Fuel Tank mounting, 109, order of parts

ejparrott

So my new fuel tank is almost complete for The 109, time to turn to mountings. I know the rubbers that are in are very bad so I've ordered new. I also know that the fixings ain't quite what she left the factory with! I've got the full set of part numbers in front of me, but the parts diagram is a little unhelpful to say the least - Page 1O 02 if you want a look.

What is the correct order for the fittings?

For the rear, I think it's bolt from the top, with a normal washer and a square washer,through the chassis, then the spacer goes on with a rubber around it, then the fuel tank sits with the spacer passing through it, then another rubber on the bottom, then two 'filler piece' and finally a nuit, assuming the nut is done up tight against the spacer leaving a bit of squish in the rubbers but still leaving some flex?

For the front, I think it's bolt and large washer, through the chassis bracket, rubber and spacer tube, again, tank over the tube, rubber washer and nut, again, tight up on the tube but leaving flex in the rubbers?

I'm going to change for M10 bolts anyway, and I think I'll probably weld the square washer to the bolt where is sits in the chassis - getting the tank on and off last time wasn't easy and I see no reason not to do this.

Nobody knows?

Bushes turned up yesterday. The rears are just flat slabs of rubber, the fronts are like miniature radius arm bushes with a lip which I'm assuming is designed to locate in the tank mounting. Still waiting on the spacer tubes then we might have a slightly better idea.

when i done my 109 fuel tank ejparrott the one on the rear cross member i used a inch thick piece of rubber with three bolt holding it on and the middle ones 10mm exhaust cotton wheels but with the bolt going through the middle

Right:

NO guarantees on this -as it looks carp

Bolt in from top through cross member, rubber spacer, tank, rubber spacer, (possibly small chunky rectangular washer), round repair washer, two chunky square washers, nut.

G.

Whole thing depends on 2 small nuts.

Can't be right.

Sounds nearly right, I think there's a steel tube running inside the rubber washers, but please don't take one apart to look for me!

I think you're missing a square washer on top of the cross-member, and I think there should only be one chunky washer at the bottom. I've seen it listed somewhere as a spacer and something to do with the rear step - can't quite understand that one!

I've ordered the two steel spaces tubes from LR Direct, the second one's already been returned as no stock and I suspect the first will be too. Annoyingly again, I think I saw on one of the sites that the first was NLA so use the second instead!

I was being lazy, hoping someone else would supply chapter and verse, but having done the research, on the back of making this change myself (triple rear bolt to single cushioned rear bolt), but on a 2A, I see no answer I am totally happy with. Sorry folks :-)

Firstly, there is a single error on all the 2A parts lists, and an additional error in the S3 parts list.

While I had used 2A parts list I see from your page number you are looking at an S3 list.

The common error is that all the lists show the lipped washer to be square, when actually it's oblong. Being oblong both explains its purpose and where it comes in the order of assembly.

The additional S3 error is a part number, a pretty serious error, considering the whole purpose of a parts list is to provide correct numbers for the parts.

Oh, while I am picking up on mistakes, there are NO spacer tubes anywhere, and NO rubber washers in the front mount in assembly, this is an all-steel affair.

This exercise has made me realise that the underlying crude philosophy of a hammer and cold chisel being the main parts of a LR tool kit also applies to the paperwork. (I have just found a mistake in the steering geometry instructions in the late S2A and S3 manuals, so that has gone uncorrected for about 45 years).

I am going to make heavy use of online pictures. No apologies, that's how it is.

First we have the special bolt 543803. This has a dual diameter, the head is 3/4" AF, the plain shank is 7/16"D and 3/4" long, followed by a threaded section 5/16" UNF, also 3/4" long.

Fuel tank special fixing bolt, shouldered for rear 109" models fuel tank to chassis retention.

543803-FUEL-TANK-FIXING-BOLT.jpg

Next, the part number the S3 list got wrong, the 7/16" ID plain washer that fits under the head

Correct Part number WB116101L

WB116101L-WASHER.jpg

Next the first of the rubber bushes part 90508545 'Fuel tank to chassis mounting rubber bush'.

