Head gasket oil leak?

Nigelw

Not vehicular specific so dropped it in here.

I seem to have a new oil leak (since last dipped the oil on Sunday!) It's coming from the head gasket joint on the old 200Tdi, for sure it's not the rocker cover gasket and half moons as they have been done and appear to be dry.

Can it be leaking from the HG?

Any advice apart from pop the head off and new HG?

It looks like it comes from the front under the thermostat housing dribbling onto timi g chest and also closer inspection shows it doing same at the back just above starter.

I plan to have the Tchest off after the road book on 22nd as I want to do the belt and replace that leaking gasket on the water gallery that runs to the pump from the block. Taking the head off and doing a HG is a couple hours but the timing chest took me a day and a half last time :o. Really not a fun job :(

Sounds like yours is the same as mine. I can't build the enthusiasm to take the front off last time (cracked idler mounting) it took all day as you say. I'll keep you posted as to where I get to with mine but I'm in no hurry to sort it I've got enough on my plate at the moment.

Mike

I just ordered a new 3 hole composite gasket and decided that it's the lesser of two evils?

I am waiting on the timing chest until I have two full free days as I would rather not fluff it up, ancilliaries off and coolant drain on first day, prep my bits of card for the bolts, next day pull it apart and put it all back again in one go without forgetting any bolts to tighten this time :(

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst pottering tonight I had the engine running and was watching around the HG and at the front edge beneath the thermostat housing I could actually see bubbling :o

God knows what this might mean?

Question is now, do the HG and hope for the best, get head off to be skimmed and do it right?

The HG was done not so many thousands of Kilometers ago as attested by the sparkly head when we bought it, the rest of the engine looked pretty much like it'd done 300,000+kms.

Oh well.....

Voice of experience there so it will be off to the garage in next 2/3 weeks for the head to come off and go away and I will do the timing chest while I wait :(

Oh deep joy, at least it is a fun thing to drive when I'm not spannering on it lol :)