300Tdi torque settings - what do the degrees values mean?

Troll Hunter

Please, some more help needed, but this time only in understanding the LR Manual. I'm looking at the torque values in the Defender 1996 300Tdi Workshop Manual and I can manage the Nm values, but what about the values expressed in degrees, eg the cylinder head bolts, which are variously shown as 60o + 60o or 60o + 60o + 20o, and my current concern, the rocker shaft to pedestal bolts, which are shown as 5o + 50o? What do the two or three degree values mean, please?

Please can somebody bring me into the 21st century?

Mike

I'm familiar with that type of torque specification, but in this case no initial torque value is given, so when should I start measuring degrees, and what does the 5o + 50o mean? Normally a torque value is given, followed by a single degree value of additional tightening to arrive at the final tension, not two degree values. So, back to the original question!

Mike

for a 300tdi engine torqueing of cylinder head bolts, the book say tighten bolts so the flange on bolts is touching the cylinder head, then use torque to 40nm, then using the degree dial gauge on your torque wrench to tighten the stated number of degrees -- highlighted with the green lines on page below.

you need one of these as well -------- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/140703714057?adgroupid=13936810266&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=kwd-124296811266&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=1006597&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=220881786&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

1.so bolts in touching the cylinder head then in the sequence shown in small diagram above paragraph 30

2, torque to 40nm

3.tighten all bolts to 60 degrees

4. carry out number 3 again

5. tighten the 10 longer M12 bolts a further 20 degrees

post-20-0-57899100-1448315235_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-53403400-1448315398_thumb.jpeg

Rich, you're dead right. It is a misprint, and it should be 5Nm + 50o . Western, thanks for referring me to the text in the manual, where it does show the correct values. I had only been looking at the table of torque values, since in my other LR WSM no torque values are given in the text sections. So, on with the job!

Mike