New to forum

Hi people. As my user name would suggest I'm a Brit living in Italy in a region called Abruzzo. Tomorrow I'm off to look at a 1992 Defender 90 diesel which has 200,000 kms on the clock, was owned by a now deceased old chap who never off-roaded it and is probably mine for Euro 2,000 that's about £1,400. I'm banking on it needing a new battery and four tyres and a good deal of tlc but what are the major expensive to fix faults I should be looking for please? Ciao.

I assume this is a 200tdi with the LT77 box, do you have access to the service history as there was an issue at that time with the transfer gear in the transfer box not being cross drilled and therefor causing wear on the splines . This is easy to remedy on the transfer box but the gearbox needed to have the mainshaft replaced after about 100K to 150K miles if the original gear had not been changed.

Also check the history to ensure the timing belt has been changed as appropriate.

Good luck

Thanks both for that info. Nuts and bolts I (generally) like but rust not, so I will be prodding about at the chassis very carefully. Bearing in mind that this is very rural farming country here, one of the reasons I need a Landy, a service history may be unavailable but the cam belt was already on my mental to do list. Will post some pictures if I get it but at this price it's going to have to be a hell of a heap not to go with it.

Well I've just been to see it....as I expected it's a shed inside but crawling around underneath and prodding at the chassis revealed no worries. It's very solid. Panel gap lines are good, it's not distorted in any way. Wheels seem to be pointing the right way. There was however on both sides at the front a significant oil deposit around the large outer axle ball joints which, forgive my ignorance on this, were also visible. Do these not have a boot to cover them? There are also lots of other smaller oil leaks but hell the things 23 years old. I didn't get to drive it but I'm going back tonight with some friends and jump leads.

You are referring to the steering swivels. These are supposed to be lubricated when the wheels are turned, through the movement of the chrome ball through the seal and into the swivel housing. The housing is filled with axle oil or sometimes a grease (this is often done after overhaul).

The seal is located behind the large ring that the chrome moves past and it is often a fail point but in itself isn't a big job to fix. I think that the grease is added sometimes, as it is more forgiving than oil (where leaky seals are involved) and can delay the seal replacement.

In good old Blighty if the chrome has been left exposed without being lubricated then it rusts, then gets pitted and that's the leak path. Repair is (in my experience on an 88") quite successful using metal paste (like Devcon) but to do that it's better to remove the ball (and then the task gets bigger).

The boot is a gaiter which is an option.

No boots on the swivels but by the sounds they do need new seals at the very least if the chrome balls are badly pitted they'll need replacing to. Oil leaks are common some say if it ain't leaking it's empty but I like to try to minimize them. The most important thing though is we need pictures.

Mike

Well it's a done deal at £1400 if the paperwork checks out at the local Automobile Club of Italy office; no DVLA in Italy. One owner from new. Good servicing. The swivels are very shiny and do not appear to be pitted so hopefully just new seals although that looks like a bit of a job. Can't believe that boots are an option? So exposed. Went back tonight with jump leads and it fired up (from stone cold) before I even heard the starter motor! Ran like a watch, no missing at all in all revs. I will post pics as soon as possible but things run a little slowly in these parts! Will be in search of a workshop manual and handbook soon as the original handbook is in italiano and I'm okay in most situations but specific technical language is dificile. Ciao.

• 2 months later...

Okay so it wasn't a done deal despite agreeing a price and shaking hands!! Got this one instead a week ago. Swivels also leaking and some issues with electrics not working but very solid and reasonably straight. No owners handbook (it'd be in Italian anyway) so here's the first of what will doubtless become a raft of stupid questions. It's got 205 R16 tyres on it. What pressures do I need please?

post-109910-0-55527400-1453211837_thumb.jpg