Centre dash illumination not working

Hi all. I am a new member asking for a little help. I have a 2009 Defender 90, 2.4 TDCI hard top, which is my 4th Land Rover, and acquired a few weeks ago. I have noticed that none of the centre console/dash lights work when the lights are turned on. This includes everything in the centre, the clock, heater controls and all of the individual switches such as heated seats, windows, heated front and rear screen etc. I thought there might be a common feed to them all, but no wire with the same colours is present across all devices on the wiring loom ( too easy I gues!). There seems to be a good earth to each, as the individual switches each have the little orange light come on when in operation. The illumination works for the speedo pod and rev counter etc on the dash above the steering wheel, which I thought ( probably wrongly!) would use the same fuse. My local dealer said it could be a break in the wire, a fuse gone, or a surge has blown all the bulbs. All the obvious really! They were unable to supply a wiring diagram of any description. Has anyone else ever had this, and has anyone any clues that could help me. Also is there such a thing as a manual containing wiring diagrams available ? I would be grateful for any information. Thanks.

Thanks Hapyoldgit. Already had the dash out, and have found the bulbs that light up the heater controls in the centre, and changed them out to no avail. Also, each individual switch should light up (there is a separate plug on the wiring loom for each switch, and a separate bulb for each one) and the cigarette lighter socket, and none of them light up. I have tested to Earth the cigarette light light feed, and there is no power to it when the side lights are turned on, with or without the ignition switch being on. The speedo pod illumination is fed via the left hand side light circuit fuse and works fine, so I would have thought that these would be off the same one, or at least the right hand side light circuit fuse. There must be a common point where all these indivivdual wires come back to. I have removed and tested every fuse in the fuse box below the steering column, and all are working fine. Really drawing a blank here without a wiring diagram to see where the common feed point to them all is. Help still required from anyone please!

Thank you very much once again for your help. I have downloaded all the manuals, and in the light of no actual line wiring diagrams in them, am starting to go through all of the connectors for each switch and component in the centre dash to see if there is a common joint or location that is common to them all specified in the destination description. May be I can trace something that way. If only wiring diagrams still existed like the ones for the 300 TDI models that I had previously. You could actually follow a circuit through from start to finish and fault find easily. Those were the days!

Anyway, thanks for your help once again, and if anyone comes up with any ideas, I am still open to suggestions.

Never worked on a tdci loom but I imagine it'll be a workaround on the td5 to fit the later dash, red/or seems to be LR colour of choice for illumination so I'd be looking to find the header joint with a load of them plugged in...hopefully you'll have a pulled or pinched wire

Here are the wiring diagrams for the dash illumination on a 2007MY Defender -

2007MY%20Dash%20Illumination%2001.jpg

2007MY%20Dash%20Illumination%2002.jpg

The feed comes from the main lighting switch, via F20 to circuit headers C0290, and C0288

The circuit headers can be found in these locations -

2007MY%20Dash%20Headers%20-%20RH.jpg

2007MY%20Dash%20Headers%20-%20Centre.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all members for your help and advice. I am pleased to say that the problem is now resolved. A dodgy connection and a blown fuse being the culprits. The fuse was the third up from the bottom in the middle row of the fuse box under the steering column, one above the left and right hand side marker light and main dash board fuses, and looked perfectly OK until actually testing it, where it proved to be blown. It was a case of everything out, and tracing all of the red/orange wires through an extremely tight loom from switch to switch until a common point was found. There was also 2 small bulbs out in the main heater bank control panel, but they were straight forward cap less push in bulbs, of which I already had spares. All of your help, diagrams and advice was invaluable, so thank you all once again. I hope I may be of some help to someone in return in the future.