Oz drivers only need apply

Boydie

In April of next year (2016) Julie and I will be crossing the Madigan Line over the Simpson Desert. Our main departure point will be Mount Dare and destination Birdsville.

Estimated greatest distance between fuel points over the desert is around 750 k's so we will be carrying, in total 250 litres of fuel for the crossing and 140 litres of water and sufficient food the desert crossing is expected to take 8 days.

The Madigan line is a barely visible track and we will be essentially going from GPS point to GPS point at Madigan's original camp sites to ensure that we are following the same route made by Madigan in 1939, he had some 30 odd camels, we have 2.5litres of diesel power.

Our route will be from the Blue Mountains to Yunta ; Marree : Oodnadatta : Eringa Water hole (a four day journey so 2 days to rest u and time for a total spanner check of the vehicle).

The trip proper will begin at:-

Mt Dare (refuel, shower, hot meal and on our way) ; Old Andado Station then to Madigan camp 1A (day 1 ;

Camps 2; 5; (camps 3&4 are in sacred areas and no access is allowed) camp 6 (day 2)

Camps 7; 8; 9 (day 3);

Camps 10/11; 12; 13 (day 4); Madigan only crossed one sand dune from Camp 10 when he realised it was Sunday so they pulled up and rested at Camp 11.

Camps 14; 15; 16 (day 5);

Camps 17; 18; 19 (day 6);

Camps 20; 21; 22 (day 7);

Missing camp 23 as it is inaccessible on private land) then down to the intersection of the French Line track and over Big Red and then to Birdsville on arriving on day 8.

Julie and I will be returning via the Birdsville track, Walkers Crossing to Innamincka, Cameron Corner; tibooburra; Bourke; Dubbo; Home.

Anyone interested? My estimate of the total trip (for Julie and I) is 9000 k's and we will be allowing 4 weeks in total. Essential spares will need to be carried including 2 good spare tyres, fuel filters, oil, food and sufficient drinking water for 8 days - the minimum being 100 litres (5 litres per person per day) and 250 litres total fuel capacity in your tank or in metal jerry cans - plastic ones can burst!

Did you watch Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures over the last 2 weekends - covered Birdville to Alice Springs via QAA, cross country to geograhic centre of the Simpson, Geosurvey Hill, the Madigan Line and the Coulson Track to Alice.

I dont like Pat all that much but these episodes were great.

Garry

Garry, yes we watched it - and me with a very red face, I think the tracks/ruts over some of the dunes he was complaining about were mine from last year when I used the Madigan line to return home from The Western Australian Great Sandy Desert. (Balgo - Alice Springs - Old Andado - Birdsville - Innamincka - Bourke - Home)

Last year I had to return home in a hurry and had to avoid going too far south due to rain closing the French line and the Oodnadatta tracks, so it was a solo trip and a 3 1/2 day crossing :blush: - this time I'm taking Julie with me and we intend taking our time and seeing more of the desert than just a dust cloud in the rear mirror !

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think we realise how arduous it was for the early explorers even as late a Len Beadell , when we travel in our powerful airconditioned 4x4s , the mossies and heat when you get out maybe gives a little taster, the fact that scenerey is so similar even at our modern speed , must have been even more mind numbing when you were doing in day what we do in an hour . The thing that struck me most was the emptiness , and how small we are .

• 6 months later...