What 'period' winch would you fit and why?

Jim-Bob

In my book the koenig lr591 winch fits your requirements perfect. It is driven direct from the crank, it will let you wheelassist, you can relatively easy make in cab controls if you wish, and it is age related. The downside is its weight and the difficulty in finding one. On a sidenote you can still get brand new koenig pto winches and they come in different gearings (only the winch though).

Regards mads

Electric winches were fitted to Series 1's and early jeeps

But super early stuff like Belleview (pre runner of the 8274) is well crude - no solenoids, just big switches, operated by Bowden cable; manual brakes operated by Bowden cable. Lovely!

I would opt for a worm drive unit. Good motors, slow but massively strong. I have a Ramsey 14,000lb worm drive on my bench - that's not the stall point, that's the SWL!

Cheers, I hadn't got round to checking that!

In my book the koenig lr591 winch fits your requirements perfect. It is driven direct from the crank, it will let you wheelassist, you can relatively easy make in cab controls if you wish, and it is age related. The downside is its weight and the difficulty in finding one. On a sidenote you can still get brand new koenig pto winches and they come in different gearings (only the winch though).

Regards mads

I shall have a look at those, guess they sell for silly money if they are hard to come by?

Electric winches were fitted to Series 1's and early jeeps

But super early stuff like Belleview (pre runner of the 8274) is well crude - no solenoids, just big switches, operated by Bowden cable; manual brakes operated by Bowden cable. Lovely!

I would opt for a worm drive unit. Good motors, slow but massively strong. I have a Ramsey 14,000lb worm drive on my bench - that's not the stall point, that's the SWL!

I won't be going that early, series 2 would be earliest in my price range pockets aren't series 1 deep! Lol

That is a serious bit of kit! What's the stall point if 14k is the SWL?!

James

I honestly don't know. It's got a Prestolite motor on it - but they avoid all this rubbish about how many horse power and stuff.

I have a minter Desert Dynamics T200 which has a stall rated at 9,500 somethings. We had a play with that down in the yard with a 9 yard skip loaded with scrap and a timber crane. I'm thinking it might be a tadge more than 9,500 lbs.

I've got a Pearce 12,000 project as well but it needs a new motor and a clutch lever

It's interesting to compare them with the Husky 8 - which is a lovely bit of kit

Nice winch! Be aware they are relatively common so don't get silly on the money... Also you should fit a reservoir to that little lot

I believe there is one included just not pictured, just needs hoses to complete it :)

Well I've got a good contact for hydraulic hoses when you need them James :)

Would you care to comment on this statement by the seller? "as we all know hydraulic pipe isn't extremely expensive to replace, so I just threw them away.".

I ask because when I had to consider buying some I was startled on discovering the price. I considered them very expensive, especially after reading experiences (on here) that bigger is most definitely better, when it comes to bore size, and bigger means even more expensive.

As a backup option you might like to be aware of this offer on the S2 Club Forum. It's also offered on the EMLRA Forum, but you probably has to register for that.

(Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch freshly removed from a S3 Lightweight ).

I have no contact with the seller, and I make no comment on it's suitability for you, it just caught my eye.

Regards

If you want overdrive then you will need a bottom pto casing , getting the two on together is a right PITA job , landrover always said it was not possible ! I managed it , just , bottom pto cases are very very rare , even back in the 70s i had to buy a new one from landrover. The top pump pto mounting just bolts in . You will also need to make a linkage . Fitting a front hydraulic winch or the equiv mech drum, will require fitting H/D front springs . The hyd tank goes behind n/s rear wheel from memory , holds 5 gallon IIRC .

There is a smaller mech drum winch by Turner that fitted on front and was driven by end of crank , same as a capstan . Dont make mistake of using a synthetic rope if you end up with a capstan . With winching the bigger they get the more dangerous , and also

drive assisting multiplies that as well !

Would you care to comment on this statement by the seller? "as we all know hydraulic pipe isn't extremely expensive to replace, so I just threw them away.".

I ask because when I had to consider buying some I was startled on discovering the price. I considered them very expensive, especially after reading experiences (on here) that bigger is most definitely better, when it comes to bore size, and bigger means even more expensive.

As a backup option you might like to be aware of this offer on the S2 Club Forum. It's also offered on the EMLRA Forum, but you probably has to register for that.

(Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch freshly removed from a S3 Lightweight ).

I have no contact with the seller, and I make no comment on it's suitability for you, it just caught my eye.

Regards

Hydraulic hoses shouldn't be that expensive, always go to the trade places that do plant and machinery, I know the local one make them to order while you wait for reasonable prices!

I can't seem to join the series 2 forum which is annoying! Would like to check that ad out!

If you want overdrive then you will need a bottom pto casing , getting the two on together is a right PITA job , landrover always said it was not possible ! I managed it , just , bottom pto cases are very very rare , even back in the 70s i had to buy a new one from landrover. The top pump pto mounting just bolts in . You will also need to make a linkage . Fitting a front hydraulic winch or the equiv mech drum, will require fitting H/D front springs . The hyd tank goes behind n/s rear wheel from memory , holds 5 gallon IIRC .

There is a smaller mech drum winch by Turner that fitted on front and was driven by end of crank , same as a capstan . Dont make mistake of using a synthetic rope if you end up with a capstan . With winching the bigger they get the more dangerous , and also

drive assisting multiplies that as well !

If I go pto I doubt I'll use an overdrive, I think the ashcroft high ratio kit is a more reliable way to go to avoid tired overdrives! And the cost (or sale) of an overdrive would buy the kit!

I won't have a capstan, not keen on them, it will be a drum winch of some sort.

James

You could do what I may do: get a modern electric winch with synthetic rope and make a heavy canvas cover for it. The synthetic rope would look a bit out of period but it would save a fair bit of weight and be out of sight most of the time anyway.

It depends why you want it, I suppose.

Worm drive ones are certainly usually in the "not mucking about" category - H14W is rated to 14000lbs too, but that's set by the pressure relief valve or PTO overload clutch, they're reckoned to be good for over 20k if you're brave. :ph34r:

I have a mate with the PTO overload clutch wound up some, and a repaired and reinforced bumper after the winch started to pull itself out of the front of the bumper...

I did see this, and they are not too far away, but put everything on for silly money to start with! I have noticed they are chancers and regularly reduce the prices to try and shift bits!

"This is a new business so keep your eye on us for more parts"

Not if they're going to be that expensive!!!

I'll keep watching it Ross, some other parts I'm watching of theirs have dropped by 35% from the original asking price as they can't shift them...watch this space! I think they realise after a while that making a good profit is good for the business but if you can't sell anything then the business isn't going work so start adjusting prices to suit!