuming every thing else is good to go

cheers

Steveb

On that note, what about stuffing a little butane up the inlet?

I've used this to get petrol engines to go at times, would it harm a diesel in the same way as easy start?

Yes! Easy start/propane etc (or for the Aussies - 'start ya person I'm not that keen on') is only suitable for use in a petrol engine. Into a diesel intake will cause horrendous knocking - and if starting from cold then it's before you've even got oil in the bearings. If you've got nothing else, then sure - but if you're going to carry something then take a blowtorch.

I've found a propane torch on the inlet manifold makes starting a reluctant diesel in very cold conditions much easier.

Used to start my old works MK with a small newspaper fire , never failed. I used to wait till my mate had half finished his crossword puzzle :-)

Easy start in tiny quantities is handy as a diagnostic tool though ( I use brake cleaner )

I had a Daihatsu that needed a bit of heater to get it to start and the heater on that was a wire element in the inlet manifold, it drew about 30A so unless the battery was tip top you got maybe one go at starting it. That one would fire if the aluminium casting was warmed with a gas torch so only needed the air temp raised a few degrees.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Been following posts related to the 200TD 12L engine, of interest were some comments about NOT using , or in some cases, disconnecting the glow plugs.

Given that we have a lot milder climate than a lot of you blokes, haven't bothered hooking mine up as yet. Engine is just about ready to start after laying up for about 3 years, so testing time. Replaced fuel filter, drained stale fuel, system primed on new fuel, solenoid is clicking in OK.

Also of interest was that quite a few also don't bother with the fluid coupling fan. Got a 16" electric fan I can install when I get the radiator in situ (using the std Discovery radiator at the moment, just to see how it goes).

Borrowed a battery off a mate out of his tractor just in case we have a bit of cranking to do, but don't expect too many problems.

General consensus seems to be that they (12L) are quite a good little powerplant. Unknown KM's on engine, somewhere around 250K, so probably should do the timing belt change soon. Will run the engine for a bit then change out the oil and filter. More I look around the engine, the more impressed I am with it. As it is only going to be a "weekend warrior" and unlikely to get off the tarred road, hopefully see me out.

One question on engine mounts though, been told by a couple of blokes that I may have gone a bit overboard with them. Has the original 1992 Discovery mounts at the front, because I'm running a Dodge NP445 box behind it, has the transverse rubber mount on the tailhouse extension at the back, but also has the mid-mounted bellhousing 'donut' mounts as well. Been told that it may be too rigid, if so, can simply take the mid-mount bolts out of the brackets, leaving just the front and rear in place.

Dave64