90508545-FUEL-TANK-MOUNTING-RUBBER-BUSH.

This goes, lip down, onto the outrigger flange.

Underneath the flange is the next bush, probably lip down again, to locate in the hole in the fuel tank flange.

Next is the flange of the fuel tank.

Next is the killer move, the lipped oblong washer 543808, whose purpose is to spread the load along the flange, which is weakened by the mounting hole for the bolt. You will see that this washer has a 5/16" hole, so butts up against the edge of the 7/16" section of the bolt 543803. This prevents the rubber bushes being crushed to death by heavy spanner work.

15487-543808-plate-rear-fuel-tank-fixing

Next is the 5/16" spring washer WM600051L

WM600051L-SPRING-WASHER-5-16.jpg

Finally secured by the 5/16" UNF plain nut NH605041L

NH605041L-NUT-5-16-UNF-HEX.jpg

That concludes the rear mounting,

the stepped bolt preventing the bushes from being over compressed during assembly,

the fuel tank being stopped from rubbing against the outrigger by one of the bushes,

the lipped washer providing the essential additional support for the fuel tank flange, which would otherwise probably distort and drop over the 5/16" spring washer and nut.

The front mountings are simple, in comparison. Repeat 3 times

A Hex head screw, 5/16 UNF x 3/4", part SH605061L

SH605061L-SCREW-HEX-HEAD-5-16-UNF-X-3-4.

A WASHER FLAT PLAIN 5/16 (8mm) ID 19mm OD part 3830L

3830L-WASHER-FLAT-PLAIN-5-16-8mm-ID-19mm

The outrigger flange.

The fuel tank flange.

Another WASHER FLAT PLAIN 5/16 (8mm) ID 19mm OD part 3830L

Next is the 5/16" spring washer WM600051L

WM600051L-SPRING-WASHER-5-16.jpg

Finally secured by the 5/16" UNF plain nut NH605041L

NH605041L-NUT-5-16-UNF-HEX.jpg

HTH

PS.

This isn't how I did my assembly, so I've learnt from the exercise.

That's significantly different from what's in the SIII parts catalogue! There are definitely 2 sets of rubber bushes shown, and two different sets of steel spacer tubes. I can't link the single page from James' online parts cat pdf so it'll have to wait until I get home from work

That's significantly different from what's in the SIII parts catalogue! There are definitely 2 sets of rubber bushes shown, and two different sets of steel spacer tubes. I can't link the single page from James' online parts cat pdf so it'll have to wait until I get home from work

the parts diagram is a little unhelpful to say the least - Page 1O 02 if you want a look.

This is page 10 02 from the S3 catalogue on the LHP 22 Technical CD.

S3%20Fuel%20tank%20parts.gif

I'm not familiar with 'James' online parts cat pdf', so I shall wait to see what it shows.

So, I ordered one of the steel tubes from Craddocks a week ago or more....following day i got an email to say NLA, will refund your card.

Yesterday a courier turned up with an £11.54 piece of scrap....from Craddocks!!!

003_1.jpg

This is supposed to be 500446 - Spacer tube for rear tank mounting...what it actually is is a piece of steel tube that someone's hacksawed off, wacked on the grinder, not bothered to deburr the inside of, and sold for £4.54! If they have refunded my card, I'll chuck it in the bin, if they haven't, they're going to get an earful! It's absolute s**t, the only useful thing it's told me is that it's 1/2" diameter tube. i only ordered one because as a turner anyway I can make as many as I need, but I was hoping for something of better quality that would tell me what the length is supposed to be to give the right amount of compression on the bushes!

I *think* my original assessment was correct - for the front mountings at least. We dropped the old tank this morning (no indication of where it's leaking from but I'll deal with that another day - when it's warmer!), The lip on the rubber bushes does indeed fit nicely in the mounting angle, and when you slide the steel tube through it's shorter than the assembled length of 2 bushes and the mounting, which would give it a little compression. Haven't looked at the rear yet, the rubbers were on top of the cross-member......