Defender heater resistor???

You might be better off buying the fan speed improvement kit which I think deletes the OEM resistor. I've got one here, but it's to work with a defender heater in a Series 3, so the wiring's completely different and the colours don't match up to the instructions!

Adapt something like this?

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/heater-resistor-britpart-da4178resistor-p-7373.html

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-100W-Metal-Aluminum-Case-Wire-wound-Power-Resistor-1R-2R-4R-8R-10R-Ohm-/400899083687?var=&hash=item5d57728da7:m:mUqgUd381ie1z6LscL-IVeQ

should only need a 1 or 2 ohm power resistor in series with the fan. (must be in the airflow before the matrix to cool the resistor)

get hold of simonb on here, he should be able to sort one of his heater fan kits for you, got one on my 110's heater it works very well.

PM me if you want one, forum discount applies. I'll be listing them on eblag again at the wknd.

• Like 1

PM me for details, but if its rubbish on fast speed, then it sounds like your motor needs and overhaul. The bearings dry out. I think (its a while since I've had one apart) but the brushes are the same as the wiper motor.

I replaced my blower resistor with a 50w aluminium cased power resistor from RS Components. It cost less than £3 inc vat.

There was nothing wrong with my blower, other than I wanted to increase the slow speed slightly.

I don't recall what R the new resistor was, but it now means that slow speed will keep the screen clear on damp days.

post-7124-0-51684700-1448753489_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 11:28 PM, mickeyw said:

I replaced my blower resistor with a 50w aluminium cased power resistor from RS Components. It cost less than £3 inc vat.

There was nothing wrong with my blower, other than I wanted to increase the slow speed slightly.

I don't recall what R the new resistor was, but it now means that slow speed will keep the screen clear on damp days.

post-7124-0-51684700-1448753489_thumb.jpg

Sorry to revive an old thread, but that ally resistor, did you use a heatsink with it? I was going to fit one but the spec says they need a heatsink.

• 6 months later...
On 11/24/2015 at 1:25 PM, Red90 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread but I could not find the part on the excellent allbrit.de link, nor anything I would be happy buying off of john craddock

(I still have a return for a a wrong product they sent where they have charged me for both and then refunded me £50 less than they should, and I may as well talk to a chocolate labrador than try and explain over an over again that 400 charged for two products, one returned as is, £150 refund for a £200 product does not add up)...

anyhoo, have 300tdi 110 which used to have light, sort of fast and full on, but now only has full-on, which is OK on motorway, but a pain elsewhere, will try Simonb, but open to any offers / recommendations (to do with the thread lol) in meantime given age of OP